Rep. Nancy Mace, a first-term Republican from South Carolina, has introduced a bill to decriminalize cannabis at the federal level

Whilst you cannot send your kids to pick up your 'fix,' everywhere it has been legalized has made it easy to acquire and the black market has disappeared. We are not talking about theories here, we are talking about things that are actually happening around us and have happened in the past.

There is no illegal market for booze worth mentioning. The day pot is legalized, there will be no illegal market for it worth mentioning as well.

That wasn't the impression I had. There was a news story on TV here about unlicensed grass pushers in Colorado still doing a tremendous business.

If the taxes are high enough, people will do what they can to evade them and those taxes are what provides the profit margin for the gangsters.

What do you think happens when a couple of keys of grass fall off the back of the back of a truck on their way to the retailer?

The key to eliminate the black market for grass is to sell the product everywhere and putting oz's on display in the cookies and hoho aisle at Walmart. Forcing people to go to special "dispensaries" where there are sky high prices doesn't help.

Because all those bootleggers and speakeasies continued to be prevalent after booze was legalized, right?

Oh, they didn't! What a shocker.
Yet drug cartels operate full blast in California, Oregon and other pot legal states.

I don't know how to explain today's reality to you except to say you are woefully ignorant of the issue.
Crack a book and find out what happened to the Mafia after prohibition ended.
Hint...it did not go away.

Black markets are actually rather well understood. There is no question whatsoever that a legal market would almost obliterate the black market for MJ almost instantly. The black market that remains will not even be worth commenting on, just like bootleggers of booze are virtually nonexistent. They minute black market for booze is utterly irrelevant.
Apparently, despite what you claim, the drug cartels thrive in the US. Smoke less...think more.

Yet drug cartels operate full blast in California, Oregon and other pot legal states.

I don't know how to explain today's reality to you except to say you are woefully ignorant of the issue.
Crack a book and find out what happened to the Mafia after prohibition ended.
Hint...it did not go away.

Apparently, despite what you claim, the drug cartels thrive in the US. Smoke less...think more.

Your argument boils down to the idea that criminals will criminal whether people drink and or smoke or not.

As well as every other state in the union. There will always be a market for LSD, opium and cocaine like substances.
Well, surprise, the drug cartels are harvesting weed that is grown and tended to on farms grown on
remote public lands. Read the link I provided.

Well, surprise, the drug cartels are harvesting weed that is grown and tended to on farms grown on

They do and before long people will be able to grow it on their back porch instead just the same as I can brew beer in my kitchen.

They've been growing weed on federal lands for decades. Prohibition only makes the forbidden fruit seem more desirable.

They've been growing weed on federal lands for decades. Prohibition only makes the forbidden fruit seem more desirable.
There is no "weed prohibition" in Oregon, California, Washington and other states that have legalized
the drug yet find Mexican drug cartels operating on their public lands.

Whataboutism.

Pot is an INCREDIBLY dangerous and addictive drug, but the addict simply doesn't care who gets hurt.

All the addict cares about?

Their fix.
Again, pot is less addictive than alcohol or nicotine. This is a scientific fact.

I have never heard of anyone dying from a marijuana overdose, but people die from alcohol poisoning every day.

So is alcohol. And no one is talking about making pot legal for teens.
If you legalize pot it will become more available to children

Yes booze is harmful.

But we dont need to add to the social problems it causes by legalizing drugs

There is no "weed prohibition" in Oregon, California, Washington and other states that have legalized
the drug yet find Mexican drug cartels operating on their public lands.
They make more money smuggling LSD, Opium derivatives and Cocaine than they do selling pot grown in our national Forrest's.

If you legalize pot it will become more available to children

Yes booze is harmful.

But we dont need to add to the social problems it causes by legalizing drugs

The opposite is true. The Black market targets schools.

The social problems caused by the draconian interdict and incarcerate laws out weight the problems of legal, responsible recreational drug use by its' free citizens. The Prohibition of alcohol, which took a Constitutional Amendment to create and dissolve, proved that.

Why not?

Coca leaves themselves are just a little more of a stimulant than caffeine or nicotine.

I've had coca leaf tea in South America and I even chewed a small wad of leaves while hiking at high altitudes. The natives have been doing that for centuries

Sure, and opium poppy is just a pretty flower. Surely you see the many potential problems with this on a larger scale.

Forum List

Back