Remembering A Baseball Great!

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Baseball....the Queen of All Sports!

Talent, anxious moments, competition...add the statistics and the strategy, and you have the thinking person's sport.

Now, add history.

The famed Green-Wood Cemetery in Brooklyn, of which I am a member, is memorializing a true baseball original.

1. "James Creighton, Jr. (April 15, 1841 – October 18, 1862) was an American baseball player during the game's amateur era, and is considered by historians to be its first superstar. He played for the Excelsior of Brooklyn from 1860 to 1862,,,," Jim Creighton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. "....Creighton, who revolutionized America’s national pastime.... invented the “speedball” — grandfather of the fastball — and in doing so, shifted the game’s focus away from fielding to the showdown between pitcher and batter,....

3. “Before Creighton came along, the pitcher lobbed the ball for the batter to hit,” he said. “The batter could even specify where he wanted a pitch.”

a. At the time, the sport of Cricket was the most popular sport in the United States

4. .... a delivery so quick that game organizers brought in the so-called “father of baseball” Henry Chadwick — a fellow Brooklynite — to determine whether Creighton’s form was legal, according to Richman.

5. In an era of amateurs, Creighton was one of the first players paid to play, which made him a de facto professional — though the payments were made in secret,...

6. ... baseball’s original martyr — he ruptured his spleen hitting a home run in 1862 and died days later at the age of 21,...

7. A memorial to one of baseball’s most important innovators has finally been restored to its former glory.

Green-Wood Cemetery unveiled the restored monument to Jim Creighton — the seminal baseball player who pitched for the Brooklyn Excelsiors in the 1860s — on April 15, Creighton’s 173rd birthday.

8. “It may very well be the first baseball monument in America,” said Green-Wood historian Jeff Richman. “It’s a precursor for the idea of Monument Park at Yankee Stadium.”

9. The cemetery, which is the final resting place for early baseball greats including Chadwick and Charles Ebbets, footed the bill to restore the monument and replace the marble baseball had that long ago vanished from atop the obelisk.

10. ... an important gesture for a baseball great who has received less credit than he is due.
“He is the most influential baseball player not in the hall of fame,”"
Dusting off the plate: Baseball great?s restored burial monument unveiled ? Brooklyn Daily

BTW....in addition to paid tours of the huge, and beautiful cemetery, any may tour on their own free of charge....and discover a history not found in any books.

"A magnet for history buffs and bird watchers, Green-Wood is a Revolutionary War historic site (the Battle of Long Island was fought in 1776 across what is now its grounds), a designated site on the Civil War Discovery Trail and a registered member of the Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary System."
About / History | Green-Wood

Creighton may have 'invented' the fastball.....but I wonder how fast he could pitch.

The hardest throwers today can get the ball to a velocity of 100 mph as it crosses the plate.

" SAN DIEGO – Aroldis Chapman(notes) was summoned from the bullpen one batter too late to make a difference in the game. No matter. The 22-year-old Cincinnati Reds left-hander made do by making history Friday night, throwing the fastest pitch recorded in a major league game, a 105-mph fastball." http://sports.yahoo.com/news/chapman-throws-fastest-pitch-ever-074900166--mlb.html

Wow there should definitely be something for him in th Hall of Fame. Thanks for that PC!

Creighton may have 'invented' the fastball.....but I wonder how fast he could pitch.

The hardest throwers today can get the ball to a velocity of 100 mph as it crosses the plate.

" SAN DIEGO – Aroldis Chapman(notes) was summoned from the bullpen one batter too late to make a difference in the game. No matter. The 22-year-old Cincinnati Reds left-hander made do by making history Friday night, throwing the fastest pitch recorded in a major league game, a 105-mph fastball." http://sports.yahoo.com/news/chapman-throws-fastest-pitch-ever-074900166--mlb.html

I met Nolan Ryan who is (was?) on record as being the fastest pitcher in history (officially). He and most the Angels signed their names on a piece of scrap paper I had with me when I went to watch them play. I was just a kid. Anyway, I put all of their autographs in a lockbox for safe keeping. Also in that lockbox was some envelope wax someone had given me. One day it got really hot and the wax melted all over my signatures. Anyway ... needless to say ... the keepsake turned into a piece of junk. :mad::D

" SAN DIEGO – Aroldis Chapman(notes) was summoned from the bullpen one batter too late to make a difference in the game. No matter. The 22-year-old Cincinnati Reds left-hander made do by making history Friday night, throwing the fastest pitch recorded in a major league game, a 105-mph fastball." Chapman throws fastest pitch ever recorded - Yahoo Sports
Too bad Steve Dalkowski never made it to the big leagues.

Forum List

Back