read this before you listen to teacher protest news

Not a one of you whiny crybabies who complain about teachers had ever mentioned student responsibilities. It's nothing but teachers teachers teachers. No kids no parents. So kids bear no responsibility at all. All they need to do is show up and wham a good teacher will make them a top student without an ounce of effort. That's what you are saying besides be a crybaby.

I worked in the private sector my whole career. Talk about find of useless unproductive overpaid workers. The higher up the worse they were.

Then I invite you to give me your paycheck for a year and I will give you mine. We'll see how long you feel that it sounds great. (Oh, and you can also perform the training and duties my district requires during the "third of the year vacation" you seem to admire so much.

And understand how this works. You ONLY get paid for the days you work. You do not get paid for weekends, holidays or the "third of the year vacation" that you'll have. Oh wait, you do have 5 sick days you'll be paid for...after that, you can be sick and stay home, but you won't be paid for that day.
I posted a set of benefits for teachers from a state that was discussed, but nobody discussed it. Feel free to post a link to your handbook and hourly pay or salary so we can take a look.

http://www.davenportschools.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Teacher-Master-Contract-2017-2020.pdf
Some things I like:

1. Religious leave. I have never seen this before in the private sector jobs I've applied for/had/read about.
2. 185 days seems quite low for work days.
3. Very few jobs I've seen get all those holidays off.

So what don't you like?

Actually, I like teaching very much. But, to answer your question, I don't like that I don't get paid holidays as is customary in the private sector. I don't like that I don't get paid vacation as is customary in the private sector. I don't like that buffoons think they are experts on education because they made it through school.

You know what else isn't customary in the private sector? 4 months vacation every year. Not to mention, you have to actually be useful on the job.

You forgot a key word: unpaid.

All teacher "vacations" are unpaid. Most people call that unemployment.

Then I invite you to give me your paycheck for a year and I will give you mine. We'll see how long you feel that it sounds great. (Oh, and you can also perform the training and duties my district requires during the "third of the year vacation" you seem to admire so much.

And understand how this works. You ONLY get paid for the days you work. You do not get paid for weekends, holidays or the "third of the year vacation" that you'll have. Oh wait, you do have 5 sick days you'll be paid for...after that, you can be sick and stay home, but you won't be paid for that day.
I posted a set of benefits for teachers from a state that was discussed, but nobody discussed it. Feel free to post a link to your handbook and hourly pay or salary so we can take a look.

http://www.davenportschools.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Teacher-Master-Contract-2017-2020.pdf
Some things I like:

1. Religious leave. I have never seen this before in the private sector jobs I've applied for/had/read about.

So what don't you like?

Actually, I like teaching very much. But, to answer your question, I don't like that I don't get paid holidays as is customary in the private sector. I don't like that I don't get paid vacation as is customary in the private sector. I don't like that buffoons think they are experts on education because they made it through school.

You know what else isn't customary in the private sector? 4 months vacation every year. Not to mention, you have to actually be useful on the job.

I don't get 4 months vacation every year, genius. I get 2 and a half months where I am laid off so parents can take their children on vacation. I literally am paid ONLY for the days I work and my employer holds some of my paycheck back each month in the district's account, accruing interest on MY money that they will keep, so I can get a check during the time I am laid off...that prevents me from collecting unemployment when I am not getting paid...oh, and there are training requirements that I must meet that requires me to go to work during the time I am laid off, so I can't take a second job. And, if I'm not useful, why do they invite me back each year?

I have to laugh at you "experts".

Last edited:
Red states have been waging war on education in general but apparently the human beings that are being paid peanuts to enact this backwards attack on education have had enough. The failure of conservative ideas and policies in all these red states as they hung their hat on the failed idea of 'trickle-down economics' is coming home to roost. Red states are facing huge mounting debt and deficits as their failed policies cave in on them. Teachers in all these states are just the tip of the iceberg.

Red states have been waging war on education in general but apparently the human beings that are being paid peanuts to enact this backwards attack on education have had enough. The failure of conservative ideas and policies in all these red states as they hung their hat on the failed idea of 'trickle-down economics' is coming home to roost. Red states are facing huge mounting debt and deficits as their failed policies cave in on them. Teachers in all these states are just the tip of the iceberg.

CALIFORNIA and ILLINOIS

Their debt is not sustainable

40k a year isn't a lot of money anywhere. Especially not for babysitting hundreds of children each day.
40K, total health coverage, a third of the year is vacation, and it's a job where results literally do not matter (read: there is no way to do the job wrong). In other words, you can be utterly retarded and have this job.

40K sounds GREAT!

that's because you're not very bright

If only your English teachers could see you now. :rolleyes:

You're not jillian bad, but close..close..

Some things I like:

So what don't you like?

No, they aren't. I used to work for Tucson Unified School District. Right before summer vacation, every teacher (and other permanent employee who didn't work in the summer) got to choose between a lump sum payout, or a continuation of their wage through the summer. They do NOT get paid just for the 9-10 months they work, and then go "unpaid" through the summer, because OBVIOUSLY, the school district couldn't expect to keep employees that way any more than any other employer could. And most of the teachers then turned around and got summer jobs on top of that.

Also on the subject of teacher protests, how many of US approach our employers to ask for a raise this way? I certainly wouldn't go in sobbing about how I can't make ends meet, telling them how greedy and penurious they are, and threatening to walk out and picket if I don't get my way, because I would expect to be fired, and rightfully so.

If I want a raise, I talk about the great value my employer is getting for his money by employing me. So let's hear it. Exactly what wonders are teachers performing that warrants a raise?

Some things I like:

So what don't you like?

No, they aren't. I used to work for Tucson Unified School District. Right before summer vacation, every teacher (and other permanent employee who didn't work in the summer) got to choose between a lump sum payout, or a continuation of their wage through the summer. They do NOT get paid just for the 9-10 months they work, and then go "unpaid" through the summer, because OBVIOUSLY, the school district couldn't expect to keep employees that way any more than any other employer could. And most of the teachers then turned around and got summer jobs on top of that.

You are in error. What you saw was the school district taking the money the teacher made in 10 months and divide it by 12. They kept part of each teacher's salary back while earning interest in their accounts on the teacher's money.

Also on the subject of teacher protests, how many of US approach our employers to ask for a raise this way? I certainly wouldn't go in sobbing about how I can't make ends meet, telling them how greedy and penurious they are, and threatening to walk out and picket if I don't get my way, because I would expect to be fired, and rightfully so.

If I want a raise, I talk about the great value my employer is getting for his money by employing me. So let's hear it. Exactly what wonders are teachers performing that warrants a raise?

How many people in the private sector work on a salary scale that cannot be negotiated?

Some things I like:

So what don't you like?

Really? That' is about as common as hen's teeth today. In the districts I have taught in, that is an option only if you are not returning to that school district, or have a good reason to be paid early. I would say only a few ever exercise that option. . Usually, teachers have at least 4 full days of professional development training (unpaid) right in the middle of summer break. Plus, you have other professional developments held outside of the school districts that you must attend. Plus, you normally return to school at least 3-4 days before the kids do to prepare your classrooms and plan your lessons. Guess what else is unpaid?

I have taught in 7 school districts and they all are the same. Those were in two different states and for the federal government. Why do you think I would lie about something like that?

I'll bet the other teachers here will back me up on that. You haven't seen any of them disagree, have you?

40K, total health coverage, a third of the year is vacation, and it's a job where results literally do not matter (read: there is no way to do the job wrong). In other words, you can be utterly retarded and have this job.

40K sounds GREAT!

Some things I like:

So what don't you like?

Not sure why this matters if you're salaried. What's the difference between getting paid

$5,000 / month for 8 work months and 4 vacation months
vs
$7,500 / month for 8 work months and nothing for your 4 vacation months?

It's still 8 months of work and 4 months of rest for $60,000.

40k a year isn't a lot of money anywhere. Especially not for babysitting hundreds of children each day.

40K sounds GREAT!

That is because most intelligent people have you on "ignore".
I guess that explains why you don't.

Some things I like:

So what don't you like?

Really? That' is about as common as hen's teeth today.
So, what are you arguing about again? Whether you get paid up front or as you go it's still X amount of money for Y amount of work. So how many hours did you work in the year and what was your income for the year? Or are you complaining about how some of your summer vacation involved sitting in seminars (Boo Boo!) and eating?

Some things I like:

So what don't you like?

Not sure why this matters if you're salaried. What's the difference between getting paid

vs

40K sounds GREAT!

4 vacation months? There's no point in trying to reason with you if you're going to lie.

Some things I like:

So what don't you like?

vs

40K sounds GREAT!

4 vacation months? There's no point in trying to reason with you if you're going to lie.
I just posted an example to make a point, not to imply you have exactly 4 vacation months. The numbers are there for easy math, seeing as how you're pretty thick.

Wonders?

Educating our children is a wonder

Public employees are at the mercy of elected officials
In these states, they are officials trying to get by on the cheap. These teachers have not had an increase in pay in a decade, they are among the lowest paid teachers in the country

Their only option is to walk out

if the news report doesn't give you salary information when they cry about teacher wages...then it's socialist propaganda.

40k is a lot of money in MooseJaw Iowa.

They ACT like they care about the classroom, put duct tape on books and go out into the street and beg for money.

Socialist alliance so they can work 20 years and get public money for the rest of their life.
Here we see the difference between educated folk who appreciate the value of an education, versus Billy-Bob's dumba$$ take on the subject.

Forum List

Back