RCP poll average (weeks ago Hillary ahead by 8%) shrinks to just 2.2%, with a week still to go

RCPavg_01Nov2016.jpg

The RealClearPolitics average of polls has had Hillary ahead by 6 to 8 percentage points for the last 6 months.

But now in the last few weeks, as people are finding out more and more about Hillary's crimes, her lead has steadily shrunk to just 2%. And there's still a week to go.

Her lead in electoral votes is also shrinking.

And there's still a week to go.

The bell is tolling, Hillary... it's tolling for you.

Under 5, which is why the polls being within the MOE makes me thing we may be in for a surprise.
But frankly Hillary winning by 100 or so EV's wouldn't surprise me either. The electorate is simply too volatile for accurate predictions.
I think the under represented Trump supporters are higher than that, as it was an 8% swing with Brexit and some studies put it at 5%.

Considering the continued roll out of the BI story and its affect on those who have not yet heard it but will by election day, and I think 10%+ is reasonable.

And I cannot see any other event taking such a huge impact on the election, except maybe a terrorist attack on USA soil, and that would help Trump, not Hillary.

What ammo does Hillary have left? She has fired it all.

10% seems a stretch to me, and of course we all know the national poll is only an indicator.

The State that interests me most if Michigan. If THAT goes red, Trumps got it.
North Carolina. He doesn't have a path without it and Pennsylvania and we will see North Carolina come in first. If he loses North Carolina, I'd go to bed.

Check out the maps on Electoral-Vote.com and RCP. Trump's path even with the FBI release remains narrow. He can win Ohio and Florida and actually lose the race.

The tipping point state has been moving between 3-5 into "blue" territory, with the lighter blues getting more and more prevalent.

NC isn't a nail in the coffin, but it would be a big blow unless more states go "light" blue.

Under 5, which is why the polls being within the MOE makes me thing we may be in for a surprise.
But frankly Hillary winning by 100 or so EV's wouldn't surprise me either. The electorate is simply too volatile for accurate predictions.
I think the under represented Trump supporters are higher than that, as it was an 8% swing with Brexit and some studies put it at 5%.

Considering the continued roll out of the BI story and its affect on those who have not yet heard it but will by election day, and I think 10%+ is reasonable.

And I cannot see any other event taking such a huge impact on the election, except maybe a terrorist attack on USA soil, and that would help Trump, not Hillary.

10% seems a stretch to me, and of course we all know the national poll is only an indicator.

North Carolina. He doesn't have a path without it and Pennsylvania and we will see North Carolina come in first. If he loses North Carolina, I'd go to bed.

Check out the maps on Electoral-Vote.com and RCP. Trump's path even with the FBI release remains narrow. He can win Ohio and Florida and actually lose the race.
If Trump wins Florduh and Ohio he has won the election, in essence. While it is mathematically possible for him to lose having won those states, they are so representative of the electorate that it is implausible he can win both and still lose.
Ohio isn't a bellweather state anymore. It simply isn't necessary. Check the polling and you'll see that Hillary can easily win North Carolina and Pennsylvania without winning Florida and Ohio and win. Here, created from 270towin.com is a very plausible map for Hillary. It represents in some cases her worst scenario that she still wins:

oJD2r.png

Early voting in Colorado and Nevada show Clinton is probably going to win those states. New Mexico is surprisingly Blue still. Notice here that Trump is winning Pennsylvania, Ohio and Florida and STILL LOSING.

So what states flip on that map? I think his only shot there is North Carolina.

But it won't because Snyder poisoned black people in Flint and they are pissed! Oh you think Flint citizens aren't going to show up?

Oh and you forget Trump pissed off Muslims and Dearborn Michigan is the Arab capital of the USA.

Oh and Trump pissed off a lot of women and we have a lot of those too.

If you have an actual response, make it. This drivel doesn't count.
You don't think Flint residents are mad at Republicans? You don't think Republicans are going to be punished for Rick Snyder poisoning blacks? Boy are you dumb then. You must think those people are stupid. Well of course because you gave them lead poisoning.

And you don't think the muslim capital of the world is going to punish trump? You are fucking StUPID then!

Then why is the vote within 5% and tightening?

And your Flint claims of responsibility are partisan hackery and not worthy of an answer.

The tipping point state has been moving between 3-5 into "blue" territory, with the lighter blues getting more and more prevalent.

NC isn't a nail in the coffin, but it would be a big blow unless more states go "light" blue.
I don't know. I think that a lot of the states out West that are blue are probably pretty solid, even with this FBI thing. The leads there are fairly strong and are backed up by a lot of early voting. Without North Carolina, he's got to flip Pennsylvania, Florida, Ohio, and at least one of the Wisconsin, Michigan, or Minnesota group. There's a lot of evidence that Colorado, Nevada, and New Mexico are effectively off the board for the GOP.

I'll walk it back though. If Hillary wins Pennsylvania and North Carolina, I'm planning to head to bed. At that point the only real mystery would be the Senate control and I can wait till the morning for that to shake out.

But it won't because Snyder poisoned black people in Flint and they are pissed! Oh you think Flint citizens aren't going to show up?

Oh and you forget Trump pissed off Muslims and Dearborn Michigan is the Arab capital of the USA.

You don't think Flint residents are mad at Republicans? You don't think Republicans are going to be punished for Rick Snyder poisoning blacks? Boy are you dumb then. You must think those people are stupid. Well of course because you gave them lead poisoning.

And you don't think the muslim capital of the world is going to punish trump? You are fucking StUPID then!

And your Flint claims of responsibility are partisan hackery and not worthy of an answer.
I don't see it that way, black people don't see it that way, and you wouldn't see it that way if Jennifer Granholm were the governor you hack.

Just wait and see Mr. Polls.

Should I go back 4 or 8 years and show you what polls were saying about McCain and Romney?

View attachment 96268

The RealClearPolitics average of polls has had Hillary ahead by 6 to 8 percentage points for the last 6 months.

But now in the last few weeks, as people are finding out more and more about Hillary's crimes, her lead has steadily shrunk to just 2%. And there's still a week to go.

Her lead in electoral votes is also shrinking.

And there's still a week to go.

The bell is tolling, Hillary... it's tolling for you.
Take a look at your own graph. Hillary has held onto the 47-49% range. Trump's moved up from the 42% (his probable floor) to the 45% range. Trump's Achilles Heel this whole election cycle has been the question of how he expands his base. It's literally been the only real question. Every time Trump shuts the hell up Hillary helps send him votes because she's a bad candidate. And when Trump screws up he heads right back down to his floor.

The big question for the next 7 days is easy: Do the undecided and moderate GOP voters vote Trump or not? Because he needs ALL of those.

I don't know. I think that a lot of the states out West that are blue are probably pretty solid, even with this FBI thing. The leads there are fairly strong and are backed up by a lot of early voting. Without North Carolina, he's got to flip Pennsylvania, Florida, Ohio, and at least one of the Wisconsin, Michigan, or Minnesota group. There's a lot of evidence that Colorado, Nevada, and New Mexico are effectively off the board for the GOP.

I'll walk it back though. If Hillary wins Pennsylvania and North Carolina, I'm planning to head to bed. At that point the only real mystery would be the Senate control and I can wait till the morning for that to shake out.

More than likely those are more accurate "tipping points". Of course the volatility of this election means that can change tomorrow.

I don't see it that way, black people don't see it that way, and you wouldn't see it that way if Jennifer Granholm were the governor you hack.

Should I go back 4 or 8 years and show you what polls were saying about McCain and Romney?

2008 and 2012 rules don't apply to a populist wave like we are seeing. It's a different dynamic, and missing the monolithic black vote seen in those elections.

Women may skew toward Hillary, but in nowhere near the numbers blacks skewed towards Obama.

The people responsible in Flint were the ones who decided not to treat the water with Phosphoric acid to reduce leaching caused by the change in water supply. Considering dems run that city, the person is more likely to have D next to their name than an R.

More than likely those are more accurate "tipping points". Of course the volatility of this election means that can change tomorrow.
Yeah, it's been a crazy one. But I still think those turn out to be "the tipping point" states. If we wake up next Monday and Trump is showing a lead in the average polling data in North Carolina and Pennsylvania, then it'll be pretty much over. If Clinton is still leading in those two, then Tuesday will be a cake walk for her.

There's not much evidence the polls are off in any significant way this time. A lot of Red states have purged the voting records if folks haven't voted in a few years. Despite that, we aren't seeing a huge flood of GOP registrations that Trump seems to be banking on. During the primaries, the GOP races were pretty well predicted by the polls with Trump actually under performing his polls a bit. I know a lot of folks here are banking on some sort of silent majority showing up, but so far no evidence of it has happened.

I will say this: I'm listening to the FiveThirtyEight podcast. They're daily right now and every day Nate Silver, who correctly called a lot of elections recently (though he did screw up his call on the GOP nomination) has been warning that if ever there was a year for a polling error to slip in, this is that year. It sounds like he believes his models in that Clinton will win, but Trump has a good chance for an upset.

2008 and 2012 rules don't apply to a populist wave like we are seeing. It's a different dynamic, and missing the monolithic black vote seen in those elections.

Women may skew toward Hillary, but in nowhere near the numbers blacks skewed towards Obama.

The people responsible in Flint were the ones who decided not to treat the water with Phosphoric acid to reduce leaching caused by the change in water supply. Considering dems run that city, the person is more likely to have D next to their name than an R.
Turns out this isn't even about Trump and Hillary. The GOP knows she's going to win. This FBI thing was a desperate hail mary. And it wasn't even about saving Trump. It's about the Senate

According to polls the Republicans’ chances of maintaining a majority in the upper chamber are down to 17 percent ― a precipitous fall from a couple of weeks ago when they had about a 60 percent shot at holding on.

Are you kidding me? You don't think the gender gap will be bigger this year than it was in 2012?

Gender Gap in 2012 Vote Is Largest in Gallup's History

2008 and 2012 rules don't apply to a populist wave like we are seeing.
Total Aside: Is populist the right word for Trump?

I'd agree with that during the GOP primaries as Trump had clearly tapped into something that was galvanizing a plurality of GOP voters. But in the general Trump hasn't proven to be all that populist. He's not pulling from the DNC ranks of voters. He's not reaching across demographic lines. There's a lot of evidence that he's got maybe 40% of the electorate that really like him, and the rest either hate him or are lukewarm.

So I'm not sure populist is the right word here. His followers are clearly VERY fired up to support him, the problem is that his followers are just about it. I'd think that in this election, a true populist would have caught fire in the electorate and that just hasn't happened.

Turns out this isn't even about Trump and Hillary. The GOP knows she's going to win. This FBI thing was a desperate hail mary. And it wasn't even about saving Trump. It's about the Senate

According to polls the Republicans’ chances of maintaining a majority in the upper chamber are down to 17 percent ― a precipitous fall from a couple of weeks ago when they had about a 60 percent shot at holding on.
That's been my read too. The real impact of the Hillary bombshell isn't the presidential race, it's the Senate.

Yeah, it's been a crazy one. But I still think those turn out to be "the tipping point" states. If we wake up next Monday and Trump is showing a lead in the average polling data in North Carolina and Pennsylvania, then it'll be pretty much over. If Clinton is still leading in those two, then Tuesday will be a cake walk for her.

There's not much evidence the polls are off in any significant way this time. A lot of Red states have purged the voting records if folks haven't voted in a few years. Despite that, we aren't seeing a huge flood of GOP registrations that Trump seems to be banking on. During the primaries, the GOP races were pretty well predicted by the polls with Trump actually under performing his polls a bit. I know a lot of folks here are banking on some sort of silent majority showing up, but so far no evidence of it has happened.

I will say this: I'm listening to the FiveThirtyEight podcast. They're daily right now and every day Nate Silver, who correctly called a lot of elections recently (though he did screw up his call on the GOP nomination) has been warning that if ever there was a year for a polling error to slip in, this is that year. It sounds like he believes his models in that Clinton will win, but Trump has a good chance for an upset.

In the rust belt States Trump gets support from Union type Dems (the rank and file, not the leaders). Have you noticed how quiet the Unions have been this cycle? The leaders all go Dem, but they know they have dissent in the ranks.

If the #'s stay in the MOV in the light blue States, I think Trump can pull it off.

I remember Patriot fans always saying the Giants "got lucky" in their last two Superbowls, to which I replied "If you want luck out of the equation, be up by 30 at the end of the 3rd Quarter. "

2008 and 2012 rules don't apply to a populist wave like we are seeing.
Total Aside: Is populist the right word for Trump?

I'd agree with that during the GOP primaries as Trump had clearly tapped into something that was galvanizing a plurality of GOP voters. But in the general Trump hasn't proven to be all that populist. He's not pulling from the DNC ranks of voters. He's not reaching across demographic lines. There's a lot of evidence that he's got maybe 40% of the electorate that really like him, and the rest either hate him or are lukewarm.

So I'm not sure populist is the right word here. His followers are clearly VERY fired up to support him, the problem is that his followers are just about it. I'd think that in this election, a true populist would have caught fire in the electorate and that just hasn't happened.

I think he is pulling in the Rust Belt area rank and file union people, to me it explains the lack of Loud and Out Union support for Hillary.

He is a Populist, but one with a ton of baggage which in a normal election would preclude his even coming close to winning, but again, this is a weird election.

Trump has outs in the EV if the numbers keep skewing to him, and again, anything in the MOV is susceptible to the "hidden trump vote" which may or may not exist.

Are you kidding me? You don't think the gender gap will be bigger this year than it was in 2012?

Gender Gap in 2012 Vote Is Largest in Gallup's History

If Hillary wasn't such a horrible candidate it should have been even bigger. It may be the biggest, but not by much, and not by as much as it should have been.

It is not the monolithic black vote by any stretch of the imagination.

Trump has outs in the EV if the numbers keep skewing to him, and again, anything in the MOV is susceptible to the "hidden trump vote" which may or may not exist.

There's a huge number of us hidden Hillary supporters. We don't want to argue with co workers or neighbors who have hated the Clinton's since 1992. Fuck em. They're just going to have to get used to 4-8 more years of Clinton being our leader.

There's a huge number of us hidden Hillary supporters. We don't want to argue with co workers or neighbors who have hated the Clinton's since 1992. Fuck em. They're just going to have to get used to 4-8 more years of Clinton being our leader.

No, there isn't. Nice attempt at trying to get on another bandwagon.

Forum List

Back