Rare 310-year-old violin stolen

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
The FBI is in hot pursuit this Christmas season of a violin thief . The stolen violin is a 1710 Amati, crafted by one of the most important violin makers in musical instrument history, Hieronymus Amati II. It’s in excellent condition and, according to auction records, sold for just over half a million dollars in 2013 — it would likely be worth more than $700,000 today.

The 310-year-old violin belongs to Rowland Weinstein, who is not a musician but an art dealer who splits his time between Los Angeles and San Francisco. The violin, which he allowed musician friends and professional violinists to play, was in his white Tesla, parked outside his Los Feliz home, when someone stole the vehicle from his property Dec. 8.

A spokesperson for the FBI, Laura Eimiller, said no suspects have been identified and no one has been charged yet. Neither car nor violin has turned up and it’s not certain, she said, that the instrument was the thief’s target. "According to LAPD, a car thief is believed to have been in the area,” Eimiller said. “It’s possible that the person who stole it may not have known the value and discovered it [later] and may try to pawn it or sell it overseas."

Weinstein said. “It’s so fragile. My biggest fear is that someone who doesn’t know what they have, will put it in the wrong environment, and it will get damaged or destroyed.” Weinstein's instrument was so valuable because it was made during a seminal “golden period” in the history of violin making — 1700-1720 — and because the Amati family is credited with birthing the modern violin. The family crafted string instruments in the Italian town of Cremona, starting in the mid 16th century.

Weinstein said >> “I feel extremely close to it, because it’s a part of history that has touched so many lives. Not just the lives of people who have been lucky enough to play it, but those who have heard it over 300 years.”

Rare 310-year-old violin stolen from art dealer's Los Feliz home (yahoo.com)

The violin, which he allowed musician friends and professional violinists to play, was in his white Tesla, parked outside his Los Feliz home, when someone stole the vehicle from his property Dec. 8.
You don't leave a $700,000 item or deed parked in your car outside your property.
Weinstein's instrument was so valuable because it was made during a seminal “golden period” in the history of violin making — 1700-1720 —
The musician friends better take a few woodworking classes and learn to restore some violins that aren't in such great shape, and make new ones to the same classical standards.

The musician friends better take a few woodworking classes and learn to restore some violins that aren't in such great shape, and make new ones to the same classical standards.
They've been making them the same way for 400 years.

The violin, which he allowed musician friends and professional violinists to play, was in his white Tesla, parked outside his Los Feliz home, when someone stole the vehicle from his property Dec. 8.
You don't leave a $700,000 item or deed parked in your car outside your property.
Weinstein's instrument was so valuable because it was made during a seminal “golden period” in the history of violin making — 1700-1720 —

Plus I thought Teslas were pretty near impossible to steal? But I do agree with you, no way I would leave a valuable instrument like that in my car out of my sight.

No way.

If the thief figured out that it's a valuable musical instrument, he may be holding out for a high-priced buyer. They don't come along every day.....but when they do, it's big money.

Any guesses on how this is going to end up ?
Hopefully, it ends up with an honest pawnbroker or dealer, who will return it to its rightful owner. Car thieves aren't known for being heavy into the arts, so it may well end up at a pawn shop, unless he just gave it to someone he knows who plays music, and if he's found out through the news how valuable it is, he's trying to figure out how to steal it back.

If the thief has a wealthy collector willing to pay for it. It will not be seen again. If not it will show up in a pawn shop, if not destroyed by the crook.

Mr. Goldenfarber, pResident of State farm, has estimated the value of the violin with depreciation.
The owner owes him $33 .

China has a voracious market for high end European classic violins.
A wealthy asian collector will buy it on the black market, and the violin will never be seen again. ... :cool:

Last edited:
If the thief has a wealthy collector willing to pay for it. It will not be seen again. If not it will show up in a pawn shop, if not destroyed by the crook.
Why would he destroy it ? He could always sell it to a violinist for a few hundred dollars, and if he doesn't know its value, he may think he's getting a good deal.

I'm a violinist. I'd buy it from him.

You can make a copy of a violin like an Amati but it's almost impossible to duplicate the sound when played. ... :cool:
I have played original Amati, Guaneri, and Stradivarius violins that were made in the 17th century. While they have excellent sound and power, they are no different than violins which are brand new or less than 80 years old, and sell for $2,000 or so.

The value comes from the age, originality, and sentimental value, not so much the sound.
An experiment was held a few years ago in which violins were given to 9 violinists, who were blindfolded. Each played a violin of very good quality - a new violin, a 75 year old violin, and a 280 year old violin. They all sounded alike. No one could tell the difference.

I have played original Amati, Guaneri, and Stradivarius violins that were made in the 17th century. While they have excellent sound and power, they are no different than violins which are brand new or less than 80 years old, and sell for $2,000 or so.
I buy, sell, and collect vintage violins.
I'll give you double your $2,000 for every violin of Amati, Guaneri, and Stradivarius quality, you can provide me at that price. .... :cool:

An experiment was held a few years ago in which violins were given to 9 violinists, who were blindfolded. Each played a violin of very good quality - a new violin, a 75 year old violin, and a 280 year old violin. They all sounded alike. No one could tell the difference.
The so called "new" violins in the competition were hand made American violins by master luthier's that cost tens of thousands of dollars to purchase.
There were no $2,000 violins in the competition. At that price point basically all you can buy is imported Chinese factory made violins. ... :cool:

I buy, sell, and collect vintage violins.
I'll give you double your $2,000 for every violin of Amati, Guaneri, and Stradivarius quality, you can provide me at that price. .... :cool:
Sure, because you can resell them at a much higher price to collectors and score a big profit. That doesn't mean the sound is any different than a modern high priced violin of excellent quality.

Last edited:
The so called "new" violins in the competition were hand made American violins by master luthier's that cost tens of thousands of dollars to purchase.
There were no $2,000 violins in the competition. At that price point basically all you can buy is imported Chinese factory made violins. ... :cool:
"tens of thousands" is a far cry from $700,000.00, and since you seem to know about the what I mentioned (even adding information), maybe you would like to post a link ? And it wasn't a "competition". it was an experiment. Maybe we're not talking about the same thing.

What is your point about violins being made >>
1. in China
2. factory made

Note also that wages in China are still waaaay below US standards (about 1/12) so something from China selling at $2000, could well cost $24,000 made outside China, in the West.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back