Ranking all the Star Wars films

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
starwarsstarwars.jpg

Star Wars IV – A new hope comes in at #1. It was not the top grosser at only $786 million (and counting)

All of this, of course, comes up with the Dec 20 release of The Rise of Skywalker. Here’s a surprise clip from it:

Stormtroopers with jetpacks?

The rankings come from Every 'Star Wars' Movie, Ranked and Every 'Star Wars' Movie, Ranked

To say that I’m a fan of Star Wars is an understatement. When Return of the Jedi came out in 1983, I actually broke a long-time personal taboo to stand in line to watch it in a movie theater. I’ve watched it so many times since that I can’t count.

So, here are some personal comments.

I really thought this would be the blockbuster of all scifi movies.

The special effects awed me. The first 5 or 6 times. After that, they got boring.

Even Sir Alec was wooden and emotionless. Or, what emotions did get shown weren’t that convincing.

I’ve watched every single film that’s come out since. I never saw an improvement in the acting of Mark Hamill or Carie Fisher. Some of the others did get better.

Will I watch them again?

You bet.

Will I watch this next one?

When it comes to Pay-for-view.

Read the reviews and decide for yourselves.

1. 'Star Wars'
2. 'Empire'
3 'Return'

everything else isn't worth rating.

I just watched
Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (2017)on PayperView.

I was amazed at how they were able to get so much Carrie Fisher in the film. She wasn't looking that good and you could tell something was wrong.

As always, the special effects were believable and done so it takes three or four viewings to take in everything that was there.

Story line was interesting. Hamil did a much better job of portraying Luke.

Maybe I haven't been to the right places, but I don't know where Snoke came from and how he took over from the Emperor.

In general, it was interesting and I will probably watch it a couple of more times just to see what little things I missed.

I loved the sex scenes between Rey and Kylo in Episode XIII. Because, in the Star Wars universe, that's as close as anyone gets to having sex.

Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope
Rogue One
Return of the Jedi

tier drop

Solo
The Force Awakens

tier drop

Revenge of the Sith
Attack of the Clones

tier drop

The Phantom Menace

massive tier drop

The Last Jedi

I just watched
Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (2017)on PayperView.

I was amazed at how they were able to get so much Carrie Fisher in the film. She wasn't looking that good and you could tell something was wrong.

As always, the special effects were believable and done so it takes three or four viewings to take in everything that was there.

Story line was interesting. Hamil did a much better job of portraying Luke.

Maybe I haven't been to the right places, but I don't know where Snoke came from and how he took over from the Emperor.

In general, it was interesting and I will probably watch it a couple of more times just to see what little things I missed.

Actually, the movie was awful... truly awful.

Let me count the ways.

First, Luke wanting to kill Kylo and then just giving up. This is NOT the character from the original trilogy, who still saw good in Darth Vader.

The whole "Admiral Hodo" subplot, where she had this brilliant plan to essentially get them all killed and lose all their ships.

Snoke- we hardly knew ye... No, seriously, his character makes little sense and has no purpose. No backstory, no reason how he was able to rebuild the empire or why anyone thought that was a good idea. He's a low-rent Palpatine, who isn't nearly as interesting. No wonder they are bringing Palpy back next movie. Show you how it's done, CGI-boy!

Rose Tico- Her character was stupid and unnecessary. Particularly the part at the end where she stops Finn from destroying the McGuffin weapon so she can kiss him. Ugh.

The "bombers"... I can't tell you how much this scene was stupid. You're in fucking space, bombs won't "Drop".

The whole "chase" scene. Okay, the First order has jump engines. Have half your fleet jump ahead about a light week- Crush the Resistance Fleet in a pincer movement. Done!

Rose and Finn's excellent adventure on the gambling planet where they forget why they are there halfway through.

I'm not having a lot of hope for the next movie. Carrie Fisher is dead, I guess someone found Billy Dee William's phone number, but he's fat now. Luke is a ghost.

I don't understand why The Last Jedi is so hated. I mean, it wasn't all that good...but it was still way better than the prequels, which were all utter garbage. Jar-jar was bad enough by itself, but the acting in the prequels was so bad it was painful.

I don't understand why The Last Jedi is so hated. I mean, it wasn't all that good...but it was still way better than the prequels, which were all utter garbage. Jar-jar was bad enough by itself, but the acting in the prequels was so bad it was painful.

Actually, I would argue it is worse than the prequels. The prequels didn't wreck any existing characters.

Okay, maybe Darth Vader saying "Nooooooooooooooo!!!!" was a little silly.

I will say the stories had an arc for several of the characters. This makes it as good as the OT.

The Force Awakens required them to undo all that had been achieved in the OT. Luke gives up, Han and Leia break up. The Empire becomes the First Order,

But the Last Jedi... took what few plot threads the Force Awakens put out there... and wrecked them

Rey's Parents. Meh, they were nobodies.
Snoke? Meh, kill him off in a stupid way that gave Boba Fett's demise a new dignity.

Jar Jar really damaged the entire first film. If not for that, and the awful pod-racing bit, where the toddler builds and races his own podracer.... as if....

Beyond that, I was irritated that the Jedi were apparently unable to connect the obvious dots......

Assassin kills the assassin, flies to clone planet, where clones of himself are being made. Clones were under the direct control of the Palpatine. Palpatine had the money to afford the close. Had the authority to change the information database deleting the existence of the cloning planet. And then Dooku, even says there's someone in the government that is part of the Sith.

They Jedi knew all this. It was very obvious. How were they all so stupid as not get it?

So that spoiled Episodes 2 and 3 for me a bit.... just because it was all so obvious.

I disagree. I still watch the prequels and even enjoy parts.

the last Jedi is just an unwatchable mess. Starting with Luke and the blue tittie milk.

I disagree. I still watch the prequels and even enjoy parts.

the last Jedi is just an unwatchable mess. Starting with Luke and the blue tittie milk.

That scene with the milk WAS ridiculous. It was short, though. Jar-Jar lasted through multiple movies!

Hayden Christensen gave possibly the worst performance I've ever seen in a big budget movie. Natalie Portman wasn't all that much better. Even the kid that played young Anakin was terrible...although, to be fair, a lot of that might be due to the craptacular writing. :p

Offhand I can't think of a single redeeming feature of the prequels, actually. A lot of mediocrity, an unfortunate amount of badness, and a few truly horrible bits make up those movies. ;)

The Last Jedi, on the other hand, was just meh. :dunno: Maybe I should watch it again? I only saw it the once.

I think they threw in the blue milk scene to explain how he'd lived on that desolate island for so many years/

The only Star Wars films worth a damn, in order of worth:

The Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars
Return of the Jedi

Add Rogue One to the list. It's fine and butts up well against Star Wars.

Solo was not a terrible film, but the guy playing Solo did not channel Ford at all. Pffft.

The prequels were goofy, the sequels flat.

Final word on Rise of Skywalker - If you poke around a little, you can see most of the film on youtube.

Yuk.

My revised list

1- Empire
2- New Hope
3- Jedi
4- Sith
5 - Clones
6- Solo
7- Force Awakens
8- Rogue One
9- Rise of Skywalker
10 - Phantom Menace (Would be higher if no Jar-Jar)
11- Last Jedi

I moved Rogue One down because I realized it was kind of stupid and derivative.

Forum List

Back