Random Walk analysis of NOAA global temperature - All warming is Natural Variation

Haha...what a bunch of pseudo-scientific nonsense in this thread. Sorry boys, your new pet mathematician in the OP is a few decades late to the party. The idea of "global temps as a random walk" was debunked and discarded long ago.

I don't think you understand the concept of pareidolia, and how it has been used to promote the Grand Cause of global warming.

The OP is not saying that it is not happening, but simply pointing out the statistical insufficiency of determining the cause, or even its existence.

Climate science seems quite happy to allow extreme conclusions to be drawn from flimsy evidence. They should be scientists not advocates.

Random Walk analysis of NOAA global temperature - All warming is Natural Variation.

Now this is one new paper that is going to send the left wing CAGW nutters into a tail spin. When all warming and cooling is place in a random walk analysis it all falls within the 1 sigma bounds of Natural Variation.

No hint of mans influence is seen.... This is a stunning paper..

Analysis says NOAA global temperature data ‘doesn’t constitute a “smoking gun” for global warming’
It's not a "stunning paper". It's a Facebook post. Let his mathematical analysis -- which is contradicted by already published papers using, ostensibly, the same method -- be subjected to peer review and analysis before declaring victory. You guys really need to learn this lesson.
Actually the essay is written in paper form, but his analysis is dead on.. Again the facts call you idiots out as charlatans...
You cannot call his analysis 'dead on", because you know less than nothing about this topic, or about the mathematical methods he used. What a joke. As if you have any understanding whatsoever about any of it.

But that's okay, because blog-educated fools will not be the ones peer-reviewing his work or analyzing it. Actually, let's be honest: nobody is ever going to do that, because this guy is never, not ever, going to try to publish this paper. he wants to maintain his credibility in his actual fields of focus. That is why he chose Faceboook as his outlet, and not a scientific journal, or a university publication.
You don't have a damn clue as to what I do or do not know.

Its funny that Blogs are now the key way scientists share their writings and get constructive argument. Peer review as you think it should be done is dead, because PAL review is nothing more than political bull shit.
I've read your posts. You have not a clue what this person's methods are, much less if this is valid treatment of the data. You have no expertise or education in this field, and you spend your time googling for agreeable headlines to articles you generally do not even read and definitely do not understand. No, you are not presenting any real challenge to acvepted theories. Neither is the blogger in question. Actual challenges to accepted theories involve mountains of published research and evidence. These things do not exist, nor will you be generating any.
The "appeal to your authorities" and acceptance of PAL REVIEW as an acceptable practice tells me you are not a scientist..

It is you who is a clueless dupe... I challenged your narrative with empirical evidence and facts.. Your response is appeals to idiots and no facts..

The "appeal to your authorities" and acceptance of PAL REVIEW as an acceptable practice tells me you are not a scientist..

It is you who is a clueless dupe... I challenged your narrative with empirical evidence and facts.. Your response is appeals to idiots and no facts..

It's getting to easy isn't it? They don't even try to put up their fake data any more...Even the most basic real data shows them to be wrong every time these days...there is literally a deluge of studies based on actual observation and data coming out that challenge the consensus view...

Random Walk analysis of NOAA global temperature - All warming is Natural Variation.

Now this is one new essay that is going to send the left wing CAGW nutters into a tail spin. When all warming and cooling is place in a random walk analysis it all falls within the 1 sigma bounds of Natural Variation.

No hint of mans influence is seen.... This is a stunning essay..

What my study does address is to ask, even given the NOAA’s own year-over-year numbers: Do those numbers actually represent an upward trend at all? To this end, I test the NOAA’s temperature records against a Random Walk Hypothesis, a principle used in technical analysis of stocks to determine whether or not a trend (either upwards or downwards) exists.

Analysis says NOAA global temperature data ‘doesn’t constitute a “smoking gun” for global warming’

It's interesting. But it's always possible for any record that APPEARS random to be an actual process with forcings and system response functions. OR a combination of an actual process WITH large amounts of "noise" present.

In fact, spent my life separating REAL images and signals from "random processes" .. And most of time when you first start -- it adheres to a description of a totally random process at first inspection..

Is this a random process or a rough sand beach?

tan-sand-nature-texture-2.jpg

Now this is one new essay that is going to send the left wing CAGW nutters into a tail spin. When all warming and cooling is place in a random walk analysis it all falls within the 1 sigma bounds of Natural Variation.

What my study does address is to ask, even given the NOAA’s own year-over-year numbers: Do those numbers actually represent an upward trend at all? To this end, I test the NOAA’s temperature records against a Random Walk Hypothesis, a principle used in technical analysis of stocks to determine whether or not a trend (either upwards or downwards) exists.

It's interesting. But it's always possible for any record that APPEARS random to be an actual process with forcings and system response functions. OR a combination of an actual process WITH large amounts of "noise" present.

In fact, spent my life separating REAL images and signals from "random processes" .. And most of time when you first start -- it adheres to a description of a totally random process at first inspection..

Oh, then you will have no problem identifying for us all where he assumed there was no trend within his proof, when that was what he was ostensibly proving.

Oh, then you will have no problem identifying for us all where he assumed there was no trend within his proof, when that was what he was ostensibly proving.

It's simple. His error is comparing random walk to a data set with only 150 samples and using fixed perturbation. That's roughly the # of years since 1880. EVEN IF it's done on monthly/daily basis and the perturbation reduced accordingly, all he's showing is how a true random process MIGHT behave over that short period.

The best conclusion is that there is a PROBABILITY that it's random. And it's NOT random, because we know there are actual periodic natural processes included. And because there are many of them and ADDITIVE -- they can "modulate" a mean value for LONG periods of time.

Even the warmers agreed however, that a GW signature was not LARGE ENOUGH to emerge from the "noise" until the anomaly was in the 0.5 or 1degC range. (or about the 1990s)

So we are just ABOVE the "noise level" in terms of statistical confidence in CITING a trend. That's also important to recognize. 150 yrs just might be not be long enough.

It's simple. His error is comparing random walk to a data set with only 150 samples and using fixed perturbation. That's roughly the # of years since 1880. EVEN IF it's done on monthly/daily basis and the perturbation reduced accordingly, all he's showing is how a true random process MIGHT behave over that short period.

The best conclusion is that there is a PROBABILITY that it's random. And it's NOT random, because we know there are actual periodic natural processes included. And because there are many of them and ADDITIVE -- they can "modulate" a mean value for LONG periods of time.

Even the warmers agreed however, that a GW signature was not LARGE ENOUGH to emerge from the "noise" until the anomaly was in the 0.5 or 1degC range. (or about the 1990s)

So we are just ABOVE the "noise level" in terms of statistical confidence in CITING a trend. That's also important to recognize. 150 yrs just might be not be long enough.
"The best conclusion is that there is a PROBABILITY that it's random. "

That's not a conclusion, it's a first premise, as I understand it. Which is why scientists worked very hard to whittle away that probability through empirical evidence. And they have done so.

"Being just above the noise level" is an interesting way of putting it. another would be that we have ruled out that it is just part of the noise, and is now a clear signal.

That's not a conclusion, it's a first premise, as I understand it. Which is why scientists worked very hard to whittle away that probability through empirical evidence. And they have done so.

"Being just above the noise level" is an interesting way of putting it. another would be that we have ruled out that it is just part of the noise, and is now a clear signal.

Doesn't go from "nothing" to "a clear signal". It's just more probable that move of the mean is STATISTICALLY SIGNIFICANT compared to the observed variance. Then again -- you've only got any realistic data about the mean and variation for 150 years. So -- there may be a trend local to the observation period that fails again if more ancient and future data was included..

I'm not arguing there is no trend.. I'm just telling you it's NOT as "clear a signal" as you claim. At any rate, the projections made on theory are now a FRACTION of the awfully scary ones made in the 1980s.

Nobody really expects to see clear signals of climate variations over a 150 year period. Most of the thermal system time constants (responses to forcings) are almost as long or LONGER than that.

Doesn't go from "nothing" to "a clear signal". It's just more probable that move of the mean is STATISTICALLY SIGNIFICANT compared to the observed variance. Then again -- you've only got any realistic data about the mean and variation for 150 years. So -- there may be a trend local to the observation period that fails again if more ancient and future data was included..

I'm not arguing there is no trend.. I'm just telling you it's NOT as "clear a signal" as you claim. At any rate, the projections made on theory are now a FRACTION of the awfully scary ones made in the 1980s.
" It's just more probable that move of the mean is STATISTICALLY SIGNIFICANT compared to the observed variance."

Confidence levels may be arbitrarily chosen, but they have meaning. And yes, the signal is pretty clear. Scientists have done a very nice job of correlating it directly to our addition of carbon to the carbon cycle and of ruling out other possible causes. Not to mention, it is supported by mountains of other, mutually supportive evidence. Now, don't get me wrong, I am not saying that we shouldn't express skepticism. but skepticism involves a continuation of gathering evidence, not expressing doubt for the sake of doubt.

pretty clear

Yeah, that's the ticket. You stick with "pretty clear"... :banana:
Thanks, i will. When scientists say, "pretty clear", that usually means they have a lot of confidence. I like the language they use. maybe you could point me to some of your published, scientific work, or maybe some of your university seminars, so that i may see what kind of language you use?

The Author simply played around with the number of lags allowed, until he got a result he liked. He excluded reality, and if you do that, you can “prove” whatever you want.

There’s an ever-growing number of “throw some complicated-looking math at the wall and see what sticks” attempts to refute global warming. It seems that a disproportionate fraction of them come from economists. Perhaps that’s because they fear the loss of corporate profit more than they fear danger to the health and welfare of humanity. Or perhaps it’s just a reflection of the rather poor track record of economists in general. When it comes to predicting the future, it’s well to compare the truly astounding successes of, say, physics, to, say, economics.

When you look at the gold standard temperature reconstructions derived from ice cores at both the arctic and antarctic, the claim that any human signature whatsoever can be detected in the climate to day is simply ludicrous. We are so far away from anything happening in our climate at present that even approaches the limits of natural variability that the very idea of claiming that it is possible to tease out a human fingerprint is laughable.

Before we can even begin to claim that we can detect a human fingerprint, we must first have a comprehensive understanding of the natural drivers of the climate...how they effect the climate and how they effect each other. At present, we have barely scratched the surface in that area of understanding...if you were to make a comparison, at present our understanding of the climate and what drives it wouldn't even put us to the level of understanding that medicine had when they thought bleeding people was state of the art.

Screen_shot_2012-10-06_at_11.14.04_AM.png
Vostok_to_10Kybp.gif

When you look at the gold standard temperature reconstructions derived from ice cores at both the arctic and antarctic, the claim that any human signature whatsoever can be detected in the climate to day is simply ludicrous. We are so far away from anything happening in our climate at present that even approaches the limits of natural variability that the very idea of claiming that it is possible to tease out a human fingerprint is laughable.

Before we can even begin to claim that we can detect a human fingerprint, we must first have a comprehensive understanding of the natural drivers of the climate...how they effect the climate and how they effect each other. At present, we have barely scratched the surface in that area of understanding...if you were to make a comparison, at present our understanding of the climate and what drives it wouldn't even put us to the level of understanding that medicine had when they thought bleeding people was state of the art.

Vostok_to_10Kybp.gif
Five different analysis show us that mans impact is not discernible from natural variation or the systemic noise of a chaotic system. Compelling evidence, to say the least, that our crop of alarmist modelers do not understand the system they think they are modeling. The divergence from reality shows how little they know...

Last edited:
Just pure bullshit, another asshole showing us that is what he truly is. So, let us observe nature. Are most of the alpine glaciers in the world receding? Why yes, they are. Is the ocean warming, Yes, it is. Do we have clear evidence of the atmosphere warming. Yes, we do. Both from ground observations and from satellite data. Are we getting more energy from the sun now than we were? No, on the contrary, we are getting less. Is the sea ice in the Arctic Ocean melting more each decade now? Yes, it surely is. Are we seeing the intensification of ocean storms as a result of the added energy? That we are. l

But then we have these people that play with numbers, note I said play, because they are not working with them, and try to tell us that they discovered all of this is natural, although all the natural forcing are, at present, going in the opposite direction of what the weather and climate is. Virtually the same as the idiots that quote the numbers that the say that prove abiogenesis could not happen, ignoring the fact that we are here.

Vostok_to_10Kybp.gif
Five different analysis show us that mans impact is not discernible from natural variation or the systemic noise of a chaotic system. Compelling evidence, to say the least, that our crop of alarmist modelers do not understand the system they think they are modeling. The divergence from reality shows how little they know...
Really? Ok, you lying little asshole, give us a link to all five. LOL

Dang.......one thing Ive noticed.

Ive been coming in here for about 9 years now and I see the same EXACT shit posted up by the same people year, after year ,after year, after year...................

And whats changed outside the realm of the hobby-like discussion on these message boards??
Whats changed in the real world??

The answer is..............:boobies:.absolutely nothing..:boobies:......if you look at it as a football field, they haven't moved the ball even a yard. People care far less now than they did 10 years ago. Bring up "climate change" in congress and representatives can run out of the chambers fast enough.

Obviously............all over the world, governments have accepted the view of "natural variation". Just look at their energy policies. ( ps.......message to the alarmist k00ks...........THATS the real world s0ns!!:biggrin:)

Vostok_to_10Kybp.gif
Really? Ok, you lying little asshole, give us a link to all five. LOL

I guess you failed to read the article which described them.. AGAIN... Now who's the lying little asshole? Standard Old Fraud tactics...

Forum List

Back