Rand Paul to vote to block emergency declaration, forcing Trump veto

'Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) disclosed on Saturday that he will vote in support of a resolution this month to block President Trump's emergency declaration, reports the Bowling Green Daily News.

"I can’t vote to give the president the power to spend money that hasn’t been appropriated by Congress. We may want more money for border security, but Congress didn’t authorize it. If we take away those checks and balances, it’s a dangerous thing."

Why it matters: Paul's vote, along with the votes of Republican Sens. Susan Collins (Maine), Lisa Murkowski (Alaska) and Thom Tillis (N.C.), gives the Senate the majority necessary to block Trump's national emergency. Sen. Lamar Alexander also warned Trump last week that he will face a GOP rebellion if he follows through with the declaration. Trump has already vowed to veto the resolution if it passes, which will be the first veto of his presidency.'

Rand Paul pledges to vote to block emergency declaration, forcing Trump veto

Good for you Rand.

Now both Houses are (apparently) against Trump's, ridiculous 'National Emergency' declaration.

Sure, President Manchild will use his veto. But it's nice to see Congress get a spine for a change.
Glad he still has some sense.
Paul is the libertarian broken clock that is right twice a day – but otherwise is always wrong.

'Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) disclosed on Saturday that he will vote in support of a resolution this month to block President Trump's emergency declaration, reports the Bowling Green Daily News.

"I can’t vote to give the president the power to spend money that hasn’t been appropriated by Congress. We may want more money for border security, but Congress didn’t authorize it. If we take away those checks and balances, it’s a dangerous thing."

Why it matters: Paul's vote, along with the votes of Republican Sens. Susan Collins (Maine), Lisa Murkowski (Alaska) and Thom Tillis (N.C.), gives the Senate the majority necessary to block Trump's national emergency. Sen. Lamar Alexander also warned Trump last week that he will face a GOP rebellion if he follows through with the declaration. Trump has already vowed to veto the resolution if it passes, which will be the first veto of his presidency.'

Rand Paul pledges to vote to block emergency declaration, forcing Trump veto

Good for you Rand.

Now both Houses are (apparently) against Trump's, ridiculous 'National Emergency' declaration.

Sure, President Manchild will use his veto. But it's nice to see Congress get a spine for a change.
Glad he still has some sense.
Paul is the libertarian broken clock that is right twice a day – but otherwise is always wrong.

Sorry...gotta disagree with you.

He is for a balanced budget, drastically reduced military budget, all American troops home immediately, America to stop budding into other countries business (like Venezuela), that the Fed is damaging America by creating FAR too much cheap debt, he is/was bi-partisan, believes STRONGLY in the Constitution and likes small government.

Other then maybe small government - which I assume you are against - please tell me which one(s) of the others you disagree with? I think ALL of those are correct.

BTW - I don't agree with his policies on gun ownership or welfare. Though I agree with him that welfare spending is out-of-control and badly utilized.

Cowards . They should all be voting against this unconstitutional move that literally steals Congressional powers .

Congress is the one that gave him the power.

Congress can’t give unconstitutional power .

They gave the President the right to declare a National Emergency, dumb ass. They didn't give him "unconstitutional power", they gave him
"Constitutional Power," to deal with a National Emergency. PLUS, they never defined what a National Emergency was/is.

He's lying. He does this shit all the time. He'll act all independent and cave to pressure by voting time. If he follows through I'll praise him then.

What’s sad and disturbing to consider is that a libertarian loony tune such as Paul is needed to inch Congress closer to doing the right thing – when every member of Congress should vote to revoke Trump’s bogus ‘emergency’; and vote again to override Trump’s veto.

Forum List

Back