Rancher Gets Arrested For Shooting Alligator That Threatened His Horses & Burros

Although alligators can be dangerous at any time of the year, they are especially dangerous in the months of April and October. Can you imagine not eating anything for 6 months ? That's what alligators do. They hibernate from October to April, without eating anything. When they come out of those alligator holes in April, they are hungry, brother.

When they are about to go into hibernation in the fall, they need to do it on a full stomach, and they are equally dangerous at that time.

Your own link ends with > "Conclusion" - they (alligators) will become very dangerous whenever they outgrow the four feet mark."
I am merely saying you don’t have to be terrified if you come close to an alligator. Of course you should be watchful and careful. In general if you don’t bother them or they are not fed by some fool they are not all that dangerous.

In the months you mention they often prowl neighborhoods. I remember on Sanibel Island a store owner telling me that when she left her house to head for work she found a gator beside her car and had to get into the car using her passenger door. In my neighborhood when I lived in Tampa people would sometimes find a gator in their in-ground pool.

If a gator is in your house, swimming pool or in your city yard don’t grab a gun and start shooting. Just call a trapper.

Of course you should keep your pets away from a gator and be very careful if you have children with you.

***snip***

How do you stop alligators in Florida?​

Facts & Safety Tips

1. Leave alligators alone. Alligators are shy animals that usually avoid human contact.
  2. Pay attention.
  3. Do not feed alligators.
  4. Throw fish scraps into trash cans.
  5. Follow directions on signs.
  6. Swim during daylight hours only.
  7. Stay with children.
  8. Keep an eye on your pets.

Are Alligators In Florida Dangerous? (Important Facts)​

Most alligators you encounter are not interested in you and don’t like your attention. One that approaches you may well have been fed by a human and considers you a source of food. Obviously a gator that approaches you is something to be wary of.

***snip***

Gator Chris is hired by communities throughout Southeast Texas to monitor and handle gators in retention ponds, and elsewhere.

He says there are many ways to avoid trouble with the reptile. Texas state law requires you to stay at least 30 feet away from them.

“If you stay 30 feet away from them and you don’t feed with them and you don’t interact with them, you’re gonna have 0 problems.” he said.
Experts say feeding gators will only make them come to expect food from people and therefore, more willing to approach them. They will then be considered a nuisance gator.

Gators will sometimes hiss at humans, and when you hear that, you should back-up immediately, but slowly. “The hiss is like a warning: 'Get away from me, I’m nervous, I don’t want to be around people in this vicinity,'” says Gator Chris.

The reptiles are quick. They rarely chase people, but can move up to 30 miles per hour the first 30 feet, if they feel cornered.

“Snakes and rats and pests, they would become over-populated if this apex predator wasn’t in the waterway to take care of them,” adds Gator Chris.

***snip***

Despite the state’s bustling alligator population, serious attacks and fatalities are not common in Florida. Between 1948 and 2013, there were 22 fatalities recorded, according to FWC records. During that period, a total of 122 minor bites and 235 major bites were also logged. The last fatal alligator attack on record prior to this year occurred in 2007.

Alligator-related human fatalities might not be common, but encounters with the creatures are. Those encounters add up to so many over the course of any given year that the state has set up its own hotline to accept nuisance alligator calls. That number is 1-866-FWC-GATOR (866-392-4286).

The state received 13,962 calls about nuisance alligators in 2015. A total of 7,513 alligators were removed as a result of those calls.

***snip***

The Florida conservation commission said in November 2021 there were 442 unprovoked alligator bites in Florida from 1948 to 2021, averaging six a year. Of those bites, 26 were fatal, meaning there was one fatal injury nearly every three years in the state.

Nationally, between 1948 and August 2004, 376 injuries and 15 deaths as a result of alligator encounters were reported in the U.S., which means one reported death every three to four years, according to a 2004 study in the peer-revieWilderness & Environmental Medicine journal. However, the study at the time cited the need for a "uniform reporting system among states" to get more complete information on alligator encounters.

The Florida commission says the chances of a Florida resident being seriously injured in an unprovoked alligator attack are in one in 3.1 million. For reference, you have a better chance of getting attacked by a grizzly bear in Yellowstone National Park. Mazzoti said you're more than likely to drown in water than be attacked by an alligator.

What should I do if I'm near an alligator?​

While rare, attacks do happen.

Alligators typically breed and look for new habitats in the spring and summertime, meaning there could be an increase in alligator activity.

The good news for humans: Alligators have a natural fear of humans and usually will retreat when approached, Texas Parks and Wildlife says. Mazzoti added alligators "don't perceive humans as either a threat or as food."

However, alligators may be more inclined to approach humans if fed by one, which is why it's illegal to do so in many states. Alligators only attack when threatened or cornered, but if a human is in water with alligators, it may entice them.

"Splashing in the water will attract an alligators interest, and if it perceives at that point in time that there's something smaller and weaker in the water, it might attack it," Mazzoti said. "Anytime you show up next to water, you're assuming some risk... Don't tempt it.

I am merely saying you don’t have to be terrified if you come close to an alligator. Of course you should be watchful and careful. In general if you don’t bother them or they are not fed by some fool they are not all that dangerous.

In the months you mention they often prowl neighborhoods. I remember on Sanibel Island a store owner telling me that when she left her house to head for work she found a gator beside her car and had to get into the car using her passenger door. In my neighborhood when I lived in Tampa people would sometimes find a gator in their in-ground pool.

If a gator is in your house, swimming pool or in your city yard don’t grab a gun and start shooting. Just call a trapper.

Of course you should keep your pets away from a gator and be very careful if you have children with you.

***snip***

How do you stop alligators in Florida?​

Facts & Safety Tips

1. Leave alligators alone. Alligators are shy animals that usually avoid human contact.
  2. Pay attention.
  3. Do not feed alligators.
  4. Throw fish scraps into trash cans.
  5. Follow directions on signs.
  6. Swim during daylight hours only.
  7. Stay with children.
  8. Keep an eye on your pets.

Are Alligators In Florida Dangerous? (Important Facts)​

I don't need coaching about alligators.

I don't need coaching about alligators.
You seem to view them as much more dangerous than they are. Like most wild creatures you have to be careful around them. I have been close to alligators many times and never had any problems. I stay 30 feet away and am watchful. Never had a gator approach me.

I kept my dog on a leash and watched my daughter to make sure she didn’t bother the gator in any way.

Dogs are FAR more dangerous than alligators.

***snip***

A study by DogsBite.org revealed that an average of 14,025 U.S. citizens are hospitalized annually due to dog bite injuries. By understanding the basics of dog behaviors and warning signs, you may be able to avoid a potential bite or protect a loved one from harm. We took a closer look at recent data on dog attacks in the U.S. to better understand why dog attacks arise and how the risk of serious injury can be reduced.

Florida men make up the overwhelming majority of alligator attack victims in the Sunshine State—and in a third of cases they get bit because they try to feed these prehistoric reptiles.

In a study looking at the trends of American alligator bites in Florida since 1971, scientists have uncovered trends, including the victim demographic, events preceding an attack, and where attacks are more likely to take place.

In total, the team looked at 594 attacks. This included 310 unprovoked, 62 unintentionally provoked (where the person inadvertently obstructed or contacted the animal), and 219 provoked attacks. The latter normally involved alligator removal, transport, hunting, farming or exhibition—although in two cases it was the result of people "aggressively swimming toward larger alligators."

***snip***

In about a third of cases (34.7 percent), people had attempted to feed the alligator before being bitten. Three people were bitten as they tried to rescue pet dogs that were being attacked in water.

Or murder of the BORN. California legislature lunatics passed a bill to legalize the MURDER of babies up to 28 days old. Whether equally nuts Newbum signed it, I haven't found out yet.
Just how freakin' retarded are you?

Is there any idiot propaganda that you don't fall for?

You're hilarilously gullible even by Trump cult standards, and that's saying something. But it does explain your conservatism.
He was arrested because those initiating the arrest are a bunch of anti-gun, fanatic dum dums.
You mean the Republicans who run that county?

Again, you're a special kind of stupid. That means you should stop freelancing stupidity, and just stick with the talking points that your masters give you. You'll embarrass yourself less that way.

He was arrested because those initiating the arrest are a bunch of anti-gun, fanatic dum dums. You think just because an arrest is made, it is proper ? If that were the case, there would be no such thing as a court system. Cops are arrested all the time for shooting and killing suspects, in complete conformance with police academy training.

Police arrest people. That's what they do.

You seem to view them as much more dangerous than they are. Like most wild creatures you have to be careful around them. I have been close to alligators many times and never had any problems. I stay 30 feet away and am watchful. Never had a gator approach me.

I kept my dog on a leash and watched my daughter to make sure she didn’t bother the gator in any way.

***snip***

A study by DogsBite.org revealed that an average of 14,025 U.S. citizens are hospitalized annually due to dog bite injuries. By understanding the basics of dog behaviors and warning signs, you may be able to avoid a potential bite or protect a loved one from harm. We took a closer look at recent data on dog attacks in the U.S. to better understand why dog attacks arise and how the risk of serious injury can be reduced.

Florida men make up the overwhelming majority of alligator attack victims in the Sunshine State—and in a third of cases they get bit because they try to feed these prehistoric reptiles.

In a study looking at the trends of American alligator bites in Florida since 1971, scientists have uncovered trends, including the victim demographic, events preceding an attack, and where attacks are more likely to take place.

In total, the team looked at 594 attacks. This included 310 unprovoked, 62 unintentionally provoked (where the person inadvertently obstructed or contacted the animal), and 219 provoked attacks. The latter normally involved alligator removal, transport, hunting, farming or exhibition—although in two cases it was the result of people "aggressively swimming toward larger alligators."

***snip***

In about a third of cases (34.7 percent), people had attempted to feed the alligator before being bitten. Three people were bitten as they tried to rescue pet dogs that were being attacked in water.
Domestic dogs and alligators, apples and oranges. How many people have been injured or killed by feral dogs?

Domestic dogs and alligators, apples and oranges. How many people have been injured or killed by feral dogs?
Interesting question. I couldn’t find statistics on that sujbject. Such attacks are rare but do happen. (See link below.)

I do remember while I was a young teenager exploring some woods near my home I was surrounded by a pack of four or five feral dogs.

These dogs were aggressive not friendly. Had I been terrified by them they might have attacked but I was armed with a British Army machete that I had bought at an Army Navy store and also had a 6” hunting knife on me. The dogs growled and snapped at me for a while but finally moved on. They avoided getting too close to me.

1665449158413.jpeg

***snip***

***snip***

I thought perhaps, the photos of alligator attack victims missing arms might help you out some, but apparently you are too deep into your own perceptions, for that. No, I'm not going to post photos of corpses.

Last edited:
Just how freakin' retarded are you?

Is there any idiot propaganda that you don't fall for?

You're hilarilously gullible even by Trump cult standards, and that's saying something. But it does explain your conservatism.

You mean the Republicans who run that county?

Again, you're a special kind of stupid. That means you should stop freelancing stupidity, and just stick with the talking points that your masters give you. You'll embarrass yourself less that way.
This is from 4 months ago >>

This is the current horrific situation >>>

No charge for the tutoring.

Florida needs to teach their alligators to stay off of private property.
Maybe just getting rid of all of them might work. Alligators & crocodiles are the last remaining large reptiles of the Mesozoic era (Cretaceous, Jurassic, Triassic) - 65 to 252 million years ago. Anybody wanna bring back T-Rex ?

I thought perhaps, the photos of alligator attack victims missing arms might help you out some, but apparently you are too deep into your own perceptions, for that. No, I'm not going to post photos of corpses.
I am not denying that alligators do attack people but it is rare. Your chances of being bit by a shark in Florida are higher than your chances of getting bit by a gator. Your chances of getting hit by lightning are MUCH higher than your chances of getting bit by either a shark or an alligator In Florida. I don’t know anyone who has been bit by an alligator or a shark but I do know several people who have been hit by lightning.

***snip***

The Florida conservation commission said in November 2021 there were 442 unprovoked alligator bites in Florida from 1948 to 2021, averaging six a year. Of those bites, 26 were fatal, meaning there was one fatal injury nearly every three years in the state.

Nationally, between 1948 and August 2004, 376 injuries and 15 deaths as a result of alligator encounters were reported in the U.S., which means one reported death every three to four years, according to a 2004 study in the peer-revieWilderness & Environmental Medicine journal. However, the study at the time cited the need for a "uniform reporting system among states" to get more complete information on alligator encounters.

***snip***

FWC constantly warns people not to feed alligators: besides being against the law, it’s a major factor in eliminating their natural wariness of humans, and making them more likely to attack a human unprovoked. FWC’s policy is that any alligator that is known to have been fed by humans is to be destroyed.

The good news: being bitten by an alligator is extremely rare. FWC has been keeping records on alligator bites since 1948, and the state averages only seven unprovoked bites each year that are serious enough to require special medical attention. Despite Florida’s substantial population growth in that time, the rate of serious unprovoked alligator bites has been increasing about 3 percent every year, resulting in an additional bite about every 4 to 5 years and a total of nearly 400 unprovoked alligator bites.

All in all, the risk of a Floridian being seriously injured in an unprovoked alligator attack is only about one in 2.4 million.

Shark attacks, while thankfully also rare, are more common than alligator attacks. According to the National Geographic Channel, Florida has had 603 shark attacks since 1959.

National Geographic also reports that most shark attacks in Florida occur in September and between the hours of 2 and 3 pm. New Smyrna Beach is the shark attack capital of the world, according to the International Shark Attack File (ISAF), a worldwide shark attack database at the Florida Museum of Natural History. Volusia (275 attacks), Brevard (130), and Palm Beach (69) are the top three counties historically for shark attacks.

Shark attacks may be more common than alligator attacks, but alligator attacks are about three times more likely to be deadly.

Lightning strikes are far more likely to kill Floridians than either sharks or alligators. According to ISAF, from 1959 to 2010, only 9 of the 603 shark attacks were fatal, whereas lightning killed 459 Floridians during that same period. Similar story with tornadoes: from 1985 to 2010, there were 125 Floridians killed by tornadoes out of 1,602 reported tornadoes, and only 6 out of 484 shark attacks were fatal.

#1: He's white, and

#2: He has a gun and no criminal record, and thus a threat to the Democrats' base of looters and thieves.

#3: this is a pretext to take his guns away and deny him owning any in the future. Soon he and his family will be burglarized and maybe killed, now that half the country knows he's being disarmed. It's all upside for Democrats and 'Progressives'.

You think Sumter County is run by Democrats? :cuckoo:

I am not denying that alligators do attack people but it is rare. Your chances of being bit by a shark in Florida are higher than your chances of getting bit by a gator. Your chances of getting hit by lightning are MUCH higher than your chances of getting bit by either a shark or an alligator In Florida. I don’t know anyone who has been bit by an alligator or a shark but I do know several people who have been hit by lightning.

***snip***

***snip***

FWC constantly warns people not to feed alligators: besides being against the law, it’s a major factor in eliminating their natural wariness of humans, and making them more likely to attack a human unprovoked. FWC’s policy is that any alligator that is known to have been fed by humans is to be destroyed.

The good news: being bitten by an alligator is extremely rare. FWC has been keeping records on alligator bites since 1948, and the state averages only seven unprovoked bites each year that are serious enough to require special medical attention. Despite Florida’s substantial population growth in that time, the rate of serious unprovoked alligator bites has been increasing about 3 percent every year, resulting in an additional bite about every 4 to 5 years and a total of nearly 400 unprovoked alligator bites.

All in all, the risk of a Floridian being seriously injured in an unprovoked alligator attack is only about one in 2.4 million.

Shark attacks, while thankfully also rare, are more common than alligator attacks. According to the National Geographic Channel, Florida has had 603 shark attacks since 1959.

National Geographic also reports that most shark attacks in Florida occur in September and between the hours of 2 and 3 pm. New Smyrna Beach is the shark attack capital of the world, according to the International Shark Attack File (ISAF), a worldwide shark attack database at the Florida Museum of Natural History. Volusia (275 attacks), Brevard (130), and Palm Beach (69) are the top three counties historically for shark attacks.

Shark attacks may be more common than alligator attacks, but alligator attacks are about three times more likely to be deadly.

Lightning strikes are far more likely to kill Floridians than either sharks or alligators. According to ISAF, from 1959 to 2010, only 9 of the 603 shark attacks were fatal, whereas lightning killed 459 Floridians during that same period. Similar story with tornadoes: from 1985 to 2010, there were 125 Floridians killed by tornadoes out of 1,602 reported tornadoes, and only 6 out of 484 shark attacks were fatal.
Actually, alligator attacks have been quite common in 2022. Living in Florida, we hear about them just about every day now.

Actually, alligator attacks have been quite common in 2022. Living in Florida, we hear about them just about every day now.
I live in Florida too, and I don’t hear about alligator attacks everyday. Methinks you be exaggerating a bit.

You sound like you want to promote a new series on TV called Alligator Week that would be like Shark Week.

No charge for the tutoring.
You were bamboozled by deliberately dishonest pro-liar propaganda.

---
Rating: False

Details: Neither the language of the bill, nor the lawmaker’s stated intent, supports the allegation that AB 2223 would decriminalize infanticide.
---

No, I don't expect you to admit it. It's far easier to fool someone than to get them to admit they were fooled.

Forum List

Back