Rancher Gets Arrested For Shooting Alligator That Threatened His Horses & Burros

Then explain why this guy was arrested.

The law says that the guy should have a license and predation permit. I think that is a formality and when the guy goes to court they will throw it out as he has evidence that gator was targeting people and animals on his property.

The law says that the guy should have a license and predation permit. I think that is a formality and when the guy goes to court they will throw it out as he has evidence that gator was targeting people and animals on his property.
It will be interesting to see how the jury rules. Obviously this was an alligator not a Florida crocodile.

Being a protected species, only means you can't hunt them without a permit. It doesn't mean you can't defend yourself and your pets, on your own property.

These prosecutors are sicko idiots.

He probably pissed off some local pols sometime in the past and they're just being petty vermin.

Ok. To be fair here.

1) Was the gator just chillin close to the cows (which outweigh it by a couple of hundred pounds)..or was it trying to take down one of them?
2) The gator rose up and lunged at him???...in a field?? (not in the water??)...

Look. If the dude was poaching gators just cop to it and pay the fine. Instead, he lies...and the thing got away...:auiqs.jpg:
"But after FWC trapped the gator and investigated, the state attorney charged him for possessing the alligator after FWC wrote in its report that he admitted to knowing that he couldn't just shoot it without a license".

the feral thing was on his property and they're dangerous, period. It had also attacked people and animals. Screw 'permits' and arresting the guy, that is pure pettiness and malicious prosecution.

They're a menace, worse than rodents.
Normally gators don’t bother you unless you bother or feed them. You do need to be carefully not to allow your pets too close to one.

If one approaches you it is likely that some fool has been feeding it. It then views humans as a source of food. If you have food for it, it may decide to try you as food.

Poaching doesn't require a license. :auiqs.jpg:

The gaps in this story make me think the guy was poaching..and tried to use the excuse of defending his livestock....which didn't wash with the state.
People who use their land for raising livestock and farming aren't like what your moldy accusation indicates. They work hard for a living, and they deserve protection from predators. Since farming communities don't always have a police within shouting distance, they have to take care of their own. Your exists-in-your-head-only accusations aren't well-received.

People who use their land for raising livestock and farming aren't like what your moldy accusation indicates. They work hard for a living, and they deserve protection from predators. Since farming communities don't always have a police within shouting distance, they have to take care of their own. Your exists-in-your-head-only accusations aren't well-received.
They have similar problems in the northwest with wolves and the same folks crying about the poor wolves while they decimate herds of cattle.

Normally gators don’t bother you unless you bother or feed them. You do need to be carefully not to allow your pets too close to one.

If one approaches you it is likely that some fool has been feeding it. It then views humans as a source of food. If you have food for it, it may decide to try you as food.

In other words, they're a pest, yes. They're good for making shoes and belts, though. We should round them up and feed them climate change shills and 'conservationists' posers.

Obviously he/she/it/mutant is a future fentanyl statistic.

In other words, they're a pest, yes. They're good for making shoes and belts, though. We should round them up and feed them climate change shills and 'conservationists' posers.
I disagree.

Often when I have been in parks in Florida I have been fairly close to alligators. I once ate a picnic lunch with two gators laying on a river bank sunning themselves about 30 feet away.

I had one encounter with an 11 ft. Gator on a trail in a Sanibel Island nature preserve. He was missing one leg which enabled me to get close enough to estimate his size. He got tired of my attention and slowly walked to the water where he swam away quickly.

Gators are so ugly that they have an innate beauty few other creatures possess.

Then explain why this guy was arrested.

He was arrested because those initiating the arrest are a bunch of anti-gun, fanatic dum dums. You think just because an arrest is made, it is proper ? If that were the case, there would be no such thing as a court system. Cops are arrested all the time for shooting and killing suspects, in complete conformance with police academy training.

I disagree.

Often when I have been in parks in Florida I have been fairly close to alligators. I once ate a picnic lunch with two gators laying on a river bank sunning themselves about 30 feet away.

I had one encounter with an 11 ft. Gator on a trail in a Sanibel Island nature preserve. He was missing one leg which enabled me to get close enough to estimate his size. He got tired of my attention and slowly walked to the water where he swam away quickly.

Fine for you. Something on my property with that many teeth and can run up to 40 mph and doesn't wag its tail when it sees me is going to die, period. I don't intend to wait and see what it decides to do.

I disagree.

So your point is that alligators approaching people and pets, are not a threat ? If you think that, you don't know much about alligators.

1665360984206.png

Ask these people about beautiful they are>>

1665361222223.png
1665361245559.png

Although alligators can be dangerous at any time of the year, they are especially dangerous in the months of April and October. Can you imagine not eating anything for 6 months ? That's what alligators do. They hibernate from October to April, without eating anything. When they come out of those alligator holes in April, they are hungry, brother.

When they are about to go into hibernation in the fall, they need to do it on a full stomach, and they are equally dangerous at that time.

Your own link ends with > "Conclusion" - they (alligators) will become very dangerous whenever they outgrow the four feet mark."

Last edited:
Correct. We only need permits for hunting, This guy is a rancher, not a hunter. We don't need permits to exercise self-defense.

Correct. We only need permits for hunting, This guy is a rancher, not a hunter. We don't need permits to exercise self-defense.
We have similar situations here in WA with wolves. They are protected as well, but if the rancher can show a pattern of predation, they can take the problem wolves. The libs holler to high heaven, but the financial hit these ranchers take from these predators can be devastating.

Forum List

Back