[Question] What tv channels and media are available in Palestine/Israel?

teddyearp

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2014
Pinetop, AZ
I hinted about this question in another post of mine.

What tv channels and what is their content is available in say Gaza and the West Bank?

The same goes for Israel.

I have heard of gag orders on some news stories broadcast in Israel, but I am mainly curious as to what is allowed to be seen in the PA controlled areas.

I want real truthful answers as best as you know. And please tell me exact TV channels and perhaps links to their websites.

And that is all. If this thread devolves away from my question, I will report all off topic posts and posters as I am getting sick of all the derailment.

In the above paragraph I am not going to say that I am innocent of participating sometimes in said derailments, but it makes it a real pain in my ass to know what I said where, lol.

TIA.

Here ya go, teddyearp - this is all I could find easily.
Television in Israel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Its not a complete answer, but since I'd like to know more too I'll bump your thread.

If it makes any difference, my experience in Arab countries was that TV wasn't watched much. People would go home for dinner at mid-day, rest for a few hours, and then go back to work late afternoon/evening until maybe 8, and then meet friends or family outside the home. I'll bet in all the years i was there i didn't watch so much as ten cumulative hours of tv.

Last edited:

What tv channels and what is their content is available in say Gaza and the West Bank?

I have heard of gag orders on some news stories broadcast in Israel, but I am mainly curious as to what is allowed to be seen in the PA controlled areas.

I want real truthful answers as best as you know. And please tell me exact TV channels and perhaps links to their websites.

And that is all. If this thread devolves away from my question, I will report all off topic posts and posters as I am getting sick of all the derailment.

In the above paragraph I am not going to say that I am innocent of participating sometimes in said derailments, but it makes it a real pain in my ass to know what I said where, lol.

TIA.

Most of the Astra satellite channels should be available with a big enough dish, so what ever Europe can watch so can Israel/palestine

TIA.

if not through the cabel company, most news or tv channels can be streamed online

If it makes any difference, my experience in Arab countries was that TV wasn't watched much.

Hmmm, so what or where do they get their news?

It used to be newspapers, which were read religiously from cover to cover over the morning 'ahwa, and I mean every single newspaper available. We would go down for coffee with four or five different newspapers and compare them.

Now, I don't know what role the internet has assumed. I would imagine that, just like here, older folks change habits slowly, and newsprint is still the gold standard above a certain age.

In Israel, broadcasts from the Arab countries would be jammed. If you tuned in to radio or TV from outside, all you would get would be unwatchable/unlistenable static.

Today, needless to say few Palestinians have access to cable or satellite TV, and it doesn't sound like much Arabic programming is provided anyway. The state broadcasting has one channel that has Arabic subtitles. There is something called "Tiger Radio" and another broadcasting company called al-Arz that I hope some will provide info on. Here is an example of their broadcasts, which seem to mainly be cultural:

Al-Arz:

(interesting that one of the ways that Palestinians try to put their existence on the map in world consciousness is by aiming for "Guinness Book of World Records" type attainments. This is "worlds longest dabka")

Tiger radio:

Makes it look like life for "Arab-Israelis" is one big dabka. But that may be about all they are allowed to do. These broadcasts may ONLY be available online.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it makes any difference, my experience in Arab countries was that TV wasn't watched much.

It used to be newspapers, which were read religiously from cover to cover over the morning 'ahwa, and I mean every single newspaper available. We would go down for coffee with four or five different newspapers and compare them.

Now, I don't know what role the internet has assumed. I would imagine that, just like here, older folks change habits slowly, and newsprint is still the gold standard above a certain age.

in Israel, broadcast from the Arab countries would be jammed. if you tuned in to radio or TV from outside, all you would get would be unwatchable static.

Aenmity lied------Israel gets arab broadcasts loud and clear -----I have spent lots of
time -----trying to avoid it (notice she uses the subjunctive "would be"----ie
she does not really know but has decided to ASSUME---by using the subjunctive---
when caught in her lie-----she could claim-----'well I just "THOUGHT" ~~~~")

In Israel, broadcasts from the Arab countries would be jammed. If you tuned in to radio or TV from outside, all you would get would be unwatchable/unlistenable static.

Today, needless to say few Palestinians have access to cable or satellite TV, and it doesn't sound like much Arabic programming is provided anyway. The state broadcasting has one channel that has Arabic subtitles. There is something called "Tiger Radio" and another broadcasting company called al-Arz that I hope some will provide info on. Here is an example of their broadcasts, which seem to mainly be cultural:

Al-Arz:

(interesting that one of the ways that Palestinians try to put their existence on the map in world consciousness is by aiming for "Guinness Book of World Records" type attainments. This is "worlds longest dabka")

Tiger radio:

Makes it look like life for "Arab-Israelis" is one big dabka. But that may be about all they are allowed to do. These broadcasts may ONLY be available online.

Well I am going to call you out on that claim that radio signals from outside Israel are jammed. Do you realise that this would mean all signals inside Israel would also be jammed, so rendering even military communications useless. It would take a high power multi frequency transmitter to achieve this and all the arabs need to do is match the frequency of the Israeli military and the Israelis are dead in the sea. I would also be able to hear it as white noise 2,000 miles away in the UK on my H.F. receiver across the whole short wave and VHF bands, just as I can hear the Chinese over the horizon radar ( woodpecker ) at various times of the day and night. Don't try and make claims when you know that there are posters who have a vested interest in the subject and will destroy your claims while making you look STUPID.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the internet now, this is almost a moot question. Getting to the point of answers becomming, "What's a tv?" :)

Ok, but according to the news, most Palestinians would be too poor to afford a computer or internet service.

Which is part of my question, are Israeli or any other outside media broadcasts jammed from reaching Gaza or the West Bank. And I thought I had read that there is an official Palestinian channel . . .

I would imagine there is, teddyearp, hope someone will enlighten us. There used to be a PLO radio station in Beirut.
And when I was there, if you tried to tune in radio stations from Arab countries they were all blocked somehow, yes, true, in 1970s.
I am in touch with some WB folks who obviously do have access to internet. I don't know if this is from their own homes? Obviously universities/colleges and libraries would have access, too.

Last edited:
I would imagine there is, teddyearp, hope someone will enlighten us. There used to be a PLO radio station in Beirut.
And when I was there, if you tried to tune in radio stations from Arab countries they were all blocked somehow, yes, true, in 1970s.
I am in touch with some WB folks who obviously do have access to internet. I don't know if this is from their own homes? Obviously universities/colleges and libraries would have access, too.

But again my question is if the reverse is true or not? Anyone?

But again my question is if the reverse is true or not? Anyone?

without electric or if stations were damaged in the conflict, many stations were nothing but static. People start shooting into the windows you drop the mic and head for cover. many stations only aired for a few hours a day, back then. When they were operating tv and radio stations might not air for more than four hours. It was not 24/7 like today. Your talking about more than 40 yrs ago. Even the US didn't have tv and radio stations running all day.
242a946a37207ba29cf28f80d983baf5.jpg

anyone remember these type of displays on the tv at night?

Today stations can be denied a frequency. Internet can also be blocked internally as in syria, iraq, iran. They did not want western information. Sites can be locked by a word or domain as well.

Here ya go, teddyearp - this is all I could find easily.
Television in Israel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Its not a complete answer, but since I'd like to know more too I'll bump your thread.

If it makes any difference, my experience in Arab countries was that TV wasn't watched much. People would go home for dinner at mid-day, rest for a few hours, and then go back to work late afternoon/evening until maybe 8, and then meet friends or family outside the home. I'll bet in all the years i was there i didn't watch so much as ten cumulative hours of tv.

According to my limited experience that's what every day was.

A war usually shakes things up a bit.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back