Question: What qualifies as an "infringement" of the right to arms?

M14 Shooter

The Light of Truth
Sep 26, 2007
Bridge, USS Enterprise
This question is meant specifically for the anti-gun loons who want to further restrict the right to keep and bear arms for law-abiding citizens.

2nd Amendment:
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

In your book, what sort of gun control violates the 2nd?
That is, what sort of restrictions on the right to arms violate the constitution?

Please be sure to explain your response.

Last edited:
It doesn't say guns. It says arms. While that was far more limited at the time the amendment was written, the meaning of the word hasn't changed. So I would say infringement is allowed when a weapon is inherently dangerous to society. That would have to be interpreted by the courts. However, I would include such things as nuclear, biological, chemical and explosive. I don't think the 2nd gives me the right to store a 500 pound bomb in my garage 100 feet from your child's bedroom.

Beyond that I am not convinced infringement of rifles and handguns of any kind does anything at all.

It doesn't say guns. It says arms
Well, yes... but all classes of firearms are 'arms", thus question as it relates to gun control.

I don't think any kind of gun control, as it is currently in this country, provides protection to the society as a whole and does not justify the infringement. Whether or not it is Constitutional is a question for the courts.

It doesn't say guns. It says arms
Well, yes... but all classes of firearms are 'arms", thus question as it relates to gun control.

I don't think any kind of gun control, as it is currently in this country, provides protection to the society as a whole and does not justify the infringement. Whether or not it is Constitutional is a question for the courts.
Either way, i don't expect I'll get too much response from the anti-gun loons,. :)

It is perhaps counterintuitive to say so but gun control responses to mass killings – whether racially motivated or otherwise – are a deep mistake. The standard form of gun control means writing more criminal laws, creating new crimes, and therefore creating more criminals or more reasons for police to suspect people of crimes. More than that, it means creating yet more pretexts for a militarized police, full of racial and class prejudice, to overpolice. Gun control s racist reality The liberal argument against giving police more power - Salon.com

It is perhaps counterintuitive to say so but gun control responses to mass killings – whether racially motivated or otherwise – are a deep mistake.
Agreed, but I think that you may be giving the gov't too much credit with regards to "pretexts for a militarized police".
From what I've seen, a large number of politicians propose anti-gun legislation simply to appear that they're "tough on crime" or "doing something about the problem", and it's done as a knee-jerk reaction without thinking things through. This same group seems to hold the belief (or think that their constituents believe) that unless they're churning out new laws, they're not doing their jobs.
In retrospect, I guess that the latter is something that most politicians are guilty of as well.
It's all about keeping the gravy train on track by staying in office.

Either way, i don't expect I'll get too much response from the anti-gun loons,. :)
Or if you get any response from them at all, it'll be the standard worn-out talking points that they always bring up:
"Guns BAD! Guns EVIL! Who needs guns? Who needs more than sporting guns?" I wish that they could come up with a new argument, at least once in a while.

I grew up with guns. Owned my first at 12. They were hunting weapons. And used in that manner. They could be used for defense very effectively, if neccessary. However, what we see today are people buying weapons that are designed solely for the purpose of killing other humans. And we see the response to that among the less sane members of our society in the body count.

And that is what you and the NRA are defending, is the body count. Bloody minded fools, all of you.

I grew up with guns. Owned my first at 12. They were hunting weapons. And used in that manner. They could be used for defense very effectively, if neccessary. However, what we see today are people buying weapons that are designed solely for the purpose of killing other humans. And we see the response to that among the less sane members of our society in the body count.
And that is what you and the NRA are defending, is the body count. Bloody minded fools, all of you.
So many words.... complete with inaccuracies and lies.... but no answer to the question.
No surprise.

Next?

It is perhaps counterintuitive to say so but gun control responses to mass killings – whether racially motivated or otherwise – are a deep mistake.
Agreed, but I think that you may be giving the gov't too much credit with regards to "pretexts for a militarized police".
From what I've seen, a large number of politicians propose anti-gun legislation simply to appear that they're "tough on crime" or "doing something about the problem", and it's done as a knee-jerk reaction without thinking things through. This same group seems to hold the belief (or think that their constituents believe) that unless they're churning out new laws, they're not doing their jobs.
In retrospect, I guess that the latter is something that most politicians are guilty of as well.
It's all about keeping the gravy train on track by staying in office.

Don't forget the more obvious answer...they don't like guns and want to take whatever opportunity they get to ban or confiscate as many types as weapons as they can.....

Do you realize that as more people own guns in this country the gun murder rate has gone down...substantially......and as more Americans carry guns for self defense, over 11.1 million people now, the gun murder rate has gone down, not up....

Would you like to re post what you posted now that you know the truth.....since your post is wrong...?

The body count is going down, not up.......

And the purpose of a gun is to save the life of the user....and in most self defense situations it does not need to be fired to achieve that...you know that...right?

Do you realize that as more people own guns in this country the gun murder rate has gone down...substantially......and as more Americans carry guns for self defense, over 11.1 million people now, the gun murder rate has gone down, not up....

Would you like to re post what you posted now that you know the truth.....since your post is wrong...?

And the purpose of a gun is to save the life of the user....and in most self defense situations it does not need to be fired to achieve that...you know that...right?

I think the exposure to news makes people think crime is up when it is really down. It is a very safe country unless you are involved in criminal behavior.

I think the exposure to news makes people think crime is up when it is really down. It is a very safe country unless you are involved in criminal behavior.

Yes...it is.....

Yes...it is.....

Interesting article about how this SSM ruling might have an effect on something else.

SCOTUS Ruling On Same-Sex Marriage Mandates Nationwide Concealed Carry Reciprocity

Below is part of the ruling...

5.JPG

The Court used Section 1 of the Fourteen Amendment to justify their argument, which reads:

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

By using the Constitution in such a manner, the Court argues that the Due Process Clause extends “certain personal choices central to individual dignity and autonomy” accepted in a majority of states across the state lines of a handful of states that still banned the practice.

The vast majority of states are “shall issue” on the matter of issuing concealed carry permits, and enjoy reciprocity with a large number of other states.

My North Carolina concealed carry permit, for example, was recognized yesterday as being valid in 36 states, which just so happened to be the number of states in which gay marriage was legal yesterday. But 14 states did not recognize my concealed carry permit yesterday.

Today they must.

Bearing ArmsSCOTUS Ruling On Same-Sex Marriage Mandates Nationwide Concealed Carry Reciprocity - Bearing Arms

Not seeing any anti-gun nutters posting here......not surprised...

Forum List

Back