Question for Lefties

To you the fact that someone understands that something is legal means a person supports that. There is no discussing things factually, just emotionally.
What does that even mean?

A site can censor whatever it wants. That does mean I support them censoring but I understand they can.
They are discriminating.

So should a restaurant, for example, be allowed to not serve gays or blacks?

The law says they can't, but it is the same thing.

The law says they can't. Do I personally think a place should be able to serve whoever they want? Yes. Do I believe that the public should know so they can completely avoid that business? Yes.

Facebook or any similar site can censor whatever they want. If you are unhappy about that, avoid them.

Wrong.
Restaurants can NOT be allowed to serve only whom they want, and neither can Facebook or anyone adding value to the internet.
Political discrimination is extremely and fundamentally illegal in all ways.
The only problem is there is the FCC is not about to bother doing anything about it.
But it is still totally illegal.

File a lawsuit. Or rant here........whatever.

Conservatives should censor themselves. Normal people don't have a problem stating their views without running afoul of the rules. If you can't be a conservative without violent or racist rhetoric or dangerous lies then that's a problem with your ideology.

Any site censoring racism is also illegal.
The only thing anyone can legally censor is something that might incite actual violence, which then would actually cause violation of the rights of someone else.
No one can legally censor something just because they don't like it or it sound mean or something.

No, it's illegal. Because how do you know a person is definitely gay or black? How would you like having to worry about stupid shit like that all the time? Written material makes for excellent evidence in court. Appearances and mannerisms not so much, dear.

Evidence has nothing to do with it.
If you are open to the public, then any discrimination is illegal, period.
Restaurant or internet provide is the same thing.
Nope. Discrimination against a protected class is prevented. but everyone else is just fucked.

Conservatives should censor themselves. Normal people don't have a problem stating their views without running afoul of the rules. If you can't be a conservative without violent or racist rhetoric or dangerous lies then that's a problem with your ideology.

The only thing anyone can legally censor is something that might incite actual violence, which then would actually cause violation of the rights of someone else.
No one can legally censor something just because they don't like it or it sound mean or something.

And yet they do and can. Maybe you need to start small and start here. See how far you get..

I know you think that is how it should be, and I agree with you to a point, but that's just not what the law says.

God I want two...bouncing off my chin
bruce-jenner-competing-in-the-decathlon-at-he1976-us-olympic-track-ERJDBW.jpg

150716070949-02-caitlyn-jenner-espys-super-169-768x432.jpg

To you the fact that someone understands that something is legal means a person supports that. There is no discussing things factually, just emotionally.

A site can censor whatever it wants. That does mean I support them censoring but I understand they can.
They are discriminating.

The law says they can't. Do I personally think a place should be able to serve whoever they want? Yes. Do I believe that the public should know so they can completely avoid that business? Yes.

Facebook or any similar site can censor whatever they want. If you are unhappy about that, avoid them.

Wrong.
Restaurants can NOT be allowed to serve only whom they want, and neither can Facebook or anyone adding value to the internet.
The only problem is there is the FCC is not about to bother doing anything about it.

I did not say there was anything that can be done about it, because there really is no enforcing body since the FCC is way over worked and is never going to do anything.
I am just stating the generic law, which is that no site or provider on the internet legally can discriminate over anything, unless they they are private instead of open to the public.

The specific example of Trump being kicked off Facebook for example, is likely illegal.
The only excuse Facebook could use would be if Trump was violating the rights of someone else, like with slander, libel, or inciting violence. Otherwise arbitrary censorship is entirely illegal.

They are discriminating.

Wrong.

I did not say there was anything that can be done about it, because there really is no enforcing body since the FCC is way over worked and is never going to do anything.
I am just stating the generic law, which is that no site or provider on the internet legally can discriminate over anything, unless they they are private instead of open to the public.

The specific example of Trump being kicked off Facebook for example, is likely illegal.
The only excuse Facebook could use would be if Trump was violating the rights of someone else, like with slander, libel, or inciting violence. Otherwise arbitrary censorship is entirely illegal.

There are very good arguments that Trump has incited violence.

Any speech that is not in line with the left if considered racist and dangerous. I don’t agree with affirmative action policies. I think they are the epitome of reverse racism. Facebook could sensor me if they wanted for that.

Facebook can sensor who they like, but if so, they cannot be afforded section 230 protection. They want their cake and be able to eat it too.

It is not legal for Facebook to censor who they like.
They can only legally censor based on what could be harmful to the rights of others.
Just because no one is prosecuting Facebook, does not mean its legal.

Any speech that is not in line with the left if considered racist and dangerous. I don’t agree with affirmative action policies. I think they are the epitome of reverse racism. Facebook could sensor me if they wanted for that.

Facebook can sensor who they like, but if so, they cannot be afforded section 230 protection. They want their cake and be able to eat it too.

They can only legally censor based on what could be harmful to the rights of others.

You have no "rights" on Facebook outside of those they grant.

I know you think that is how it should be, and I agree with you to a point, but that's just not what the law says.

Yes it does.
I have been involved in the internet since the 1960s.
I know internet law very well.
It is NOT a private media, but a public one, and anyone using any part of it, like Facebook, has to comply fully with all the fair use doctrines and regulations.
The only reason people like Facebook get away with it is that the FCC is not bothering.
But in law, what they are doing is totally illegal.
No different than not serving Blacks at a lunch counter.

Nonsense.
Facebook owns nothing and maintains nothing.
Facebook is using the internet, so then is required to follow the fair use regulations established for the internet.
You have the same rights of fair use of Facebook as Blacks do at a lunch counter in Alabama.
No one open to the public can legally discriminate.
You have rights everywhere that everyone has to abide by.

When you sign up on Facebook, you are contractually bound to their terms of service. Don't agree to that contract, you aren't allowed to sign up.

So the Left is perfectly OK with corporations censoring conservatives based on their political views on social media. If so, then what is to stop them from hiring and firing employees only based on their political views?

Could a conservative boss, for example, fire all his liberal employees?

Would there be any violation of their "rights"?
Since the right pushed through all those right to work laws, firing for political views isn't a problem. They can fire you for any reason, or for no reason.

Wrong.
They do not have to give a reason for firing, but employers can NOT say the firing is for a political reason.
The only exception is if the person was harming the employer somehow by their political actions.

Nonsense.
Facebook is using the internet, so then is required to follow the fair use regulations established for the internet.
You have the same rights of fair use of Facebook as Blacks do at a lunch counter in Alabama.

If a customer at a counter starts cussing out other customers they can be booted.

When you sign up on Facebook, you are contractually bound to their terms of service. Don't agree to that contract, you aren't allowed to sign up.

Wrong.
When Facebook signed up to connect their hardware to the Internet, it is Facebook that became bound by the FCC terms of service.
Facebook does not get to set terms of service that are not compatible with the FCC terms of service.

Nonsense.

If a customer at a counter starts cussing out other customers they can be booted.

That may be true, but it would not then be arbitrary, but in defense of their business to not be harmed by one customer chasing away others.

If they can censor, they should be held liable for the content on their site. It is that simple.

No they can not legally censor.

And yet they can, just like this site and nearly every single site does. Your opinion means very little here.

Nothing to do with opinion, I am merely stating the law. Arbitrary censorship is totally illegal on the internet.

If they can censor, they should be held liable for the content on their site. It is that simple.

You want to quote the law that says that?

Forum List

Back