Question for Lefties

Conservatives should censor themselves. Normal people don't have a problem stating their views without running afoul of the rules. If you can't be a conservative without violent or racist rhetoric or dangerous lies then that's a problem with your ideology.

Any speech that is not in line with the left if considered racist and dangerous. I don’t agree with affirmative action policies. I think they are the epitome of reverse racism. Facebook could sensor me if they wanted for that.

Facebook can sensor who they like, but if so, they cannot be afforded section 230 protection. They want their cake and be able to eat it too.

It is not legal for Facebook to censor who they like.
They can only legally censor based on what could be harmful to the rights of others.
Just because no one is prosecuting Facebook, does not mean its legal.

You have no "rights" on Facebook outside of those they grant.

Nonsense.
Facebook owns nothing and maintains nothing.
Facebook is using the internet, so then is required to follow the fair use regulations established for the internet.
You have the same rights of fair use of Facebook as Blacks do at a lunch counter in Alabama.
No one open to the public can legally discriminate.
You have rights everywhere that everyone has to abide by.

If a customer at a counter starts cussing out other customers they can be booted.

That may be true, but it would not then be arbitrary, but in defense of their business to not be harmed by one customer chasing away others.

Facebook will argue that deleting lies is not arbitrary either.

And that would be extremely easy to counter as lies from both sides are not deleted. How many lies were posted about Trump on Facebook? My God, where to start.

It's their call, not yours.

Not if they are afforded Section 230 protection.

File a lawsuit.

Courts have held that Section 230 prevents you from being held liable even if you exercise the usual prerogative of publishers to edit the material you publish.

Section 230 Protections

Except that any edits must be done in good faith. Good faith means “ a sincere belief of motive without malice or the desire to defraud others.” That point is extremely debatable as clearly there is a motive and malice towards Trump and Republicans in general.

Conservatives should censor themselves. Normal people don't have a problem stating their views without running afoul of the rules. If you can't be a conservative without violent or racist rhetoric or dangerous lies then that's a problem with your ideology.

Any speech that is not in line with the left if considered racist and dangerous. I don’t agree with affirmative action policies. I think they are the epitome of reverse racism. Facebook could sensor me if they wanted for that.

Facebook can sensor who they like, but if so, they cannot be afforded section 230 protection. They want their cake and be able to eat it too.

They can only legally censor based on what could be harmful to the rights of others.

Nonsense.
Facebook is using the internet, so then is required to follow the fair use regulations established for the internet.
You have the same rights of fair use of Facebook as Blacks do at a lunch counter in Alabama.

If a customer at a counter starts cussing out other customers they can be booted.

That may be true, but it would not then be arbitrary, but in defense of their business to not be harmed by one customer chasing away others.

And that would be extremely easy to counter as lies from both sides are not deleted. How many lies were posted about Trump on Facebook? My God, where to start.

File a lawsuit.

Courts have held that Section 230 prevents you from being held liable even if you exercise the usual prerogative of publishers to edit the material you publish.

Section 230 Protections

Except that any edits must be done in good faith. Good faith means “ a sincere belief of motive without malice or the desire to defraud others.” That point is extremely debatable as clearly there is a motive and malice towards Trump and Republicans in general.

There is no "good faith" clauses. File a lawsuit.

So the Left is perfectly OK with corporations censoring conservatives based on their political views on social media. If so, then what is to stop them from hiring and firing employees only based on their political views?

Could a conservative boss, for example, fire all his liberal employees?

Would there be any violation of their "rights"?
I have no idea what the unidentified "Left" for whom you are the spokesperson is OK or not OK with, but if you could cite any specific examples of free speech being deprived or employment terminated because of political views, we could cross over into reality and address them.

Nonsense.

File a lawsuit.

Section 230 Protections

Maybe you should read Section 230..

2A - any action voluntarily taken in good faith to restrict access to or availability of material that the provider or user considers to be obscene, lewd, lascivious, filthy, excessively violent, harassing, or otherwise objectionable, whether or not such material is constitutionally protected

Nonsense.

File a lawsuit.

Section 230 Protections

2A - any action voluntarily taken in good faith to restrict access to or availability of material that the provider or user considers to be obscene, lewd, lascivious, filthy, excessively violent, harassing, or otherwise objectionable, whether or not such material is constitutionally protected

File a lawsuit.

When you sign up on Facebook, you are contractually bound to their terms of service. Don't agree to that contract, you aren't allowed to sign up.

If they can censor, they should be held liable for the content on their site. It is that simple.

You want to quote the law that says that?

I am saying that Facebook is not the free press if they are going to censor. Just give every business Section 230 protection of some sort if we are going to give it to them. I have a feeling lawyers would be very unhappy.
I'm sure you and many others have your own solutions to every problem. Unfortunately, our laws don't necessarily currently reflect your solutions.

When you sign up on Facebook, you are contractually bound to their terms of service. Don't agree to that contract, you aren't allowed to sign up.

If they can censor, they should be held liable for the content on their site. It is that simple.

FCC regulations are volumes.
I used to have copies, but I don't anymore.
You will just have to take my word for it, that the internet is not exempt from the same protection of rights that all public media have to follow.
Facebook owns no part of the internet, at all, in any way.
They are users just like you and me.
So you've got nothing to back up your claims, right?

Nonsense.

File a lawsuit.

Section 230 Protections

File a lawsuit.

The point is that it is wrong. You don’t seem to care because you like the results. You feel the new GA voting law is likely wrong. Instead of attempting to argue for its merits, I could simply say “file a lawsuit”. See how that works?

I am saying that Facebook is not the free press if they are going to censor. Just give every business Section 230 protection of some sort if we are going to give it to them. I have a feeling lawyers would be very unhappy.
I'm sure you and many others have your own solutions to every problem. Unfortunately, our laws don't necessarily currently reflect your solutions.

Right, and some of our laws don’t reflect your ideas either but that doesn’t stop the left from going nuts about the GA voter law for example.

Nonsense.

File a lawsuit.

Section 230 Protections

File a lawsuit.

The point is that it is wrong. You don’t seem to care because you like the results. You feel the new GA voting law is likely wrong. Instead of attempting to argue for its merits, I could simply say “file a lawsuit”. See how that works?

RIght back to where we started. Understanding something is legal is NOT the same thing as supporting something. I fully understand that the KKK can use the public square to spout their bile. It does not mean I support them doing that.

Nonsense.

File a lawsuit.

Section 230 Protections

File a lawsuit.

RIght back to where we started. Understanding something is legal is NOT the same thing as supporting something. I fully understand that the KKK can use the public square to spout their bile. It does not mean I support them doing that.

So you believe Facebook and Twitter have been acting in “good faith”? That is a requirement per Section 230.

Nonsense.

File a lawsuit.

Section 230 Protections

File a lawsuit.

So you believe Facebook and Twitter have been acting in “good faith”? That is a requirement per Section 230.

A vague worthless statement. I believe it's their playground and can act as they wish. If I do not like it, I go elsewhere.

Just because the KKK is holding a rally in the public square does not mean I have to go and listen.

Nonsense.

File a lawsuit.

Section 230 Protections

File a lawsuit.

A vague worthless statement. I believe it's their playground and can act as they wish. If I do not like it, I go elsewhere.

Just because the KKK is holding a rally in the public square does not mean I have to go and listen.

If they aren’t acting in “good faith”, which they clearly aren’t according to the legal definition, then they are violating Section 230. That is far from a vague and worthless statement.

Nonsense.

File a lawsuit.

Section 230 Protections

File a lawsuit.

If they aren’t acting in “good faith”, which they clearly aren’t according to the legal definition, then they are violating Section 230. That is far from a vague and worthless statement.

How high is high? File a lawsuit. Good luck.

Nonsense.

File a lawsuit.

Section 230 Protections

File a lawsuit.

There will be changes to Section 230 unless the Democrats get full control of the Supreme Court and add activist judges. I don’t have to file a lawsuit. The SC will take care of it because the reading is very clear and these news outlets are clearly in violation.

Like I said, I am perfectly fine with the censoring Republicans all they want, but they shouldn’t have Section 230 protection if they are going to do so since they are clearly in violation. Remove that protection, censor all they want and hire a larger team of attorneys.

Wrong.
When Facebook signed up to connect their hardware to the Internet, it is Facebook that became bound by the FCC terms of service.
Facebook does not get to set terms of service that are not compatible with the FCC terms of service.
Show us, with a link, the FCC agreement and terms of service....

They are under the same terms of service as USMB as a message board I believe?

And bans, happen all the time?

Also a restaurant or store is a public business that sells goods to the public, with a business licence.....which has mandatory requirements.

Facebook and other social media is FREE, it's not selling you goods....they are not under the same rules

Nonsense.

File a lawsuit.

Section 230 Protections

File a lawsuit.

There will be changes to Section 230 unless the Democrats get full control of the Supreme Court and add activist judges. I don’t have to file a lawsuit. The SC will take care of it because the reading is very clear and these news outlets are clearly in violation.

Like I said, I am perfectly fine with the censoring Republicans all they want, but they shouldn’t have Section 230 protection if they are going to do so since they are clearly in violation. Remove that protection, censor all they want and hire a larger team of attorneys.

There will be no changes. Should the city be responsible for the words of the KKK when they spout their nonsense in the public square? Can the city take actions if the KKK starts inciting violence?

Nonsense.

File a lawsuit.

Section 230 Protections

File a lawsuit.

Personally I think everything should fly on Facebook, even the rants and lies, unless the mods see it as harmful, dangerous...

Otherwise people will just end up on a right wing social media board or a left wing board and we, we the people, will never know what the 'other side' is thinking or what lie is being pushed by them...,

we should be brought together so the opposite side in the least, has a chance to debate the issue or lie being spread....

Going to ones own corner, without ever coming to the center of the ring to duke it out.... Is just not good for anybody...or our Country imo.

So the Left is perfectly OK with corporations censoring conservatives based on their political views on social media. If so, then what is to stop them from hiring and firing employees only based on their political views?

Could a conservative boss, for example, fire all his liberal employees?

Would there be any violation of their "rights"?
There’s no federal law against employment discrimination based on politics. Only a handful of states protect this.

Nonsense.

File a lawsuit.

Section 230 Protections

The point of Section 230 protection is to make the publisher void of liability from content put up by those using their site.
However, if the publisher does censor content, then they do become liable for the content.
The court rulings to the contrary were likely unusual cases.
But it still is not relevant to the fact it is still always wrong to discriminate based on political views.
It is only right to censor based on harm.

Forum List

Back