Question For Christian Gun Owners.

sealybobo

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Michigan
Christians say thou shall not kill but ask any christian gun owner if when you shoot should you shoot to kill or maim and they will say shoot to kill. If christians deny this and say they would shoot to maim I want gun folks to explain why this is a bad idea?

Christians say thou shall not kill but ask any christian gun owner if when you shoot should you shoot to kill or maim and they will say shoot to kill. If christians deny this and say they would shoot to maim I want gun folks to explain why this is a bad idea?
The correct translation is "You shall not murder"

Don't allow your ignorance to get in the way. God killed an animal to sew clothing for Adam and Eve. God gave animals as meat for us. Are you claiming we should eat an animal alive? Murder is a sin. God permittedd the taking of lives in several instances in the Bible.

Don't allow your ignorance to get in the way. God killed an animal to sew clothing for Adam and Eve. God gave animals as meat for us. Are you claiming we should eat an animal alive? Murder is a sin. God permittedd the taking of lives in several instances in the Bible.
You didn't answer any of my questions. Why is the general rule to kill an intruder rather than just injure them? Seems odd christians actually choose to murder rather than injure. I get why you should kill the intruder but I'm not a christian.

If you are a christian shouldn't you obey god first? Shoot the guy in the leg. If possible of course.

Some basic marksmanship instruction would help you.

But I get the feeling you're not serious about this question.

So you christians think its better that your bullet kill the person rather than just put the perp down. You'd be disappointed to hear the perp was going to survive. Yes or no?

Did you think I was talking about animals? I was referring to shooting another person.

There's no such thing as "shoot to maim". Other than that you are babbling.
Well if a big guy comes at you with just fists and you have to shoot him I would shoot him once in the right shoulder and hope he stops and only shoot again if I had to and you would choose even prefer you kill the person. So thou shall not kill is not taken very seriously if you claim to be a christian. No?

Well if a big guy comes at you with just fists and you have to shoot him I would shoot him once in the right shoulder and hope he stops and only shoot again if I had to and you would choose even prefer you kill the person. So thou shall not kill is not taken very seriously if you claim to be a christian. No?
And if you miss then what?

As a Christian, I can tell you that the commandment is thou shall not murder.
There is a difference between kill and murder.

And if you miss then what?
If ifs and buts were candy and nuts. Stop side stepping the point. Let's say you didn't miss. You know most humans are not going to keep coming after they are shot. You know its more about being sued than it does you being afraid. If they have a gun yes blow them away but I'm talking about when you catch a home invader empty handed or an attacker who just wants to fight. You guys admit if you felt threatened you would prefer to kill rather than just put the person down. You even say things like dead men tell no tales. Or you justify they might come back to get you back down the road. Or theyll sue you. So christians get to ignore all the commandments.

So you christians think its better that your bullet kill the person rather than just put the perp down. You'd be disappointed to hear the perp was going to survive. Yes or no?

Sigh.

OK, I know you're just being sophomoric for the fun of it. Or you've been drinking. Two threads with the same topic. I'm going for drinking too much to give you the benefit of the doubt. Cheers. Go pour another one and after I finish typing, I'll top off my wine glass and join you. :cheers2:

Shooting a pistol is hard. A pistol barrel is short and the sights are very close together meaning a millimeter of aim off target equals a huge miss distance at even close ranges. I take it you may not know about the fundamentals of marksmanship: Stance, Grip, Sight Picture, Breath Control and Trigger Pull.

Now factor in fear. One common training technique at the pistol range to factor in fear is to have a trainee do a series of jumping jacks prior to taking aim and shooting. The exercise demonstrates that when your heart is pumping and your breathing is hard as it would be when you're in mortal danger, your arms and hands would be shaking and your target sight picture would be blurred. The solution that some here have been trying to tell you is to counter this anxiety induced instability by always aiming for center mass. If you miss a little, you may still wing the attacker. In a state of anxiety, if you shoot for the leg or arm of an attacker, you could easily miss and become a victim.

It has nothing to do with Christianity. It has to do with self preservation. You're drunk. Stop typing.

That covers self defense with a pistol and the professional training responsible pistol shooters have. Now if you're using a high powered rifle with a scope to assassinate someone who is not threatening you, then as a Christian, you'll have some splain'in to do when you meet our Maker. But a Christian wouldn't do something like that.

Last edited:
As a Christian, I can tell you that the commandment is thou shall not murder.
There is a difference between kill and murder.
I have to agree. I'm not faulting them for killing a perp I'm just noticing the irony that the ones who believe a god said thou shall not murder say shoot to kill rather than try to put the guy down but not lethally. If possible of course. I think most would take an extra shot to make sure the guys dead. Know what I mean?

Sigh.

OK, I know you're just being sophomoric for the fun of it. Or you've been drinking. Two threads with the same topic. I'm going for drinking too much to give you the benefit of the doubt. Cheers. Go pour another one and after I finish typing, I'll top off my wine glass and join you. :cheers2:

Shooting a pistol is hard. A pistol barrel is short and the sights are very close together meaning a millimeter of aim off target equals a huge miss distance at even close ranges. I take it you may not know about the fundamentals of marksmanship: Stance, Grip, Sight Picture, Breath Control and Trigger Pull.

Now factor in fear. One common training technique at the pistol range to factor in fear is to have a trainee do a series of jumping jacks prior to taking aim and shooting. The exercise demonstrates that when your heart is pumping and your breathing is hard as it would be when you're in mortal danger, your arms and hands would be shaking and your target sight picture would be blurred. The solution that some here have been trying to tell you is to counter this anxiety induced instability is to always aim for center mass. If you miss a little, you may still wing the attacker. In a state of anxiety, if you shoot for the leg or arm of an attacker, you could easily miss and become a victim.

It has nothing to do with Christianity. It has to do with self preservation. You're drunk. Stop typing.

That covers self defense with a pistol and the professional training responsible pistol shooters have. Now if you're using a high powered rifle with a scope to assassinate someone who is not threatening you, then as a Christian, you'll have some splain'in to do when you meet our Maker. But a Christian wouldn't do something like that.
Can't argue in that situation. Now let's say a guy with a sky mask crawls in your window and turns around and you have your gun on them. Do you say freeze and hold them at gunpoint or do you just shoot?

I'm just noticing the irony that the ones who believe a god said thou shall not murder say shoot to kill rather than try to put the guy down but not lethally. If possible of course. I think most would take an extra shot to make sure the guys dead. Know what I mean?

I'm glad you used the phrase "If possible of course".:thup:

I've used a firearm to defend myself and my family members three times in my life and I've never killed anyone. Believe me, in a situation like that, marksmanship goes right out the window. You're hyperventilating and shaking like a leaf. You don't have the dexterity to put your finger on your nose. Trust me. Been there. Done that. The threat of brandishing the firearm alone defused the three situations. (First with a shotgun and twice with a hand gun).

If you shot an attacker and in court you swore under oath you shot to wound, you'd most likely be convicted of attempted murder and your attacker would sue you for everything you've got. Time after time, when people fire a warning shot or say they shot to wound, the opposing attorney made the case that there wasn't a life threatening situation and the shooting was unwarranted.

But your thread is about making Christians look like hypocrites by misquoting scripture. Our Lord never taught us to be slaughtered like sheep.

Can't argue in that situation. Now let's say a guy with a sky mask crawls in your window and turns around and you have your gun on them. Do you say freeze and hold them at gunpoint or do you just shoot?

Life is precious. If my family is not threatened, of course I'll detain the wayward gentleman for the 15 minutes it takes for the cops to show up, arrest him and haul him away. What else do you think any sane person would do???

Oh, that's right. Gun owners are crazed killers with itchy trigger fingers. I forgot the whack-a-doodle narrative.

But the weird this-or-that response to your scenario does bring a little bit of sanity to this strange thread.

As a man, before the Castle Doctrine, I was expected to escape out a window and flee if my house was broken into. If I was there with my wife, I could use deadly force to defend HER. If my wife was there alone SHE could use deadly force. We're now not expected to flee.

Even with the Castle Doctrine, since our master bedroom is on the first floor, our plan is to still slip out the window and walk to our neighbor's house (while armed) and while talking to the police dispatcher the whole time bringing the cops to take out the trash.

Life is precious. We Christians won't destroy it but we won't be slaughtered by evil.

But we all know that's not what this thread is about.

shoot them until they pose no threat

Forum List

Back