Question: 116,000 humans died in the Sri Lanka tsunami, but the animals knew it was coming and fled to high ground...

Blackrook

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2014

Do animals have a "sense" that humans don't have?

And for those who believe humans evolved from a lower form of animal, why did becoming human cause us to lose that "sense" that all animals seem to have?

We stop listening.

They never stop listening.
Our intelligence appears to interfere with a "sense" that animals have when danger is on its way.

Or it is something else?

When Eve ate the fruit, she became knowledgeable about the difference between good and evil.

Animals do not have this kind of knowledge.

Is knowing about evil, and being capable of doing evil things, drown out our other senses?

And for those who believe humans evolved from a lower form of animal, why did becoming human cause us to lose that "sense" that all animals seem to have?

Yes, they can feel ultra low vibrations that we can't for the most part. I can feel (well, I actually hear them) earthquakes coming of 3.5 magnitude or greater, but most people can't.

We stop listening.

I think in most cases we can never listen to the degree that they do. Kind of like how a dog can smell so much better than we can. No matter how intensely we try, we will never be that good.

Yes, they can feel ultra low vibrations that we can't for the most part. I can feel (well, I actually hear them) earthquakes coming of 3.5 magnitude or greater, but most people can't.
But why?

If humans "evolved" why the hell would we lose the ability to sense danger coming that apparently every other species of animal has?

116,000 humans died because they couldn't sense a tsunami while every other species of animal could sense it and went to safety on higher ground.

What type of evolution causes a species to lose something as valuable as the ability to sense a tsunami coming?

We stop listening.

I think in most cases we can never listen to the degree that they do. Kind of like how a dog can smell so much better than we can. No matter how intensely we try, we will never be that good.

I kind of think there is a state of mind involved...a connection to this earth we have lost.

116,000 humans died because they couldn't sense a tsunami while every other species of animal could sense it and went to safety on higher ground.

What type of evolution causes a species to lose something as valuable as the ability to sense a tsunami coming?
The kind that allows us to pretty much rule over all other species. Make no mistake, our intelligence comes with flaws and certainly drawbacks... But I personally think it's worth it. As a species upgrade of sorts, I'd say it's preferable.

Edit: After all, if any of use that has seen what happened back then... That the water just... Disappears back into the ocean.. We would react a bit quicker next go around, and likely choose even better choices than the other animals that will react in the same way as last time.

It seems like something spiritual the difference between humans and animals. We have mastered nature, but we are no longer in tune with it.

Does science have an explanation?

But why?

If humans "evolved" why the hell would we lose the ability to sense danger coming that apparently every other species of animal has?

Because we are the hunter, and not the hunted. That simple paradigm shift makes all the difference.

We stop listening.

I kind of think there is a state of mind involved...a connection to this earth we have lost.

I agree with you on that. I think it comes down to we modify the world to suit our needs, and critters, can't.

It seems like something spiritual the difference between humans and animals. We have mastered nature, but we are no longer in tune with it.

Does science have an explanation?

Oh, we are a long, long, long way from mastering nature. However, we no longer view the world as a mortal enemy.

That alters how we interact with it.

But why?

Because we are the hunter, and not the hunted. That simple paradigm shift makes all the difference.
Humans, indeed, are apex predators. Even the fiercest lion feels fear when he catches the scent of Man.

Perhaps, as a species, we have grown arrogant in our uncontested dominion of this planet. And then nature, in the form of a tsunami, teaches us a lesson about hubris.

But why?

Humans, indeed, are apex predators. Even the fiercest lion feels fear when he catches the scent of Man.

Perhaps, as a species, we have grown arrogant in our uncontested dominion of this planet. And then nature, in the form of a tsunami, teaches us a lesson about hubris.

Mother Nature could care less. She just goes about her business, and squshes like a bug any human that ignores Her.

Intellect often does intercede to our disadvantage. People often drown, for example, because they 'can't swim', yet humans, as all mammals, can and do swim instinctively. Human infants, when placed in water, automatically close their mouths and move their arms and legs efficiently for moving ahead. What happens to that instinct with age and "education"?

..we need toilet paper and animals don't---explain that..if we are so advanced, why do we need toilet paper?
..there is no evidence of a human spirit
..dogs have emotions--we just have a different, more advanced form---it doesn't mean we are not animals

We stop listening.

Do most animals have a "sense" at birth? Human babies are completely helpless.

We stop listening.

I don’t know, many mammals, whether human or other, tend to be pretty helpless at birth. But tsunamis don’t come out of the blue, they are preceded by earthquakes, subsonic they may hear before we do.

We stop listening.

A sense? No, they have instincts which drive them. Most critters are pretty helpless when they are born. We just got a new German Shepard pup. She's cute as a button, but she would never survive without help.

Forum List

Back