Puppy - Should Old bastards get them?

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I read a bumper sticker a few months ago as follows: A Puppy is non an impulse purchase; it is a fifteen year commitment.

It struck me as pithy and accurate. But if so, maybe someone over 70 years old should decline to get a puppy.

I read a bumper sticker a few months ago as follows: A Puppy is non an impulse purchase; it is a fifteen year commitment.

It struck me as pithy and accurate. But if so, maybe someone over 70 years old should decline to get a puppy.

No! Get a puppy!

She'll make your life much more worth living!

When My final menagerie of pets passes, I will not be getting any more.

Any new pet will likely outlive Me and I get too attached. I can't be certain they will be looked after the way I think they should be when I'm gone.

You're wise.
This Coconut retriever of mine is 8. I'm 68. He will be my last dawg.

Can you make sure family takes care of it when you pass?

Maybe you can foster one from a shelter for a year or two and they can take it back?

If you want a puppy get one. Hell, you may out live a pup still at this point. Just make sure you have arrangements to have puppy go to someone who will give it love and care for it in case you can't.

After my precious girl passed I adopted an older dog. For weeks after I got him I thought he couldn't bark or wag his tail. Then he started coming out of his shell. He liked to run. I let him run in the yard. He just couldn't run far. I got him a stroller. He had the best food. His face when he got his first 2am cheese snack was priceless. We only had a year together before a massive stroke took him. I made it the best year of his life.

That is not an answer you can generalize. If the 70 year old in question would make a great owner and has people to take over if something happens to them then maybe he should. You do realize that puppy could end up with a real p.o.s. right. At any given time you can walk out the door and get hit by a truck no matter your age If the owner in question is prepared for such eventualties this person is better qualified than most people walking around.

I think it depends…how active and healthy are they? Is there a plan if something were to happen? What breed are they looking at?

I've been thinking the same thing. My old dog might have a year left and I'm 67 years old. How fair is it to get another dog that I will possibly abandon when I die?

I've been thinking the same thing. My old dog might have a year left and I'm 67 years old. How fair is it to get another dog that I will possibly abandon when I die?
I’m 62…but I think it really depends. My aunt is 89, she adopted an older rescue. She has a plan in place if she should pass and having her has really helped my aunt during Covid. I have four dogs between 2 and 6. When the youngest passes I’ll probably be 75. Would I adopt a puppy then? I don’t think so…but a middle aged adult or a senior? Why not, as long as I have a plan for them. The thing I’ve found in doing rescue is dogs are actually incredibly adaptable to new homes, more so then we humans. Older dogs often get overlooked in adoption.

Forum List

Back