Punish family and friends who interfere with your right to believe or not believe

Do you have right to pester adult family members about their belief or lack of it

• Yes

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Hunt them down

• Whut?

• Scores of thousands and thousands of emails

• Total voters
Yesterday in Adult Sunday School, a woman told us about her sister and husband who go to church on Wednesday nights because the people they live with work and don't know about it. If they go to church on Sunday, the people who are antiGodists get on them severely.

My family members have been on notice for years to not interfere with us or others in the family on these matters.

Do not interfere with the right of family members to believe or not to believe when they are of age.

If they do, there is no contact, there is no birthday or Christmas or other gifts, there is no vacation, there is nothing in the will. Three, one antiGodist and two religious freeks, are infuriated. Tough.

I know members of the LDS and Catholic churches who have done their wills to leave all to the churches rather than family members who pester them about their faith beliefs.

Excellent.

Different family's have different dynamics. I am not a religious person, but I have 2 sisters who are absolute god freaks. Our family is pretty open and we have a lot of religious, spiritual, political etc discussions. It was that way when I was growing up and we raised our kids that way too. I never really realized that our family was that different until after I was married, and noticed my wife's family didn't have those type of discussions.

Now you said "interfree with the right....", so that is beyond just discussing. I would be agitated if a family member actively tried to keep someone from their faith, but I think you have to look from both perspectives. If someone I cared about was involved in something I considered a harmful cult, then I would feel it was my duty to try an intervene.

No right or wrong answer here IMO. It Depends on circumstances and individuals involved.
The solution is simple - you don't hangout with people you have uncivil relations with, Starkey can't grasp that.
I am talking about family and friends, not other people.
If you want to be with people who you think treat you poorly, that is your problem that is regardless of the topic matter.
You are confused, obvisouly.

But, for the most point, you have tried to engage here without too much bile, so good on you.

I'm confused? Hey everybody is entitled to their opinion, and can believe whatever they want. No matter how strange it may seem to others, even number 88.

1. Polygamy is still doctrinal in heaven and included in LDS scripture. See D&C 132

2. Sports should not be played on Sunday

3. TV or movies should not be viewed on Sunday (except Church or "happy" media)

4. Children should not be allowed to play with friends on Sunday

5. Working on Sunday is strictly discouraged and really only not looked down on if you're an emergency response personnel, or other on-call emergency type jobs (doctors, police, firemen, nurses etc)

6. Rated R movies should be strictly avoided

7. 10% of your gross income (tithing) needs to be paid to the bishop/church before you pay for any other financial obligations, bills, food or other purchases

8. Coffee and tea are prohibited even though they aren't specifically referenced by doctrine

9. For some families, all caffeinated drinks and sodas are prohibited

10. If you have dark skin and convert to Mormonism, your skin will begin to lighten/whiten

11. You become a God/Goddess and are given powers to create your own worlds without number

12. You should not be alone in a room or car with a member of the opposite sex to "avoid even the appearance of evil"

13. Beer is prohibited even though it is scripturally allowed (D&C 89:17) "...and barley for all useful animals, and for mild drinks, as also other grain" Beer was openly consumed in Utah by Mormons until Prohibition made it unpopular and the practice ceased.

14. The Garden of Eden was in Missouri when Adam and Eve were kicked out

15. All saints are to return to Missouri before the final arrival of Jesus for the Second Coming. Some believe this exodus back to Missouri would be on foot.

16. Two LDS Elders or Missionaries will stand and protect the city of Jerusalem during Armageddon, as spoken of in Revelations and D&C 77:15

17. Native Americans are the descendants of the Lamanites spoken of in the Book of Mormon

18. The LDS Temple marriage is considered superior to all other religious marriage ceremonies and must be obtained if you want to be with your spouse in the after life. Not married in the temple? Too bad, no spouse/partner in the after life.

19. Love isn't as strong between couples and families who are not LDS

20. Follow the prophet or leaders even if you think they are wrong

21. Criticism of prophets or leaders will lead you towards apostasy

22. Don't use Ouija boards, face cards or tarot cards. They are of the devil.

23. The US Constitution will hang by a thread and be saved by LDS Elders before the 2nd coming

24. Women were discouraged from wearing pants up until the late '60s or '70s

25. 3 Nephites still rome the Earth from Christ's visit to the America's, blessed by Him to not experience death until his second coming

26. The moon will literally turn to blood during second coming crisis

27. Heavenly Mother/Goddess exists, but she/them are too sacred to discuss and cannot be worshiped or prayed to

28. Only Mormon's can go to the highest degree of heaven, which is why proxy ordinances are done in LDS temples for as many dead people as LDS Inc can get their hands on

29. Kids or babies who die before reaching 8 years old are perfect and automatically get into heaven

30. Missionaries can curse people by dusting their feet off as a witness to them rejecting the gospel

31. Satan has power over the oceans, lakes and rivers which is why LDS Missionaries are not allowed to swim

32. Satan can't read your thoughts so praying silently can help keep some of your secrets from him

33. Dating is strictly prohibited until you're 16 and then only group dating is allowed or encouraged until you can marry after your mission or marry a return missionary

34. Doctrinal polygamy gives the 1st wife authority to reject any prospects she doesn't like. This was never really practiced though.

35. Women who fail to marry in the temple during their life will be assigned a worthy spouse in the hereafter and likely as a sister wife with a harem of women

36. Black people bear the curse of Cain and were born black because they were less valiant in the pre-existence (pre-Earth life) and sat on the fence as to whether to follow Satan/Lucifer or Jesus

37. Cremation will make being resurrected harder, having to recollect all of your atoms/molecules from where ever they were spread

38. God the father is only one of millions or endless Gods who are all basically relatives, fathers, brothers, grand-gods and so forth to our own God. If we're worthy, we get to join the God club too.

39. From the polygamy days, a man had to have at least 2 wives to get into the highest degree of heaven

40. A woman's purpose in heaven is solely to birth endless babies to populate the worlds created by their husbands. Billions and billions of babies!

41. Gestation is still 9 months in heaven

42. You are better off dying trying to fend off a rapist than to survive as a victim of rape, your virginity forever stolen from you

43. Temple garments or underwear will protect you from physical harm or the grasp of Satan

44. Girls can only have one piercing in each ear. No piercings allowed by boys/men.

45. Tattoos are a big no-no and should never be allowed to defile your bodies. If you have tattoos when you convert, you may be encouraged to pay for laser removal at your own expense.

46. Flip-flops are not to be worn in the church building

47. All forms of birth control (condoms, pills, etc) are discouraged and the couple should allow as many children into their home as God decides to send them

48. The Earth was not created by God, but by Jesus and Michael/Adam as taught in the LDS Temple endowment ceremony

49. Secret hand shakes, keywords and signs are provided in the Temple endowment as passwords and keys to get back into heaven, like a kids club where only those with the secret passwords can get in

50. The church partners with Boy Scouts of America for the development of males but does not endorse nor partner with the Girl Scout programs or similar female development programs

51. The Holy Ghost is threatened or turned away by bars, clubs and "dirty" places so will not protect you or guide you if you choose to enter such filthy places

52. Mormon Garments must be worn day and night, only removed for sex, showering and some sporting activities

53. Women must wear their bras and panties over their garments, as the garment should be the layer closest to the skin for maximum protection

54. If you're not a Mormon, or are unworthy without a temple recommend, you get excluded from the Temple wedding ceremony of loved ones, kids, siblings or best friends

55. Mormon's do feel there is something special about them, or that they are better than non-mormons. Having the ultimate "truth" does that to people.

56. Masturbation is a sexual sin/transgression and seen as cheating on your existing or future spouse

57. Sexual transgression is a sin next to murder in God's eyes

58. Jesus atoned for our sins in the Garden of Gethsemane, not on the cross

59. Jesus wasn't born of a virgin. God had natural sex with Mary to impregnate Jesus

60. You can't get into heaven without Joseph Smith's permission

61. You can visit loved ones in lower kingdoms, but you cannot visit higher kingdoms of heaven if you didn't merit it yourself, though they can visit you (see D&C 76)

62. You can tell the difference between a good angel, bad angel or resurrected being by their willingness or ability to shake your hand

63. No rainbows shall appear during the year before Jesus' second coming

64. If you've had a sex change, you cannot ever hold any callings/jobs in the church and only get baptized at the express permission of the First Presidency/prophet

65. Role playing games, like D&D, are also evil

66. Dinosaur fossils are to test our faith, and likely came from matter left over from past destroyed planets that were used/recycled to create Earth

67. When a prophet or leader errors, it was because he was acting as a man and not as a prophet. There's no indication until after the fact as to whether he was acting as one or the other, so you should always presume he's acting as prophet until proven otherwise

68. Free agency and choice is revered, but don't make the wrong choice or we will judge, look down on and guilt you until you either stop making said wrong choices

69. Once the prophet or brethren have spoken, the thinking has been done. Don't question it.

70. When someone leaves the church, it is God's way of separating the wheat (good mormons) from the chaff (bad, evil apostates)

71. Jesus was supposed to come in the year 2000, that is until he didn't

72. God is a resurrected, extra terrestrial, exalted human male who lives on a planet near a star called Kolob. See Book of Abraham, chapter 3 in Pearl of Great Price

73. Even though Jesus had a beard, we aren't allowed to have facial hair while attending the Lord's University, BYU, and are discouraged or flat out not allowed to have facial hair in high up leadership positions, despite early leaders all having beards

74. The LDS Temple questions somewhat encourage the shunning or disassociating with anyone who is anti, apostate, or against the church. This may include family members, close relatives or best friends if they end up leaving the church.

75. The "Inspired" Joseph Smith translation of the bible is more correct than the KJV

76. Joseph Smith's money digging and glass looking were actually God's way of preparing him for his role as a prophet and revelator.

77. Our dead relatives and angel friends can see us when we sin, and so even when alone, it is not safe to masturbate or do anything "bad".

78. The Holy Ghost goes to bed at midnight, so all dates, sleepovers, or other activities by youth or single people need to end by midnight or else you won't have protection or guidance against the temptations of the devil

79. Hoard enough food, water and fuel to survive 3-12 months or more

80. Women must wear modest clothing that extends to the floor while kneeling down (shorts, skirts etc) and that covers the shoulders and upper arms, no revealing of the midrift, no bikini swim suits, no tank tops, no spaghetti straps etc

81. Satan's real name in the Pre-existence is Lucifer, even though that name is only used once in the Old Testament

82. The ancient Jews were the only people who would kill Christ and therefore the most wicked people in the universe

83. So long as the US/America's stay righteous, aka, primarily Christian and God fearing, they will not be attacked by foreign powers or enemies (stems from the tradition laid out in the Book of Mormon that righteousness equals protection from enemies by God etc).

84. The Earth is a living entity that must also go through ordinances, death and exaltation. The Flood of Noah was the Earth's baptism. The fire and burning at the 2nd coming will be the baptism by fire and immediately after, exaltation to a perfect sphere of glass

85. The Earth was once in orbit around Kolob, but was expelled when Adam fell from the Garden of Eden. It will again return to that orbit after the millennium.

86. If you don't make it to the highest degree of the Celestial Kingdom, you will be gender-less in the after life. No sex or sex urges for you in the Terrestrial and Telestial kingdoms.

87. When people leave the church and can't leave it alone (despite being psychologically and emotionally damaged by it), it is called "kicking against the pricks", and is fulfillment of prophesy.

88. There are people living on the moon. LINK They dress much like Quakers and they are tall, many standing seven feet tall or more. One day we will send missionaries to teach them the gospel. There are also people living on the sun. Journal of Discourses, Vol. 13, p. 217

89. Brigham Young (2nd LDS prophet) taught that Adam was the literal God of the Earth and Earth's family

90. If you serve valiantly as a missionary, you'll be blessed with a beautiful and righteous spouse when you return

91. If you hold your right arm to the square and invoke the power of the priesthood, you can cast out devils, divert floods and lava flows, and baptize others

92. Women covenant in the temple to "observe and keep the law of the Lord and hearken unto the counsel of your husband as he hearkens unto the counsel of the Father"

93. All covenant in the temple "to sacrifice all that we possess, even our own lives if necessary, in sustaining and defending the Kingdom of God"

94. We covenant to "avoid all lightmindedness, loud laughter, evil speaking of the Lord's anointed, the taking of the name of God in vain, and every other unholy and impure practice"

95. More, we covenant in temples to "accept the Law of Consecration as contained in theDoctrine and Covenants, in that you do consecrate yourselves, your time, talents, and everything with which the Lord has blessed you, or with which he may bless you, to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, for the building up of the Kingdom of God on the earth and for the establishment of Zion"

96. Garments represent the garment God/Jesus made and gave to Adam when he discovered his nakedness in the Garden of Eden

97. Women are most valued when in the home, rearing children and taking care of domestic affairs (laundry, dishes, house cleaning, etc)

98. In the temple marriage covenant/ceremony, women "give [themselves] to [their husband] to be his lawful and wedded wife" and men "receive her unto [himself] to be [his] lawful and wedded wife for time and all eternity"

99. If a widow remarries a man for time only, and bears him children, those children will belong to her first and sealed husband in the eternities

100. Before a woman can remarry in the temple for eternity, she must first get a temple sealing annulment, which can only come at the approval of the First Presidency, and will likely not be allowed if the first husband is deceased

101. Women were at one point allowed to give blessings by the laying on of hands, but that practice was ended when they were found to be more successful at healing than the priesthood holding men

You are confused. I am not LDS, BuckToothMoron, not any kind of Mormon, and never have been.

I have had two wives, the second after the first died. They were best friends, and I did not know the first "willed" me to the second. They are the most wonderful women I have ever known.

I have never known other women sexually. I never wanted to. I did not "know" either of my wives until the wedding night.

buck, I try to be Christian every day all the way to my the core of my inner being in and I fail every day. That's why we have a Savior. Do you know Him?

Last edited:
This has been moved, rightfully so, to the religion and ethics forum.

Yesterday in Adult Sunday School, a woman told us about her sister and husband who go to church on Wednesday nights because the people they live with work and don't know about it. If they go to church on Sunday, the people who are antiGodists get on them severely.

My family members have been on notice for years to not interfere with us or others in the family on these matters.

Do not interfere with the right of family members to believe or not to believe when they are of age.

If they do, there is no contact, there is no birthday or Christmas or other gifts, there is no vacation, there is nothing in the will. Three, one antiGodist and two religious freeks, are infuriated. Tough.

I know members of the LDS and Catholic churches who have done their wills to leave all to the churches rather than family members who pester them about their faith beliefs.

Excellent.
I grew up in a family of Catholics, atheists, and Protestants. No one needed to be put on notice. Discussions were pleasant, and no one was cut out of any will. It's not that hard to have deeply held beliefs and also get along with others who hold opposing beliefs. That's the magic of love.

This has been moved, rightfully so, to the religion and ethics forum.

Excellent.
I grew up in a family of Catholics, atheists, and Protestants. No one needed to be put on notice. Discussions were pleasant, and no one was cut out of any will. It's not that hard to have deeply held beliefs and also get along with others who hold opposing beliefs. That's the magic of love.
You had a balanced family. Such a blessing from God.

Our problems involved a crazy evangelical sister in law and two nephews who have gone antiGodist.

They don't understand the boundary behind agreeably "I disagree" and "You are all jerks for believing that!"

Right, says the guy who is supporting Hillary, the archetype of an authoritarian statist.

I am supporting Hillary? This is news to me.

What about the post where I wished that she was dead? Or the several times that I have openly called her corrupt?

At family gatherings if something is brought up in conversation, and I am asked about it, I give my opinion. Generally otherwise it's best to leave out religion and politics at Thanksgiving and Christmas. EXCEPT if you are with a group of adults who can carry on a civil discussion about such subjects.

It's all in the group you are with at the time. General rule, best to talk about sports or aunt Jinny's gallbladder, or someone's new car. The older you get the more you lose this great desire to be right.

I require my family and friends when in our home to follow certain rules of language and behavior.

Don't spit on the carpet.

Don't smoke.

Don't use words that malign race or religion or sex, etc.

Have an uncle who has not been around the grandchildren (my children follow the same rules) because he cannot help maligning Jews and blacks.

I require my family and friends when in our home to follow certain rules of language and behavior.

Don't spit on the carpet.

Don't smoke.

Don't use words that malign race or religion or sex, etc.

Have an uncle who has not been around the grandchildren (my children follow the same rules) because he cannot help maligning Jews and blacks.
You have friends? No one believes that. I doubt yur family visits you in the home for the senile.

Why would you think you are punishing your family if you refuse to see them?

I'll bet seeing you was the punishment

:lol: The new medicinal therapy not working for you. Not surprising.

:lol: The new medicinal therapy not working for you. Not surprising.

I haven't spoken to anyone in my family for over a decade but I'm not so full of myself to think I'm punishing them.
You need treatment for your delusions of grandeur

This is a "smoke screen" post so jake can appear to have morals.
I think the guy is bipolar. He preaches his brand of morality to the choir but supports a candidate that's in bed with the fornicators.
prisonmike and tyroneweaver can't debate the facts, so they attack personality.

That is typical of the far and alt rights. :lol:

This is a "smoke screen" post so jake can appear to have morals.
I think the guy is bipolar. He preaches his brand of morality to the choir but supports a candidate that's in bed with the fornicators.
prisonmike and tyroneweaver can't debate the facts, so they attack personality.

That is typical of the far and alt rights. :lol:
The word is personally not personality jake.
And btw you're taking a victim stance.
Poor jakey. Nobody likes me, everybody hates me, think I'll go eat some worms.
Truth hurts don't it jake.

Dear JakeStarkey
1. I think it is a mutual responsibility for the adults in the family to agree on rules for civil interactions and discourse so it doesn't come to blackmail.
2. I would cite Matthew 18:15-20 and add to that for family members to agree on friends or pastors they select to be mediators should a dispute exceed their ability to resolve it
3. If people admit they are nonbelivers and refuse to hear testimony from a believer, the believers are instructed to depart company and leave the nonbelievers in peace. But not vice versa. Believers are not to refuse nonbelievers but to give them the option to part company, and Believers do not reject each other if both are committed to reconciling God's truth by agreement between them in Christ.
4. Lastly I believe the adult Believers owe it to the children to set a better example of how reconciliation is enabled in Christ jesus, by divine forgiveness and acceptance of mutual correction to heal relationships. Conditions such as money or inheritance recall the old days when Catholic priests sold indulgences in exchange for forgiveness of sins. GOD'S GRACE was supposed to be taught as a free gift for the asking not a condition, not to be earned by working off a debt but by asking forgiveness first, where the works follow as a consequence not precede as a condition.

I'd rather the adults here teach even better to the children. If the best you can do is part company, it should be made clear the money is a consequence not a condition of Christian love and relationships. Thanks.

I think you are wrong, emily.

My family and my home, the rules are made by my wife and me.

As they children grow older they give input.

I believe she is right. I believe you pay lip service to God.
Since you are a false Christian, I don't worry about your judgment, ding.

I did not and would not allow a relative to be around her children to use n*gg*r and c*nt in their presence.

I believe she is right. I believe you pay lip service to God.
Since you are a false Christian, I don't worry about your judgment, ding.
But I'm not judging you, amigo. I am judging your behavior. Those aren't the same thing. If I said you were a false Christian, that would have been judging you, brother. Don't you have some babies in the womb you need to advocate killing?

Forum List

Back