Punish family and friends who interfere with your right to believe or not believe

Do you have right to pester adult family members about their belief or lack of it

• Yes

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Hunt them down

• Whut?

• Scores of thousands and thousands of emails

• Total voters
The reason most why I insist on this barrier is that people such as weatherman and onyx would use the state to force their version on God on me and mine or to force God out of society.

Both are damnable philosophies and antiAmerican.
I've no idea what your politics are regarding rights for LGBT community or abortion, but if you expect nonbelievers to live according to your tenets, you are guilty of the same thing. In case that's what you're getting at. That's where I draw the line.
Not to pick a fight. I'm sorry for your friends at church, and I think they should find new housemates ASAP.
How do you get "to live according to your tenets"? I said you must respect my wishes on God or not in our family's private space. That has nothing to do with how you live your life outside of our private space.

Yes, we are going to offer them one of the cottages for six months so they can get their finances in order and buy their own home.

Yesterday in Adult Sunday School, a woman told us about her sister and husband who go to church on Wednesday nights because the people they live with work and don't know about it. If they go to church on Sunday, the people who are antiGodists get on them severely.

My family members have been on notice for years to not interfere with us or others in the family on these matters.

Do not interfere with the right of family members to believe or not to believe when they are of age.

If they do, there is no contact, there is no birthday or Christmas or other gifts, there is no vacation, there is nothing in the will. Three, one antiGodist and two religious freeks, are infuriated. Tough.

I know members of the LDS and Catholic churches who have done their wills to leave all to the churches rather than family members who pester them about their faith beliefs.

Excellent.
The motive for a believer to pester a nonbeliever is clear - they believe their eternal salvation is at stake.
What is the motivation for a nonbeliever to pester a believer? Demonic is my only answer.
Pestering (weak word there, penguin) is not acceptable either way.
So do you let everyone you know do whatever without you interjecting comment? DUI, Heroin use, self mutilation. Any commentary by you if you see a loved one doing those things?

The reason most why I insist on this barrier is that people such as weatherman and onyx would use the state to force their version on God on me and mine or to force God out of society.

Lovely strawman battle you create.
Fact. You would create a Christian dominion in a heart beat if you could do it, while Onyx would go turn our churches into temples of love or wisdom or philosophy.

Yesterday in Adult Sunday School, a woman told us about her sister and husband who go to church on Wednesday nights because the people they live with work and don't know about it. If they go to church on Sunday, the people who are antiGodists get on them severely.

My family members have been on notice for years to not interfere with us or others in the family on these matters.

Do not interfere with the right of family members to believe or not to believe when they are of age.

If they do, there is no contact, there is no birthday or Christmas or other gifts, there is no vacation, there is nothing in the will. Three, one antiGodist and two religious freeks, are infuriated. Tough.

I know members of the LDS and Catholic churches who have done their wills to leave all to the churches rather than family members who pester them about their faith beliefs.

Excellent.
The motive for a believer to pester a nonbeliever is clear - they believe their eternal salvation is at stake.
What is the motivation for a nonbeliever to pester a believer? Demonic is my only answer.
So do you let everyone you know do whatever without you interjecting comment? DUI, Heroin use, self mutilation. Any commentary by you if you see a loved one doing those things?
Are you on opiates? Try this again, please.

Lovely strawman battle you create.
Fact. You would create a Christian dominion in a heart beat if you could do it, while Onyx would go turn our churches into temples of love or wisdom or philosophy.
You're losing your battle with your strawman.

onyx, an anarchist, has no further place in this for me, so he is on permanent hiatus for me here. The rest of you read him to your heart's content if you so wish.

We are discussing here in a public place. I am telling you that what you are doing here you may not do in our family's private space.

Excellent.
Now with the personal attacks. So predictable.

You are very young, aren't you?

You are keen on deflecting via subtle ad hominem fallacies, are you not?

Yes, that's right. It's the only way to live in a society such as ours; no one said it was always pleasant.

I believe in tolerance. Like I said, you are conflating tolerance with appreciation and subservience.

I had forgotten that you don't believe in our society or peace and order as such.

Of course I do.

I believe the way I do because statism is chaotic and disorderly. Nearly every war in human history was waged between states. Government democide killed more people in the 20th century than every war in human history.

Are you getting the picture? Out of the two of us, I am not the savage and uncivilized one.

thats really fucked up so your saying if i don't allow you to believe whatever nonsense you want without criticism, than i cant see my grandchild, or my nephew neices cousins etc.
See, you are justifying your behavior. I said "don't interfere." You don't like it, sux to be you. But, y es, you get it. You can see them when they are adults. Discussion is one thing, but if you keep going when I say "stop", that's on you. ps: we can put your share of the inheritance to the SPCA
you can cut yourself off and become a monk and go live in a monastery in the woods for all i care but your kids are not your private property, What would you do if your kids grew up to have different beliefs than you? and refused to let you near your grandkids until you accepted Lord qeutzacotl into your heart?
My children have every right to grow up and have different beliefs than me.

You don't get to interfere is the point when they are young.

Public school is fair stuff as long as the teachers are teaching and not indoctrinating.

But if your family goes to church or not, and you don't like it, and they tell you to stop and you don't, that's on you, not them.
Theyre not just converted by the godless public school teacher they will be influenced by everyone they meet in their entire lives, I dont know how small of a town you live in but, theyre friends at school will influence them,Movies music the internet, they may even get married to someone and convert before they even hit the magical age of 18.
thats really fucked up so your saying if i don't allow you to believe whatever nonsense you want without criticism, than i cant see my grandchild, or my nephew neices cousins etc.
Why do you believe it is your right to call anyone's beliefs "nonsense"? Personally, I think people's beliefs should be not only respected but given a wide berth. My only objection is when people try to make others live in accordance with their beliefs. But in their homes, within their families, why would it be anyone's place to criticize them?
Sure, everyone has the right to believe what ever they want, but I also have the right to hear your beliefs and call them fucking stupid.

And as if to make my point you just said "within their families" except in this case, we have someone who is saying that family members who disagree with the biological parents can shun themselves and their child away from the rest of "their families". Does this holy "right of parents" extend to the step-parents as well?
I don't think the step-parents have a right to be mouthing off about family members' beliefs. Period. They take the consequences of their mouths. Have I missed something?

Excellent.
Now with the personal attacks. So predictable.
YOU attacked ME, penguin. Believe as you will, but I do not want a Christian government state. Because if we can have that, we can also have an antiGodist state.

See, you are justifying your behavior. I said "don't interfere." You don't like it, sux to be you. But, y es, you get it. You can see them when they are adults. Discussion is one thing, but if you keep going when I say "stop", that's on you. ps: we can put your share of the inheritance to the SPCA
you can cut yourself off and become a monk and go live in a monastery in the woods for all i care but your kids are not your private property, What would you do if your kids grew up to have different beliefs than you? and refused to let you near your grandkids until you accepted Lord qeutzacotl into your heart?
My children have every right to grow up and have different beliefs than me.

You don't get to interfere is the point when they are young.

Public school is fair stuff as long as the teachers are teaching and not indoctrinating.

But if your family goes to church or not, and you don't like it, and they tell you to stop and you don't, that's on you, not them.
Theyre not just converted by the godless public school teacher they will be influenced by everyone they meet in their entire lives, I dont know how small of a town you live in but, theyre friends at school will influence them,Movies music the internet, they may even get married to someone and convert before they even hit the magical age of 18.
Why do you believe it is your right to call anyone's beliefs "nonsense"? Personally, I think people's beliefs should be not only respected but given a wide berth. My only objection is when people try to make others live in accordance with their beliefs. But in their homes, within their families, why would it be anyone's place to criticize them?
Sure, everyone has the right to believe what ever they want, but I also have the right to hear your beliefs and call them fucking stupid.

And as if to make my point you just said "within their families" except in this case, we have someone who is saying that family members who disagree with the biological parents can shun themselves and their child away from the rest of "their families". Does this holy "right of parents" extend to the step-parents as well?
I don't think the step-parents have a right to be mouthing off about family members' beliefs. Period. They take the consequences of their mouths. Have I missed something?
You have it absolutely correctomundo.

So we have onyx and penguin wanting to force their way into our family circle and preach whatever they want to preach.

Nope, guys, never going to happen.

I've no idea what your politics are regarding rights for LGBT community or abortion, but if you expect nonbelievers to live according to your tenets, you are guilty of the same thing. In case that's what you're getting at. That's where I draw the line.
Not to pick a fight. I'm sorry for your friends at church, and I think they should find new housemates ASAP.
How do you get "to live according to your tenets"? I said you must respect my wishes on God or not in our family's private space. That has nothing to do with how you live your life outside of our private space.

Yes, we are going to offer them one of the cottages for six months so they can get their finances in order and buy their own home.
Good going. And I have no wish to argue with you on the other.

Good going. And I have no wish to argue with you on the other.
Thank you. We can always discuss those matter until one of us says "nah, not today," and that is just fine.

onyx and penugin and purple owl need to respect private space, and they seem to have a problem with that.

"I never will, by any word or act, bow to the shrine of intolerance or admit a right of inquiry into the religious opinions of others." --Thomas Jefferson to Edward Dowse, 1803. ME 10:378

Excellent.

Different family's have different dynamics. I am not a religious person, but I have 2 sisters who are absolute god freaks. Our family is pretty open and we have a lot of religious, spiritual, political etc discussions. It was that way when I was growing up and we raised our kids that way too. I never really realized that our family was that different until after I was married, and noticed my wife's family didn't have those type of discussions.

Now you said "interfree with the right....", so that is beyond just discussing. I would be agitated if a family member actively tried to keep someone from their faith, but I think you have to look from both perspectives. If someone I cared about was involved in something I considered a harmful cult, then I would feel it was my duty to try an intervene.

No right or wrong answer here IMO. It Depends on circumstances and individuals involved.

I will say, "Mind your business, my friend."

Why should I?

Exactly, as a good little liberal it is your duty to stick your nose in to everybody's business, and let them know what they are doing wrong.
onyx is an anarchist and every bit as messed up as is bripat, btm.

I understand what you mean about folks being involved in cults, whether religious or secular, and, yes, I would find that a hard call.

Forum List

Back