Public Education Failing

Nothing wrong with unions

Otherwise we end up with Oklahoma or West Virginia
That's where we disagree. Unions are a big part of the problem in my opinion. It's against the law in Washington state for teachers to walk out during the school year, yet they did it. When the laws are ignored, there's something wrong. Unions have nothing to do with education and actually hurt education in my opinion. It's not about the teacher, it's about educating the student. Unions are never satisfied. Raising taxes on families where both parents work 12 months a year to pay for a teacher working 9 months a year and making more money is what people are angry about.

The teacher is paid for 187 days. His/her salary is divided by 12 to calculate his/her monthly salary. It is the parents who want the flexibility to have their child available for THEIR vacation when it's convenient for the parent's work schedule. During the time school IS in session, the teacher designs lessons for the most able students while trying to maintain order in a classroom filled with students who have no manners, no concept of civil behavior and some who are truly mentally ill.

Your contempt for teaching is obvious and not based on anything but your prejudices.
My wife is a teacher's aide for special education, so don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. Give the teachers back their authority in the classroom. Teachers are handcuffed.

I am sure your WIFE knows what she is talking about, but based on the post that I was replying to, I doubt if you actually listen to her.
What exactly is it in my post that makes you doubt I know what I'm talking about?

"Unions have nothing to do with education and actually hurt education in my opinion. It's not about the teacher, it's about educating the student. Unions are never satisfied. Raising taxes on families where both parents work 12 months a year to pay for a teacher working 9 months a year and making more money is what people are angry about."

Other than exposing your anti-union bias, those words do nothing to address the real world of teaching. And, might I add that the idea that teachers only work 9 months is not only wrong, but incredibly ignorant. During the "3 months" off that you claim exists, the truth is that most schools run from mid-August to June and during the days that are not paid, the teacher is required to go to training's to "stay current" on teaching practices and technologies. Your wife, as an aide, might not have to attend all those trainings, but the teachers she works with do. You'd know that if you knew more about education.

Um, leftist was in charge the last 8 years and the union and probably 75% of the teachers are leftist. How about some ideas to fix the broken beast. Any ideas?

75 percent of the counties in this country are run by the Republicans

They call the shots, they find the schools
Ok, whatever. Give me some solutions for the public education failure.
Fewer mandatory exams
A willingness to accept student improvement over meeting an arbitrary threshold
More vocational and life skills
Low cost higher education

Fewer mandatory exams = Diminished content for students to think critically about. You either know a thing, or you don't. It really is that simple.

The Present Gulag Provides Neither Reward Nor Punishment

Divide the classes into teams. The highest-scoring team will get Friday off, the lowest-scoring one will have to come in on Saturday. Individual high-scorers from four grades older will get paid to teach the Saturday classes.

Stupid idea

That's where we disagree. Unions are a big part of the problem in my opinion. It's against the law in Washington state for teachers to walk out during the school year, yet they did it. When the laws are ignored, there's something wrong. Unions have nothing to do with education and actually hurt education in my opinion. It's not about the teacher, it's about educating the student. Unions are never satisfied. Raising taxes on families where both parents work 12 months a year to pay for a teacher working 9 months a year and making more money is what people are angry about.

The teacher is paid for 187 days. His/her salary is divided by 12 to calculate his/her monthly salary. It is the parents who want the flexibility to have their child available for THEIR vacation when it's convenient for the parent's work schedule. During the time school IS in session, the teacher designs lessons for the most able students while trying to maintain order in a classroom filled with students who have no manners, no concept of civil behavior and some who are truly mentally ill.

Your contempt for teaching is obvious and not based on anything but your prejudices.
My wife is a teacher's aide for special education, so don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. Give the teachers back their authority in the classroom. Teachers are handcuffed.

I am sure your WIFE knows what she is talking about, but based on the post that I was replying to, I doubt if you actually listen to her.
What exactly is it in my post that makes you doubt I know what I'm talking about?

"Unions have nothing to do with education and actually hurt education in my opinion. It's not about the teacher, it's about educating the student. Unions are never satisfied. Raising taxes on families where both parents work 12 months a year to pay for a teacher working 9 months a year and making more money is what people are angry about."

Other than exposing your anti-union bias, those words do nothing to address the real world of teaching. And, might I add that the idea that teachers only work 9 months is not only wrong, but incredibly ignorant. During the "3 months" off that you claim exists, the truth is that most schools run from mid-August to June and during the days that are not paid, the teacher is required to go to training's to "stay current" on teaching practices and technologies. Your wife, as an aide, might not have to attend all those trainings, but the teachers she works with do. You'd know that if you knew more about education.
Yes, I'm anti union, and I'll tell you why. We have a law in Washington state that states it is illegal to walk off the job while under contract during the school year. Last year teachers walked off the job while under contract. That's why I'm anti union. In the real world, when you walk off the job you are unemployed.

Yes, I'm anti union, and I'll tell you why. We have a law in Washington state that states it is illegal to walk off the job while under contract during the school year. Last year teachers walked off the job while under contract. That's why I'm anti union. In the real world, when you walk off the job you are unemployed.

Then the union is not the problem. The State's your problem because they didn't enforce the contract...or, they realized that the State was in the wrong and decided to not push their teachers any further because they need them to work.

Then the union is not the problem. The State's your problem because they didn't enforce the contract...or, they realized that the State was in the wrong and decided to not push their teachers any further because they need them to work.
No, the union was behind the walkout. The state is run by democrats, a democrat governor and majority legislature. Our problem in Washington state is democrats and their unions.

No, the union was behind the walkout. The state is run by democrats, a democrat governor and majority legislature. Our problem in Washington state is democrats and their unions.

The union might have been behind the walk out, but it's up to the State and local districts to enforce the law and the contracts they issue. Sounds to me like you need a new governor and legislature.

The union might have been behind the walk out, but it's up to the State and local districts to enforce the law and the contracts they issue. Sounds to me like you need a new governor and legislature.
Yes, and that's the goal. The corruption runs deep. The people will only put up with so much in regards to taxation. When you have both parents working to make what one teacher makes a year and the teacher's want more, something has to give. The popularity of charter schools has risen out of a need for common sense education.

Todays lesson:

Classroom.jpg

Yes, and that's the goal. The corruption runs deep. The people will only put up with so much in regards to taxation. When you have both parents working to make what one teacher makes a year and the teacher's want more, something has to give. The popularity of charter schools has risen out of a need for common sense education.

"When you have both parents working to make what one teacher makes a year..." That's insane and unworthy of response.

"When you have both parents working to make what one teacher makes a year..." That's insane and unworthy of response.
It's a fact of life for many people. The average wage for teachers in West Virginia is between 45 and 47 thousand. Many families with both parents working don't make that and if you want to include many single parents, not even close. Wake up.

It's a fact of life for many people. The average wage for teachers in West Virginia is between 45 and 47 thousand. Many families with both parents working don't make that and if you want to include many single parents, not even close. Wake up.

Then perhaps everyone should become a Teacher in West Virginia.

I will agree that teachers are handcuffed. They cannot do anything but teach to tests or the latest canned curriculum someone manages to sell to their district.
Someone? Liberals.

I'll take that as your concession. The point I'm making is teacher salaries should reflect the area in which they live. Some areas have higher costs of living and the citizens are paid accordingly. You can't pay a teacher the same salary in Porcupine butt, Alabama that you pay them in Beverly Hills, California.

I'll take that as your concession. The point I'm making is teacher salaries should reflect the area in which they live. Some areas have higher costs of living and the citizens are paid accordingly. You can't pay a teacher the same salary in Porcupine butt, Alabama that you pay them in Beverly Hills, California.

You may take it as a concession. I'm a bit pressed for time so can't look up the information to confirm/refute your claim. But, West Virginia is governed by the same law of supply and demand as the rest of the world and if you quality teachers, you have to pay them the going rate.

1. Eliminate the DOE.
2. Yank all federal funding and all federal programs.
3. End the practice of allowing special interest groups (like Planned Parenthood, the Audubon Society, the USFS etc) to *donate* time/resources/etc. to schools.
4. Fire all school administrators.
5. Eliminate the *teaching certificate* requirements.
6. Eliminate the unions.

Schools should be managed, funded, and taught at the local level with zero outside interference from the state or the feds.

You may take it as a concession. I'm a bit pressed for time so can't look up the information to confirm/refute your claim. But, West Virginia is governed by the same law of supply and demand as the rest of the world and if you quality teachers, you have to pay them the going rate.
The going rate is what is negotiated in their contract by elected officials. The problem I have is Washington teachers under contract walking out during the school year. That shows me those teachers don't care about contracts, "the children", or have any respect for the people that pay their salary.

Best solution. Eliminate the Federal Department of Democrat Indoctrination (Education) and replace the entire system with vouchers

Why on God's green earth do you think the federal government has any influence on what is taught in public schools?

The federal government deals with the poor and special education. That's it!

Fewer mandatory exams
A willingness to accept student improvement over meeting an arbitrary threshold
More vocational and life skills
Low cost higher education
So lower the standards and cost. I agree with lower the cost. However, your unions aren't going to go along. What do we do about the unions?
Nothing wrong with unions

Otherwise we end up with Oklahoma or West Virginia

You don't know what you are talking about.

Best solution. Eliminate the Federal Department of Democrat Indoctrination (Education) and replace the entire system with vouchers

Why on God's green earth do you think the federal government has any influence on what is taught in public schools?

The federal government deals with the poor and special education. That's it!

You'd sure like us to believe that.

Forum List

Back