PTSD -- The Arguments

Arthur

Rookie
Feb 4, 2009
Good for you, Robert. There is talk of awarding the Purple Heart to soldiers who have been mentally injured with PTSD.

Some soldiers may feel more likely to seek treatment for PTSD because their service is honored with less stigma attached.

Last edited:
Good for you Robert! War is a terrible thing for any soul to face. The childrens great grandpa had never gotten fully over the War. He drowned his nightmares and daymares with alchol. He was a sweetheart of a man and to know what he went through daily most who have been around War Vets will know that our soldiers will every bit of help they can get.

• Banned
Good for you Robert! War is a terrible thing for any soul to face. The childrens great grandpa had never gotten fully over the War. He drowned his nightmares and daymares with alchol. He was a sweetheart of a man and to know what he went through daily most who have been around War Vets will know that our soldiers will every bit of help they can get.

I was just discussing the topic of war and trauma today with a pal. WWII generation survived the trauma of the war by not talking about it and drinking themselves to death. Being stoic was valued. Then the Vietnam vets fell apart after the war, and PTSD was recognized more clearly. Some WWII vets considered the Vietnam vets 'wimps' for falling apart.

Today we live in a time when PTSD is recognized and some consider it a wound of war as real as a loss of a limb.

I was just discussing the topic of war and trauma today with a pal. WWII generation survived the trauma of the war by not talking about it and drinking themselves to death. Being stoic was valued. Then the Vietnam vets fell apart after the war, and PTSD was recognized more clearly. Some WWII vets considered the Vietnam vets 'wimps' for falling apart.

Today we live in a time when PTSD is recognized and some consider it a wound of war as real as a loss of a limb.
Yes it is and it is heart breaking when you see that special person suffering day in and day out.

I did not know grandpa Ernie had a hair trigger while he sleep. One day I went to wake him up off the couch. I tried to wake him by just saying it was dinner time first several times. That did not work so I lihjtly touched his toes and said grandpa time for dinner. He jump up and started for me, then he awoke fully enough to see it was me. He just broke down in tears and just kept saying how sorry he was. He was a hero. They had given him a Silver Star. He would not have it.

He drank himself to death. It was very terrible to see such a thing. He was 12 years old when he joined up after Pearl Harbor was bombed. Lied about his age to serve his country.

Good for you, Robert. There is talk of awarding the Purple Heart to soldiers who have been mentally injured with PTSD.

Some soldiers may feel more likely to seek treatment for PTSD because their service is honored with less stigma attached.

I wouldn't want a Purple Heart for PTSD. And I got news for you ... it's people like you and your condescending manner who attach the perceived shame to PTSD. We get treated like we're broken toys or some shit.

Treat us like we're human beings. We don't want your pity, nor to be put on posters or commercials for people to gawk at. We did your dirty work. Give us the medical treatment, stop staring at us with wide eyes filled with crocodile tears, and otherwise leave us alone.

• Banned

I wouldn't want a Purple Heart for PTSD. And I got news for you ... it's people like you and your condescending manner who attach the perceived shame to PTSD. We get treated like we're broken toys or some shit.

Treat us like we're human beings. We don't want your pity, nor to be put on posters or commercials for people to gawk at. We did your dirty work. Give us the medical treatment, stop staring at us with wide eyes filled with crocodile tears, and otherwise leave us alone.

People like me? What condescending manner?

Are you really a man? because the men I know don't want to be a poster child for a cause, or to be told that they are wounded, falling apart, or broken. I know a ton of guys with PTSD from working in law enforcement. If they are dealing with PTSD, they know it. They want to QUIETLY work on their issues without being put in front of an audience as a spokesperson for a cause.

It is simply a part of the job that most of us who do such stressful jobs where we might get shot at and/or die accept as normal. I would never deal with my PTSD with some touchy feely social worker type. I hate that shit and people like that. Nobody I know likes to have his/her head fucked with by some silly social worker.

A lot of the guys I know feel emasculated to even talk about their dreams, panic attacks, etc. This is not a place to insert yourself to use them for your political agenda.

They aren't your poster children for "mental health treatment for all!" crusades. Do you even get that?

Men deal with these issues differently than women. I suspect you aren't a male poster at all, or you'd understand what you did.

Last edited:

People like me? What condescending manner?

you were talking to a pal ?

This essay sums up my position:

"The people in favor of excluding PTSD from a Purple Heart say you have to shed blood to get a Purple Heart. What about conditions like traumatic closed head brain injury? No bloodshed there. Sometimes the injury doesn’t even show on a CAT scan. Our diagnostics haven’t yet caught up with what we know and are on the verge of proving. Why deprive our soldiers of this deserved honor because of our ignorance? PTSD and major depression can also be fatal diseases if untreated. In other words, you can die from PTSD, through suicide, alcoholism or related illness. Not enough?

It’s hard for me not to have a kneejerk reaction to this decision. I’ve treated my share of PTSD cases, combat veterans and civilians. My patients were not faking their symptoms. If I had a doubt I referred them to a well-established expert who provided the testing and diagnostics needed for a conclusive diagnosis.

So the bad news is the Pentagon, a bastion of conservatism after all, decided against giving the Purple Heart to soldiers wounded with PTSD. The good news is they even considered it."

PTSD and the Purple Heart - World of Psychology

Last edited:
This essay sums up my position:

Then I can only say that you have very little experience with men who have PTSD (and a lot of women). The last thing people want in that scenario is to be painted as victims, the "walking wounded."

And yeah, I'm speaking for myself in that regard.

Are you a man? Or are you some kind of chai-swilling metrosexual pseudo man who believes in drum circles and group hugs?

Last edited:
There is No way a soldier should get a Purple Heart for PTSD

It should be reserved for physical injuries recieved during combat. Period

If we start giving them for PTSD.

What's next?

Purple Hearts for high blood pressure due to combat stress??

It's a sign of progress in taking PTSD seriously that the Pentagon even considered awarding the Purple Heart for PTSD.

It's a sign of progress in taking PTSD seriously that the Pentagon even considered awarding the Purple Heart for PTSD.

Did you even listen to what people said here? You have at least one Gunnery Sergeant from the Marines telling you that he doesn't WANT that kind of recognition, that he finds it offensive and belittling.

The point of awarding the Purple Heart is to encourage men and women returning from combat with PTSD is to acknowledge that PTSD is a true injury--even though the wounds are internal.

Forum List

Back