Proud To Be White

My take?

I think most that have responded missed Pale's point, are at the least, what he said.

Example, African American, Mexican American, Asian American, ALL terms, that would cause one to think, me anyway, that someone was African first, then an American next. FUCK that, pure and simple. If you walk around with a "chip" on your shoulder, and you want to be identified with some ethnic group FIRST, then don't look to me for support, or ANY interest in defending you.

I'm NATIVE American, just to "jump on the band wagon", but really, I'm an American FIRST. I'm good with my background, I'm NOT embarrassed to talk about my heritage, but I WOULDN'T be an AMERICAN if I thought I came first, and America second.

Don't want to presume to talk for Pale, but until folks start to understand the difference between HISTORY, and the "here, and now", this nation is going to have problems moving on.

My two cents...........:dunno:

That is a good summation, and I'm proud to know you trobinett. I'm a tiny bit "native" American myself. My great, great, grandmother was full blooded Winnebago indian. That makes me 1/16, or some little amount like that. I'm more Irish and Scottish than anything.

But I do NOT call myself ________ American. I'm an American period. A "white" American. And yes Jillian, I "am" proud to be white. If I was black, I'd be proud to be black. If I was yellow, I'd be proud to be yellow. Etc.. Nothing wrong with that. But when everybody BUT "whites" can be proud of their race and openly proclaim it, then it's a damn travisty. It's hypocritical. It's a double standard, AND it happens. That's what steams me.

But I do NOT call myself ________ American. I'm an American period.

I don't either... I think it's goofy when people do that.

A "white" American. And yes Jillian, I "am" proud to be white. If I was black, I'd be proud to be black. If I was yellow, I'd be proud to be yellow. Etc.. Nothing wrong with that. But when everybody BUT "whites" can be proud of their race and openly proclaim it, then it's a damn travisty. It's hypocritical. It's a double standard, AND it happens. That's what steams me.

First, I don't have different standards for whites and other people. I have no problem saying all of my grandparents were from Belarus. I find my background interesting and my grandparents had great stories. I would hope everyone feels that way about their own history.

Second, and since I answered your question, perhaps you can answer one for me..... other than feeling generally good about who we are....which I would hope we all do, how does race somehow make us better or worse? I mean, it's not like we picked it, worked at it or the like.

That is a good summation, and I'm proud to know you trobinett. I'm a tiny bit "native" American myself. My great, great, grandmother was full blooded Winnebago indian. That makes me 1/16, or some little amount like that. I'm more Irish and Scottish than anything.

But I do NOT call myself ________ American. I'm an American period. A "white" American. And yes Jillian, I "am" proud to be white. If I was black, I'd be proud to be black. If I was yellow, I'd be proud to be yellow. Etc.. Nothing wrong with that. But when everybody BUT "whites" can be proud of their race and openly proclaim it, then it's a damn travisty. It's hypocritical. It's a double standard, AND it happens. That's what steams me.

the issue is for quite a while (some say whites still do) the whites treated other races as second class citizens....so for now the whites have to take it and all the self help (racist) groups get to do as they please.....payback.

stupid of them really...it will come back to haunt them...always does

the issue is for quite a while (some say whites still do) the whites treated other races as second class citizens....so for now the whites have to take it and all the self help (racist) groups get to do as they please.....payback.

stupid of them really...it will come back to haunt them...always does

It already has, IMO.

Btw, how long a time period do you estimate "for now" will be? Will there ever be a time in this country when race isn't such a defining charateristic or overriding issue for so many?

Second, and since I answered your question, perhaps you can answer one for me..... other than feeling generally good about who we are....which I would hope we all do, how does race somehow make us better or worse? I mean, it's not like we picked it, worked at it or the like.

Except for Michael Jackson, of course! :teeth:

Yes you did answer my question. Thank you.

And to answer your's, I wasn't implying that color made anyone "better" than someone else. "I" don't feel that I'm "better" than anyone else, and I didn't say I was either. I said I was "proud" to be white. I also said that if every other race on earth can say they are "proud" to be whatever they are, then why does it make me a "racist" when "I" say it?

Two different ball games Jill. Stay with me here.

I also said that if every other race on earth can say they are "proud" to be whatever they are, then why does it make me a "racist" when "I" say it?

Because white people are evil. You didn't get the memo? Jesse Jackson has been saying it for years. :D

Example, African American, Mexican American, Asian American, ALL terms, that would cause one to think, me anyway, that someone was African first, then an American next. FUCK that, pure and simple.

Funny that when this stuff comes up nobody mentions anything about German-Americans, Irish-Americans, Italian-Americans, Greek-Americans, or any of those other European-Americans.

I never hear anyone bitch about them not wanting to fit in when they throw their big ethnic festivals every year, but when the brownskins want to throw a party theres always a handfull that come out to bash them for it.

Yes you did answer my question. Thank you.

And to answer your's, I wasn't implying that color made anyone "better" than someone else. "I" don't feel that I'm "better" than anyone else, and I didn't say I was either. I said I was "proud" to be white. I also said that if every other race on earth can say they are "proud" to be whatever they are, then why does it make me a "racist" when "I" say it?

Two different ball games Jill. Stay with me here.

I think it is obvious that your point has been made Pale, look at how much better others feel about pretending that they don't see the hypocrisy.

Being from the deep south I have been told how racist I must be by "holier than though people" in Colorado who assumed it just because of where I was born. You know what is really funny about that, all were people that proudly proclaimed to be Democrats. The same assumptions were made by people when I lived in California. In Colorado, every year the KKK had Capital steps demonstrations on MLK day and Hitler's birthday, I have never seen anything having to do with the KKK in the south. I know they exist here I just haven't seen them like I did in Denver.

Knowing your Veteran status, I know that you worked daily with all races and I doubt you have a racist bone in your body. By merely posting what you did there will be those that assume the opposite..... proves the point of the post perfectly! In fact, I would bet a months paycheck you would be the kind of guy to stop and help a stranded motorist regardless of the color of their skin or even their sexual preference, of course you would be packing some heat when you do......ha ha ha, you're not naive!:laugh: :thup: :thup:

The hand that rocks the cradle will rule the world

Within a generation, or at most two, whites will be a minority in our country. Whites are reproducing at a rate that is well below the "replacement" level of 2.1 children per couple. Europe has been like that for years, and this country also. I believe the reasons for not having children was primarily economic, but cultural factors were involved. It may be that many baby boomers felt that there were too many humans and that we had to stop having so many children. My opinion is that women's lib and the "Me" generation mentality had a lot to do with it. Look at the situation. More women have babies out of wedlock, divorce is at an all time high, a recent news story reports that married couples now make up less than half of our population. The attitude was, and in some circles still is, that marriage is patriarchal oppression and that a woman could not be fulfilled as a mother but only by having a career.

(As an aside, I believe the primary reason that women entered the work force in the 1960s and 1970shad more to do with straight and simple economics and little or nothing to do with the Women's movement, but that's not relevant to this thread)

However, other groups of people didn't feel the same way. Hispanics, Asians and other groups seem to be having more children than whites.

As our population ages, and number of native born people to replace baby boomers is found to be in short supply, what will our nation do? The answer will be import workers from other parts of the world. Areas such as South America, Mexico, the Middle East and other areas that have an excess of workers. Eventually, we will be in the same position as Europe. That is, we will have a large group of people living amongst us who are foreigners, and will not share our culture or our values. In fact, they will view us as being inferior and with contempt.

It is quite possible that, with the continuation of affirmative action and other government policies that discriminate against whites, that those of us of European ancestry will find ourselves not only being slowly discriminated against more and more, but with less and less of a voice in our own government. Our descendants may find themselves in a very unpleasant situation of living in a country where they are a distinct minority, and legally discriminated against.

This leads me to believe that the Islamists may eventually win this war. However, they won't win it with bombs and rockets, they will win it by simply doing what we won't do.... having more babies and teaching them the values of their culture, not ours.

As our population ages, and number of native born people to replace baby boomers is found to be in short supply, what will our nation do? The answer will be import workers from other parts of the world. Areas such as South America, Mexico, the Middle East and other areas that have an excess of workers. Eventually, we will be in the same position as Europe. That is, we will have a large group of people living amongst us who are foreigners, and will not share our culture or our values. In fact, they will view us as being inferior and with contempt.

It is quite possible that, with the continuation of affirmative action and other government policies that discriminate against whites, that those of us of European ancestry will find ourselves not only being slowly discriminated against more and more, but with less and less of a voice in our own government. Our descendants may find themselves in a very unpleasant situation of living in a country where they are a distinct minority, and legally discriminated against.

I've said this many times here, "America will see another civil war". I'm begining to doubt that now though. I'm starting to believe there won't be enough people left in America with a full ball sack to put up a fight when the time comes.

This leads me to believe that the Islamists may eventually win this war. However, they won't win it with bombs and rockets, they will win it by simply doing what we won't do.... having more babies and teaching them the values of their culture, not ours.

My father has said for years, all the minorities will have to do to take over is BREED themselves into power. Thirty years ago that was a radical thing to say. Today it looks like he knew exactly what he was talking about.

whenever i get any kind of paperwork that asks for voluntary ethnic background and age info, I write my own line and "American" and check/'x' it.

I typically write in "mixed". My reasoning is that the northern European tribes should have as much distinction in society as those of “color”. Looking at the default selections of these forms, it is apparent that the liberal bureaucrat who thought up the categories does not think so.

I typically write in "mixed". My reasoning is that the northern European tribes should have as much distinction in society as those of “color”. Looking at the default selections of these forms, it is apparent that the liberal bureaucrat who thought up the categories does not think so.
Oh yes, all those African tribes have their own box on the form.

:laugh:

How would your form look?

Whites check here?
Colored check here?

My take?

I think most that have responded missed Pale's point, are at the least, what he said.

Example, African American, Mexican American, Asian American, ALL terms, that would cause one to think, me anyway, that someone was African first, then an American next. FUCK that, pure and simple. If you walk around with a "chip" on your shoulder, and you want to be identified with some ethnic group FIRST, then don't look to me for support, or ANY interest in defending you.

I'm NATIVE American, just to "jump on the band wagon", but really, I'm an American FIRST. I'm good with my background, I'm NOT embarrassed to talk about my heritage, but I WOULDN'T be an AMERICAN if I thought I came first, and America second.

Don't want to presume to talk for Pale, but until folks start to understand the difference between HISTORY, and the "here, and now", this nation is going to have problems moving on.

My two cents...........:dunno:

I call myself a Greek American, problem?

America undoubtedly offers the best educational and economic opportunities in the world, that is unargueable but........the lifestyle, crime and social vices are undoubtedly the worst of the civilized world. My two cents.

In America you live to work, most other places you work to live.

My father has said for years, all the minorities will have to do to take over is BREED themselves into power. Thirty years ago that was a radical thing to say. Today it looks like he knew exactly what he was talking about.

Do you have friends of other ethnicities? Have they ever mentioned to you a scheme to breed themselves into power?

Pale,and all of the other people here fearing a cultural take over,are forgetting some important aspects of the influx of immigrants into America.

1: Not all spanish speaking people are the same. The immigrants do not share the close cultural ties as many here seem to imagine. They eat different foods, speak in different dialects, and share different customs. There are also different races of spanish speaking people (darks skinned native heritage, lighter skin spanish heritage) and cultural tensions within the spanish community. To suppose a hispanic agenda to take over America would require turning a blind eye to the inrticacies of the spanish community.

2: Immigration to America is a factor of globalization, and will ultimately breed more cohesiveness as opposed to prejudice. The world is becoming more diverse through industry, corporation, mass media, and transit. As all of this happens, we become more alike. More Americans live and work abroad than ever before, and more foreigners find work in America. This is not just an American trend. By the end of this century, races will not be contained in there "natural homelands" but will be more intermingled across the globe. At the same time, people all over the globe will be eating/drinking/watching/wearing the same products. Globalization has many flaws, but the blending of races is one of the positives.

Hardly the equal economically or socially of America. Its generally considered to pretty much still be bordering on chaos there, and where chaos reigns the lifestyle, crime and social vices will generally flourish. What is our excuse here in America?

Forum List

Back