Prosecutor gets his budget cut, what a shame

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
Most people aren't aware, and don.t care, that the 50th anniversary of the Gideon decision which enshrined the entitlement to a lawyer even if you can't afford in the annals of the American criminal justice system. Unfortunately, that works a lot better on paper than it does in real life, most states don't even have a budget item for public defenders, they leave it to the county to pay for them. (Ask George it you don't believe me.) It seems that Detroit is having trouble paying the budget for the prosecutor, and the judges are being forced to dismiss the case because no one is showing up to represent the county.

Strange, if the defendant shows up, but the public defender can't afford to send a lawyer, they just reschedule.

For the second day in a row, attorneys with the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office did not appear for some cases at 36th District Court in Detroit prompting one judge to dismiss two drunken driving cases before him.

The no-shows for criminal traffic and misdemeanor cases come amid a dispute involving Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy and Executive Robert Ficano over budget cuts.

"Unfortunately, it doesn’t appear there is going to be any change any time soon," Chief Judge Kenneth King said today.

He met with Worthy this morning to discuss the situation and said judges are forced to dismiss or adjourn cases when prosecutors don’t show.

Prosecutor no-shows amid Wayne County budget standoff lead to case dismissals | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Not sure what you are complaining about. Isn't this what you Libertarian/Teabagger whacks want. No government? Starve the Beast?

Well, this is what the beast looks like when it starves.

Didn't read my post, did you?

Not sure what you are complaining about. Isn't this what you Libertarian/Teabagger whacks want. No government? Starve the Beast?

Yes, I did.. Same question applies...

If you think that no government is great, this is what no government looks like.

Yes, I did.. Same question applies...

If you think that no government is great, this is what no government looks like.

I suggest you go read it again, you obviously have me confused with your delusions.

Let me spell it out for you, it is a good thing that the city cannot prosecute people because of the budget crisis.

Let me spell it out for you, it is a good thing that the city cannot prosecute people because of the budget crisis.

You are absolutely right, it isn't.

But when you advocate low taxes so that rich douchebags can have dancing horsies rather than taking care of business THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT YOU GET!!!!!

Not only are you delusional, you can't read.

Forum List

Back