Proof How Your Religion Could Be Made Up

Was Tacitus the first Brian Williams?

LOLz

"I'm going to make up an entire groups, Christians, because well it's cool" -- things never said by Tacitus to appease Sealy and other people who don't think

LOLz

Who cares if a small but growing sect called christians was growing at the time? Anything written about the miracles was hearsay.

Greeks were invited into the synagogues and they liked the rituals and community but it takes a lot to become a Jew. So they made a new religion for gentiles. Very easy to join. Believe be baptized and give to the church and the rest is all symantics.

Have you ever read the Bible?

I gather from the lack of replies that theists understand it is very possible that their religions are made up. They only choose to believe their particular religions stories just like people of other religions do.

And then to tell people that god told your ancestors that the test to get into heaven or to not go to hell is that we have to believe you and your particular church?

And, once again. Why do you care?

Actually, why do you care? For example, I'll vote for a theist but apparently you guys won't vote for an atheist.

The Immoral Minority New polls shows that Americans would rather vote for an elderly pot smoking philanderer than vote for an Atheist. Oh come on

But people are getting smarter and things are getting better for us.

More Americans willing to vote for an atheist president - Religion News Service

True, 53 percent of Americans said they are least likely to choose a candidate who doesn’t believe in God, but in 2007, that number was 63 percent.

And those who said a candidate’s lack of belief didn’t matter to their vote rose, from 32 percent in 2007 to 41 percent today.

Stiefel — still dismayed that even pot smokers or philanderers were viewed more favorably than atheists — predicted Tuesday (May 20) that the shift will be even greater as more unbelievers come out of the closet.
I'm an agnostic, I vote for whoever I think will do the best job. However, invariably, the purpose of thse threads is for the atheist to say "look how smart I am, look how dumb you are rah rah rah." It's infantile and useless. So why do you do it?

I don't think religion is good for us. It held science/us back 2500 years. And it continues to. I'm just glad I live in the time when you don't have to be a Christian. They use to kill atheists.

There are different hypotheses regarding the origin of the texts because the gospels of the New Testament were written in Greek for Greek-speaking communities

scholars have to ask who wrote the gospels, when they wrote them, what was their objective in writing them, what sources the authors used, how reliable these sources were, and how far removed in time the sources were from the stories they narrate, or if they were altered later.
That is like saying you don't think science is good for us because of atomic bombs.

I suppose a religion that taught being good is what matters to god wouldn't be as bad as the religions we have now where people feel either they get a pass on being bad because they are gods chosen people or they believe god is on their side.

When you realize how small we are in the cosmos you realize how silly the idea we are special. We have only begun to realize how small we are or how little we have been around.

For every 1 of us there are 1 million tardigrades on earth. Do tardigrades go to heaven? There are probably millions of stars with planets that harbor life. Are they special? Do they go to heaven? Did god visit them and give them the same ten commandments?

We don't know shit. The nearest star is 70,000 years away.

And the universe is 14 billion years old. Were 7000 years old according to christians. We will maybe exist 1million years but the solar system will continue. Our stars a medium star. Nothing special

LOLz

"I'm going to make up an entire groups, Christians, because well it's cool" -- things never said by Tacitus to appease Sealy and other people who don't think

LOLz

Who cares if a small but growing sect called christians was growing at the time? Anything written about the miracles was hearsay.

Greeks were invited into the synagogues and they liked the rituals and community but it takes a lot to become a Jew. So they made a new religion for gentiles. Very easy to join. Believe be baptized and give to the church and the rest is all symantics.

Yeah maybe Obama is a myth too

Why don't you believe the Mormon story? Or why do so many Mormons believe that story? Are they insane?

Now consider you voted to have a person that believes that story to be the leader of the free world.

Now realize you bush santorum huckabee and Scott walker are just as dumb as mitt.

Actually, why do you care? For example, I'll vote for a theist but apparently you guys won't vote for an atheist.

The Immoral Minority New polls shows that Americans would rather vote for an elderly pot smoking philanderer than vote for an Atheist. Oh come on

True, 53 percent of Americans said they are least likely to choose a candidate who doesn’t believe in God, but in 2007, that number was 63 percent.

And those who said a candidate’s lack of belief didn’t matter to their vote rose, from 32 percent in 2007 to 41 percent today.

Stiefel — still dismayed that even pot smokers or philanderers were viewed more favorably than atheists — predicted Tuesday (May 20) that the shift will be even greater as more unbelievers come out of the closet.
I'm an agnostic, I vote for whoever I think will do the best job. However, invariably, the purpose of thse threads is for the atheist to say "look how smart I am, look how dumb you are rah rah rah." It's infantile and useless. So why do you do it?

I don't think religion is good for us. It held science/us back 2500 years. And it continues to. I'm just glad I live in the time when you don't have to be a Christian. They use to kill atheists.

There are different hypotheses regarding the origin of the texts because the gospels of the New Testament were written in Greek for Greek-speaking communities

scholars have to ask who wrote the gospels, when they wrote them, what was their objective in writing them, what sources the authors used, how reliable these sources were, and how far removed in time the sources were from the stories they narrate, or if they were altered later.
That is like saying you don't think science is good for us because of atomic bombs.

I suppose a religion that taught being good is what matters to god wouldn't be as bad as the religions we have now where people feel either they get a pass on being bad because they are gods chosen people or they believe god is on their side.

When you realize how small we are in the cosmos you realize how silly the idea we are special. We have only begun to realize how small we are or how little we have been around.

For every 1 of us there are 1 million tardigrades on earth. Do tardigrades go to heaven? There are probably millions of stars with planets that harbor life. Are they special? Do they go to heaven? Did god visit them and give them the same ten commandments?

And the universe is 14 billion years old. Were 7000 years old according to christians. We will maybe exist 1million years but the solar system will continue. Our stars a medium star. Nothing special
You have no understanding of God.

The nearest star is 3.2 light years away silly person. You're beginning to lose a lot of credibility here silly boy. These are well known facts that you seem to have no clue about.

The nearest star is 3.2 light years away silly person. You're beginning to lose a lot of credibility here silly boy. These are well known facts that you seem to have no clue about.

How long would it take to get there at voyagrrs top speed?

The point was too far for us right now. Science will speed it up to 40 years but hundreds or 1000 years will have passed here in the 40 space years

I use to have a very close relationship with god. I truly believed. Never believed he cared if I masturbated but thought he cared. Then I believed in a creator that doesn't care. Then I realized there is no god. That's man made wishful thinking or scared of hell.

I have a lot of insight on theism. I use to be one. Read the bible like you all asked then decided. What more do you want? Sorry science doesn't care how bad you want something to be true. Doesnt work that way

The point was too far for us right now. Science will speed it up to 40 years but hundreds or 1000 years will have passed here in the 40 space years
Is there some reason you are running from God?
Nope. Just realized we humans made it up and a lie is a lie no matter how much you think its good for you. Its not. They use religion to keep us down divide us control us hold us back.

I can't take anyone serious who believes god visited and did magic and has a heaven waiting. Its like we are in a new enlightenment era of science and the msjority of our citizens are still living in midevil times. Must be like back when they went from many gods to one. You'd be asking me if I want Zeus to strike me down or Poseidon to drown me next time I go swimming.

I use to have a very close relationship with god. I truly believed. Never believed he cared if I masturbated but thought he cared. Then I believed in a creator that doesn't care. Then I realized there is no god. That's man made wishful thinking or scared of hell.

I have a lot of insight on theism. I use to be one. Read the bible like you all asked then decided. What more do you want? Sorry science doesn't care how bad you want something to be true. Doesnt work that way
Does it make a difference that God speaks to me? Like in a real physical sense.

Doesn't matter. Were we going to make the trip to Alpha Centauri we would build a proper ship to do it. A plasma pinch engine vessel (a very primitive but workable solution at our tech level) would get us there in around 200 years.

Is there some reason you are running from God?

Because its such a primitive ancient superstitious idea that has held humans back thousands of years. Free thought and questioning everything is the scientific method and for thousands of years the church and state didn't allow that.

Don't put your trust in the writings of the ancients. A wise Arab said that 1000 years ago. 1000 years after JC and 500 before Mohammad.

Not to me or science.

Does it matter to you I saw an alien?

I have a friend swears an angel saved his life and believes exhorsisms. He was raised catholic.

But please tell me about your conversation with god.

Doesn't matter. Were we going to make the trip to Alpha Centauri we would build a proper ship to do it. A plasma pinch engine vessel (a very primitive but workable solution at our tech level) would get us there in around 200 years.
Sagan was hoping one day we might be able to do it in 40. Let's keep our fingers crossed. Imagine if Plato and christianity didn't suppress the scientific method over 2000 years ago. We might already be there. Of course someone else would have discovered the theory of relativity long before Einstein so our entire existance would be altered. None of us might not be here because history would be so different.

Sagan was hoping one day we might be able to do it in 40. Let's keep our fingers crossed. Imagine if Plato and christianity didn't suppress the scientific method over 2000 years ago. We might already be there. Of course someone else would have discovered the theory of relativity long before Einstein so our entire existance would be altered. None of us might not be here because history would be so different.

The Romans could have industrialized around 40 years after Christ when Heron of Alexandria created the aeolipile, a primitive steam engine. They chose to make a law that limited steam power to entertainment purposes only, because they were afraid of what would happen to their slave based economy. Blame them, not Plato. He was merely a philosopher, they COULD have done something truly revolutionary.

Not to me or science.

Does it matter to you I saw an alien?

I have a friend swears an angel saved his life and believes exhorsisms. He was raised catholic.

But please tell me about your conversation with god.
If you would like know my conversation with good read the Old Testament. If you are not going to believe in the possibility then that is something you will have to work out for yourself. You dodged my question I noticed.

I gather from the lack of replies that theists understand it is very possible that their religions are made up. They only choose to believe their particular religions stories just like people of other religions do.

And then to tell people that god told your ancestors that the test to get into heaven or to not go to hell is that we have to believe you and your particular church?

I love agnostics. They have one pleasing virtue that atheists don't.

Humility.

It's the height of arrogance to assert beyond all controversy that there is no God. Who has traversed the expanses of the universe? Who has existed infinitely into aniquity and witnessed the marvel of nascent creation? Who can say with any degree of certainty, credibility, or expertise that there is no God and no reality beyond the scutiny of our senses?

You can see why I respect your kind better.

Star Trek Voyager is fictional, and warp speed is theoretical.

LOLz

LOLz

Yeah maybe Obama is a myth too

Why don't you believe the Mormon story? Or why do so many Mormons believe that story? Are they insane?

Now consider you voted to have a person that believes that story to be the leader of the free world.

Now realize you bush santorum huckabee and Scott walker are just as dumb as mitt.

It's nothing personal.

I grew up RCC, fell away as a young man and lately seem to be turning to what you call myths as a source of guidance and inspiration and even hope.

They don't feel like myths to me and in any event, some myths like Atlantis and the Great Flood, actually existed

Be well

Forum List

Back