Prisoners should not be allowed to vote, and if they leaned conservative the left would agree.

Confounding

Gold Member
Jan 31, 2016
Conversely I think the main reason the right disagrees with giving them the right to vote is they know prisoners will lean left. This is just one more issue where everybody's position is conveniently in line with what would be best for their party.

Anyway, here is my reasoning for why I don't think prisoners should vote.

The barrier of having to be 18 to vote was put in place because a person should have some modicum of competence and maturity when contributing to decisions that impact the nation.

Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) - Education and Correctional Populations

68% of State prison inmates did not receive a high school diploma

14 Percent of U.S. Adults Can't Read

63 percent of prison inmates can't read

A large amount of these people really are just violent, ignorant scumbags that we shouldn't give a political voice to. I don't give a fuck about your democracy for all argument. Fuck that. No votes for prison inmates. By and large they are the trash of society and I completely support not giving a fuck about their opinions.

Last edited:
Many more people shouldn't vote. USA is not a democracy and never was one. We have gone overboard, the results are not good.

• Banned
People that dont have any skin in the game.

The left would disintegrate overnight. What do you think the ramifications of that would be? Would they go silently, or would the nation descend into chaos?

Leftists are all about giving cons their voting rights back...what about their Second Amendment right?

Yeah...thought so fuckheads.

Conversely I think the main reason the right disagrees with giving them the right to vote is they know prisoners will lean left. This is just one more issue where everybody's position is conveniently in line with what would be best for their party.

The barrier of having to be 18 to vote was put in place because a person should have some modicum of competence and maturity when contributing to decisions that impact the nation.

A large amount of these people really are just violent, ignorant scumbags that we shouldn't give a political voice to. I don't give a fuck about your democracy for all argument. Fuck that. No votes for prison inmates. By and large they are the trash of society and I completely support not giving a fuck about their opinions.

I agree. They are being sanctioned. I doubt they lean left/right or other.

People actually in prison should not vote. Some of their freedoms have been suspended because they committed a crime. I'm fine with them voting after they have paid their debt to society.

I do think we have folks in prison that don't belong there. Hopefully that will change soon.

People actually in prison should not vote. Some of their freedoms have been suspended because they committed a crime. I'm fine with them voting after they have paid their debt to society.

I do think we have folks in prison that don't belong there. Hopefully that will change soon.
So they should get all rights back when time is served?

Sorry, OP, but I have to disagree with you. I rate the success of my job by how how many qualified citizens get registered to vote, period.

But speaking specifically of felons in prison, they are U.S. citizens that, by Supreme Court ruling, do not lose the fundamental right to marry. Why should the fundamental right to vote be different? Because they might get to vote on laws regarding crime and punishment? So what? We get to vote on things that effect our lives, why can't they?

in virginia, they let felons who have served their time vote when they get out of jail, i agree with that.

this makes them feel good about themselves and prevents future crime, my friends!

this is legal in 40 states!

Sorry, OP, but I have to disagree with you. I rate the success of my job by how how many qualified citizens get registered to vote, period.

But speaking specifically of felons in prison, they are U.S. citizens that, by Supreme Court ruling, do not lose the fundamental right to marry. Why should the fundamental right to vote be different? Because they might get to vote on laws regarding crime and punishment? So what? We get to vote on things that effect our lives, why can't they?

Why do we not let children vote? Why do we not let children be in complete control of their own lives? Because they're not mature enough and don't understand enough about the world. My 7 year old knows how to read and probably knows more about the world than a lot of these inmates do. If prisoners should be allowed to vote I think he should be allowed to vote too.

why do you hate democracy?

why do you hate democracy?

Illiterate prisoners that understand approximately dick about the world shouldn't have a say in things that impact the nation. I don't think that belief means I hate democracy.

Last edited:
Ha ha, I agree, NO DOUBT if they leaned conservative the left would agree.

Of course prisoners shouldn't vote. Only the rock-dumb & corrupt believe otherwise. But I believe their rights should be restored after they've served their time, whether it be prison or parole.

Forum List

Back