Power the U.S. With Solar Panels!

People come home after work and turn up the airconditioning, plug in their electric cars, run their microwaves and televisions. Are you sure peak demand is always during sunlight hours?
Demand levels rise throughout the day and tend to be highest during a block of hours referred to as "on-peak," which usually occurs between 7:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. on weekdays. Weekly patterns: Demand levels are generally lowest between 10 p.m. and 7 a.m. and on weekends.

Demand levels rise throughout the day and tend to be highest during a block of hours referred to as "on-peak," which usually occurs between 7:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. on weekdays. Weekly patterns: Demand levels are generally lowest between 10 p.m. and 7 a.m. and on weekends.

Demand levels rise throughout the day and tend to be highest during a block of hours referred to as "on-peak," which usually occurs between 7:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. on weekdays.

Looks like you're gonna run short when days aren't as long, on cloudy, rainy and snowy days.

Great. With full solar and running non-stop, they power the area.
Sun sets, solar drops to zero, now there is insufficient power.
Demand also drops but you're right, some storage is likely going to have to be part of the system. Assuming no wind, hydrothermal, or other system is available and power is not available for purchase on the grid.

Demand levels rise throughout the day and tend to be highest during a block of hours referred to as "on-peak," which usually occurs between 7:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. on weekdays.

Looks like you're gonna run short when days aren't as long, on cloudy, rainy and snowy days.
Hopefully the designers are as smart as you are and can anticipate those inevitabilities.

In the UK if you install solar panels to your home, it takes 10.21 years to break even in East Anglia compared to 14.84 years in northern Scotland.

The average time people live in a home before selling and moving is nearly 9 years.

Solar panels only increase a house price on average by £1,916, average cost to supply and fit the panels is £5,875.

If I went and fitted solar panels, I would be the best part of 70 before I broke even. So I haven't and won't bother. But I would have to move because the current house is facing the wrong direction to give any payback at all.

In the UK if you install solar panels to your home, it takes 10.21 years to break even in East Anglia compared to 14.84 years in northern Scotland.

The average time people live in a home before selling and moving is nearly 9 years.

Solar panels only increase a house price on average by £1,916, average cost to supply and fit the panels is £5,875.

If I went and fitted solar panels, I would be the best part of 70 before I broke even. So I haven't and won't bother. But I would have to move because the current house is facing the wrong direction to give any payback at all.
I don't think the UK will ever be a hot spot for Photo Voltaics. A wind turbine might be a better investment. Someday.

Yet people are still building them, investing lots of money, so I think they know what they're getting.
What do they get. They get grants, subsidies, and payments not to go over quotas . And the land owner rakes in a fortune in rent.

And what does the consumer get? Expensive electric to pay for wind turbine grants, subsidies, quotas, and land rent.

You won't believe it though, some people (alarmists) thinks that all this wind turbine idea is fantastic.

In Germany, the people are getting the highest electricity prices in the world.
Triple what we pay in the US.
Maybe because they choose to:

Several European countries pay north of $7 or $8 per gallon, including Germany, France, Italy, Spain and the United Kingdom. At the top of the expensive list is Hong Kong, where prices per gallon are higher than $11, followed by Norway at more than $10.​
"European energy prices of all kinds are higher than what consumers in the U.S. pay," Peter McNally, Global Sector Lead for Industrials, Materials and Energy at Third Bridge told Yahoo Finance. "This was the case before 2022, but it has only become wider since."​
McNally explained the primary reason for the discrepancy is "the difference in U.S. and European fuel prices is the tax rates — Europe has significantly higher taxes than in the U.S.."​

What do they get. They get grants, subsidies, and payments not to go over quotas . And the land owner rakes in a fortune in rent.

And what does the consumer get? Expensive electric to pay for wind turbine grants, subsidies, quotas, and land rent.

You won't believe it though, some people (alarmists) thinks that all this wind turbine idea is fantastic.
I'm impressed. How do you know the local politics of China, India, and the UK so well?

Several European countries pay north of $7 or $8 per gallon, including Germany, France, Italy, Spain and the United Kingdom. At the top of the expensive list is Hong Kong, where prices per gallon are higher than $11, followed by Norway at more than $10.​
"European energy prices of all kinds are higher than what consumers in the U.S. pay," Peter McNally, Global Sector Lead for Industrials, Materials and Energy at Third Bridge told Yahoo Finance. "This was the case before 2022, but it has only become wider since."​
McNally explained the primary reason for the discrepancy is "the difference in U.S. and European fuel prices is the tax rates — Europe has significantly higher taxes than in the U.S.."​

Yes, they choose to install a bunch of free solar power and pay triple.

Congrats?

That's why we giggle when Americans complain about the cost to fuel their cars, we get out our violins for them!!

Forum List

Back