Power the U.S. With Solar Panels!

So it is only gov't subsidies that lowered the cost of solar? I doubt that and I don't think you'll produce any evidence to back that up. Government subsidies may end but the technology will continue to develop.

Not entirely. Shifting production away from first world countries with environmental laws and protections, to third world countries with none, was the biggest cause, but do you really want to poison brown people?

Or are you saying it's ok to poison brown people?

Not entirely. Shifting production away from first world countries with environmental laws and protections, to third world countries with none, was the biggest cause, but do you really want to poison brown people?

Or are you saying it's ok to poison brown people?
Are solar panels somehow unique or should we import no manufactured goods? What about raw materials, should we refuse to import them too? Works great for N. Korea.

It doesn't matter if you built it smaller, it's still more expensive to only run part time.
If you build it smaller you will have to run it full time since, ideally, solar would be the difference between a large and small plant. If there is too much power in the system I'm sure the excess could be sold or stored.

Who said it increased waste energy?
It moved heat from one spot to another.
That doesn't cool the Earth no matter how bad you are at physics.
Again... Waste heat from electricity use is the same for all cases. It's in the case of generating electricity from 100% fossil fuels and it's in the case of generating electricity from 100% solar. So you will have exactly the same waste heat in both cases. What won't be the same is solar radiation warming the surface of the planet.

If you build it smaller you will have to run it full time since, ideally, solar would be the difference between a large and small plant. If there is too much power in the system I'm sure the excess could be sold or stored.

If your solar output drops to zero, how can the full-time, smaller plant be enough?

Again... Waste heat from electricity use is the same for all cases. It's in the case of generating electricity from 100% fossil fuels and it's in the case of generating electricity from 100% solar. So you will have exactly the same waste heat in both cases. What won't be the same is solar radiation warming the surface of the planet.

Yes, the waste heat is the same. The solar radiation hitting the planet is the same.
With a lower albedo, more is retained, not less.

If your solar output drops to zero, how can the full-time, smaller plant be enough?
I'm not sure why the solar output would drop to zero unless you mean nighttime, a small plant can provide enough power at night when demand is low.

Where I live utilities have to be able to generate enough to satisfy peak demand, mainly hot, summer days. That is where solar panels can offer their best economy.

I'm not sure why the solar output would drop to zero unless you mean nighttime, a small plant can provide enough power at night when demand is low.

You said that the plant was going to run non-stop.
Does that mean its output plus solar are enought to power the area?

Where I live utilities have to be able to generate enough to satisfy peak demand, mainly hot, summer days. That is where solar panels can offer their best economy.

People come home after work and turn up the airconditioning, plug in their electric cars, run their microwaves and televisions. Are you sure peak demand is always during sunlight hours?

Forum List

Back