Popeyes beans, home made and FAST/Delicious

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
I experimented. Two cans drained pinto beans (but put a tad of water in and swish it around and add to the beans). 1 can refried beans. Bacon grease (about 3 tbsps) from my maple bacon (Farmer John...then eat the bacon, lol), red pepper flakes, powdered onion, powdered garlic, salt, pepper, liquid smoke (about a teaspoon). Stir it all up and add or subtract seasonings (and liquid smoke) according to preference/taste.

Throw it all in a crock pot on high, then to low for about 2 hours. Or less. Depending on how hungry you are, heh.

Delish. Add rice cooked rice either underneath a pile of beans, or mix it in all together. Good to go! Mine has been in the crock pot for about half an hour. Gonna eat some in about 30 minutes is smells SOOOO GOOOD.

Wonder what you could use instead of bacon grease?

Not that I'm opposed... Just don't have any. Lard?

I experimented. Two cans drained pinto beans (but put a tad of water in and swish it around and add to the beans). 1 can refried beans. Bacon grease (about 3 tbsps) from my maple bacon (Farmer John...then eat the bacon, lol), red pepper flakes, powdered onion, powdered garlic, salt, pepper, liquid smoke (about a teaspoon). Stir it all up and add or subtract seasonings (and liquid smoke) according to preference/taste.

Throw it all in a crock pot on high, then to low for about 2 hours. Or less. Depending on how hungry you are, heh.

Delish. Add rice cooked rice either underneath a pile of beans, or mix it in all together. Good to go! Mine has been in the crock pot for about half an hour. Gonna eat some in about 30 minutes is smells SOOOO GOOOD.
I'd probably add some ham hocks to it but it sounds great just as it is. :thup:

Great idea about getting out the ole' crock pot and put in to good use:) I make bean soup using a bag or two of those mixed beans, 2 ham hocks, onion, garlic, bacon for flavor, a large potato to help pull out the bean flavor more (who knows if it works but I always do it anyway ha), teaspoon of baking soda, salt/pepper. Red pepper flakes! The missing link! Tx:) I have completely forgotten about that liquid smoke..years ago I was using it like it was going out of style.

That is Popeyes secret. Liquid smoke!
But I added too much red pepper.

Hint: It takes awhile for the red pepper to release it's flavors so......just a bit. Then after about half an hour...THEN taste. If it isn't spicy enough..then you can add more. I didn't do that. Hence...having to add more rice to my dinner tonight. HOT, lol.

Hint: It takes awhile for the red pepper to release it's flavors so......just a bit. Then after about half an hour...THEN taste. If it isn't spicy enough..then you can add more. I didn't do that. Hence...having to add more rice to my dinner tonight. HOT, lol.
Don't mind the heat Gracie... It will put hair on your chest... :04:

Wonder what you could use instead of bacon grease?

Not that I'm opposed... Just don't have any. Lard?
Lard would be good but I had none. So....added bonus was the bacon grease and you get to eat the bacon while youre a'cookin'.

Ya gotta have some andouille sausage in Red beans and rice.
Thats where you get that smokey flavor from.

Ya gotta have some andouille sausage in Red beans and rice.
Thats where you get that smokey flavor from.
I'se in Calyfornica. I has no dears on how to make southern cajun rice and beans except thru Popeyes.

So...where's da recipe? Huh? Gimme your fave. Hell, give ALL of us your faves that that goes for the rest of y 'all too! :th_waiting:

And what is andouille sausage? Is that another southern thang? Betcha I can find some though.

Forum List

Back