Pope Francis Designates Cathedral of St. Peter in Chains a Minor Basilica

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
On Saturday, Aug. 15, the Assumption of Mary, Archbishop Dennis M. Schnurr announced that the Cathedral of St. Peter in Chains has been designated as a minor basilica, the first for the Archdiocese of Cincinnati.

During the 11:30 a.m. Mass, Archbishop Schnurr commented:

“With a great sense of joy, I bring to you this day the wonderful news that our Cathedral is now amongst those churches designated and recognized in the world as a minor basilica. It is my duty and responsibility this morning to read the decree of concession publicly inaugurating the special relationship this great cathedral now enjoys with the See of Rome.”

The decree, issued by the Vatican, reads:

This makes it Ohio's sixth basilica. I had no idea.

On Saturday, Aug. 15, the Assumption of Mary, Archbishop Dennis M. Schnurr announced that the Cathedral of St. Peter in Chains has been designated as a minor basilica, the first for the Archdiocese of Cincinnati.

“With a great sense of joy, I bring to you this day the wonderful news that our Cathedral is now amongst those churches designated and recognized in the world as a minor basilica. It is my duty and responsibility this morning to read the decree of concession publicly inaugurating the special relationship this great cathedral now enjoys with the See of Rome.”

What's so "wonderful" about the news? This isn't a new basilica that is being built, just an existing church being designated as a basilica.

What is the signifigance of a Cathedral being designated a Basilica?

In Ancient Rome, Basilica were considered public building, not Temples. Does this mean the Cathedral no longer has religious status?

What's so "wonderful" about the news? This isn't a new basilica that is being built, just an existing church being designated as a basilica.

It means that the Pope has considered it to be of some sort of architectural or historical significance.

What is the signifigance of a Cathedral being designated a Basilica?

In Ancient Rome, Basilica were considered public building, not Temples. Does this mean the Cathedral no longer has religious status?

Nope, you can be a Cathedral or a church and a basilica. It just means like in addition to your status the pope recognizes it as a basilica. I think it was way more cool in late antiquity. I'm partial.

Forum List

Back