Pompeii and Herculanum

Dalia

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2016
France
Good evening, its two cities were buried by the vesuve in 79 after jesus christ they are the witnesses of the daily life that we can relive by crossing the streets and the people who lived there formerly.

I will show you the reconstitution of this woman who died in Herculaneum (in 79 she had taken refuge in the boat shelter she died under a heat between 400 and 500 ° C, Voiçi Bella Donna

pompeii-bella-don...-victim.-4ba063d.jpg

Visitors watch the casts of the bodies of the victims of the eruption of Pompeii, on the archaeological site under renovation, August 5, 2015
The archaeological site of Pompeii, buried in 79 AD and become one of the most precious testimonies of the past in the world, is preparing to be reborn for the second time, a challenge for Italy and archaeologists.

"I have never seen such dynamism. Thousands of people are working now, we have 35 projects under way," explains the superintendent in charge of Pompeii Massimo Osanna, enthusiastically, during an interview in The AFP.

This training archaeologist was appointed two years ago, in full controversy over the maintenance conditions of the immense site where landslides, collapses, small larcenies and vast mafia plunder.
It now manages an envelope of 130 million euros, including 96 million European funds, for the conservation and renovation of Pompeii.

This "Great Project" Pompeii has the support of the government: "we will have the resources, we will continue to work", he assures, while Unesco, which had a long time threatened to withdraw Pompeii from its heritage list World of humanity due to the dilapidated state of the site, recognized in March a real change of course.

The ancient Roman city, frozen in time by the ashes of Mount Vesuvius on August 24, 79, is the second tourist site of the country behind the Coliseum in Rome, with 2.7 million visitors in 2014.

It has become a metaphor for Italy: beautiful because of its immense artistic heritage, but impossible as it is difficult to maintain and enhance this heritage.
- 'The wind has turned' -

"The wind has turned in Pompeii and the results are there," said Italian Culture Minister Dario Franceschini this week at the inauguration of the "Grand Gymnasium" after seven years of restoration, where young citizens Of the city came to do sport before the volcanic eruption.

POMPEII

The origins of Pompeii are as ancient as those of Rome. The Pompeians were descended from one of the first Italic peoples: the Oschi.

Towards the middle of the seventh century BC, probably the first settlements, perhaps a small hamlet around a communication node at the crossroads of three important roads, between Cumae, Nola and Stabia.
Pompeii, a compulsory passage between the north and the south, quickly became a prey for the powerful neighboring states.
The first certain traces of a settlement date back to the 6th century BC.

It was first conquered by the Greek colony of Cumae between 525 and 474 BC.

Pompei-europe.jpg

Strabo relates that Pompeii was conquered by the Etruscans. Information, which in light of recent excavations is becoming more and more credible. Indeed, in the area of the temple of Apollo and near the Thermal Stabiane have been found many fragments of "bucchero", some even with Etruscan engraved inscriptions. In addition, still in the Thermes area, a necropolis of the 6th century was discovered.

Towards the middle of the fifth century BC, the Etruscans lose a naval battle in the waters against Cumae against the Cumans allied with the Syracusans, Pompeii then passes under Greek hegemony.
It is probably from this period that the enclosure dates with its tufa walls which surrounded more than sixty hectares, even if the city itself did not exceed ten hectares ...

In the 4th century, Pompeii was involved in the Sannite Wars, at the end of which Rome remained the undisputed mistress of all Campania, and the city retained a linguistic and institutional autonomy.

It was in the 4th century that the first regular urban plan of the city, which received about -300 new fortifications.

pompei4.jpg

During the Second Punic War Pompeii remained faithful to Rome, unlike many other Campanian cities. In this way it was able to maintain its partial independence by joining forces with the victor.

In the 2nd century BC, the intensive cultivation of the land and the export of wine and oil enriched the city, whose standard of living became very high. To realize this, it is enough to note the wealth of some houses and their luxurious furnishings. The Casa del Fauno, for example, rivals in size (almost 3000 m²) with the most famous Greek royal residences.

At the outbreak of the Social War (91 BC) Pompeii was against Rome and allied with all the other towns of Campania in an attempt to obtain full Roman citizenship. But it was impossible to resist the military superiority of Rome: in 89 BC Sylla forced Stabia to capitulate, and turned to Pompeii, who attempted a valiant defense by strengthening the enclosure and with the aid of the Celts commanded by Clutentius. This attempt of resistance proved vain and the city fell quickly.
pompei.jpg

In 80 BC, Pompeii entered completely into the orbit of Rome and Sylla, which transferred a colony of veterans to it, calling it the Colony Cornelia Veneria Pompeianorum. The allocation of land to the veterans certainly occurred to the disadvantage of those who had been most bitterly opposed to Sylla. Political and military events, however, had little effect on the well-being and commerce of the Pompeians, who depended chiefly on the exportation of Campanian wines, often cultivated on remote lands.

For its climate and the facetiousness of the landscape, the city and its surroundings even constituted a pleasant place of holiday for some rich Romans, including Cicero who owned a house there. Unfortunately the sources are rather avaricious concerning the life of the Pompeians during the first imperial age. Only Tacitus recalls as a sensational fact the brawl between Nucerians and Pompeians which took place in 59 AD in the amphitheater of Pompeii, which urged Nero to prohibit for ten years any spectacle of gladiators.

In 62 AD the city was shaken by an earthquake: at the time of the eruption of AD 79 many buildings were still being reconstructed.

pompei7.jpg

Pompeii (Pompeii in Latin), was a city of Campania in Italy located 25 km from Naples at the foot of Mount Vesuvius. Founded in the 6th century BC. In the year 79, it had about 20,000 inhabitants. That year, it was completely buried with Herculanum and Stabies, during a volcanic eruption of the volcano. The city, populated by merchants and artisans, was very flourishing.

pompei_fresco.jpg

Forgotten for 1,600 years, it was rediscovered by chance to become today one of the jewels of archeology and an extraordinary testimony of the Roman Empire.
pompei3.jpg

Merci, my pleasure:)

History of Thermal Baths
The thermal baths were originally a Greek idea, but the Romans greatly improved it. According to the archaeological discoveries, the first baths installations date from 2000 BC. BC, but the practice of bathing is attested at the end of the 5th century BC. J.-C. in Greece.
The first baths are private. Public baths only appeared in the first century BC Individuals offered hot and cold baths and sometimes massages. It was not until 25 BC. To see the real baths appear on the order of Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa, a friend of the Emperor Augustus who was his son-in-law. The latter came to be cured by immersions in cold baths recommended by the Marseilles physician Antonus Musa, the cold baths are added to the warm and warm rooms and the baths are spread throughout the Empire. Even the modest towns possessed it. The construction of the thermal baths was the responsibility of the emperor or his representatives, so the running costs of the thermal baths were assured by the public finances. The Eivertes were wealthy financiers. In Rome, it was the emperor who financed most of these monuments.
The Romans went to the baths for body hygiene and complete body care, but this place also had an important social function. The thermal baths were an integral part of Roman urban life; You would wash yourself, but you would also meet friends, play sports, play dice, cultivate in libraries, treat business or restore yourself.
For the Romans, bathing was both a luxury and a necessity. All went there, without distinction of social class. They were open to men and women but in different parts or at different times.
Only the well-to-do villas had private baths and toilets. Public baths (baths) therefore played an important role in general hygiene. They belonged to the State or to private persons. The entrance fee was moderate. Often, the wealthy bourgeoisie built luxurious baths to make themselves available to the public (practice of evegetism). The entrance fee was normally free, but there are cases where the entrance fee is payable. At the end of the Roman Empire, the baths became mixed.
Architectural Principle of Thermal Baths

The thermal baths of the North in Nice: the palestra and the east wall of the frigidarium

Frigidarium of the thermal baths of the villa of Casale, 4th century, Sicily

The vault of the caldarium of the thermal baths of Constantine in Arles.

The basic principle of private baths, which was then adapted to the template required for opening to a large public, comprises five main rooms:

Apodyterium (plur .: apodyteria) (cloakrooms);
The southatorium (sweat rooms);
The caldarium (hot bath by sprinkling or immersion [2]);
Tepidarium (warm bath);
The frigidarium (cold bath).

The floor was covered with mosaics and heated by a floor heating system and reservoirs: the hypocaust, fueled by an adjoining fireplace, the praefurnium. The flue gases are evacuated by ducts located in the thickness of the walls (the tubuli), which heat them at the same time. The water supply was provided by the aqueducts. For urgent needs, one could go to the latrines.
The baths often completed this equipment with a palestra for physical exercise and a swimming pool (natatio, piscinam). The great baths of the Imperial period constituted vast complexes of leisure, with gardens, auditoriums, libraries.
The thermal baths were not mixed, with very few exceptions. Some facilities were doubled, with a separate area reserved for women. Others practiced alternate schedules for each sex. The morning was more readily reserved for women, while men took advantage of it all afternoon and even in the evening
After their morning work, the Romans commonly went to the thermal baths to relax and followed a "path" of progressive heating and then cooling. First, they would put their clothes in the locker rooms (apodyterium or spoliatorium), guarded by slaves, then they would warm up by playing sports at the gym to perspire (ball games, running, weightlifting), and Those who did not like physical exertion went into the tepidarium, warm room, then into a more heated room, laconicum (drying oven) or sudatorium (wet oven) to sweat
They then went to the hot baths, scraped the skin with a tool called the strigile, a kind of iron scraper curved and then they penetrated into the oven. The bath of cleanliness was then finished.
In the caldarium they would rest and then pass to the warm baths, to the cold baths, and finally they were going to be massaged, to depilate or to perfume ... Generally, they covered the body of oil in the destrictarium Used the soap, though known to the Gauls). The oils and perfumes were preserved in a unctuarium

Roman baths of the ancient city of Corinth, Greece

Libraries, rest or conversation rooms, gardens, gymnasiums and walks were part of the "complex" of the thermal baths and offered the possibility of prolonging this pleasant moment of relaxation for the body and the mind. This is undoubtedly the result of the expression "a healthy mind in a healthy body" (in Latin: "mens sana in corpore sano"), a formula present in the work of Juvenal. One could also listen to speakers [6].
Directions [edit]
The oldest is retrograde: the bather passes through the same rooms on the way back and forth.
It was then sought a way not to go back through the same rooms and do that the bathers do not intersect, this with circular routes for large thermal baths and semicircular for smaller buildings.
Under Nero these are symmetrical baths with two circular and symmetrical itineraries that are built
Thermal baths of the Roman world

Scène de bain romaine

Article détaillé : Liste des thermes romains.

View attachment 113083

Have you been to Pompeii?

If not it is well worth seeing. I also recommend ***Florence***, Rome, Argrigento, Pisa, and many other places.

*****SMILE*****

:)

I have been to Rome but never to Pompeii, I'd love to go someday.

Roman history is one of my favorites. Love everything about it......daily life, food decoration. clothes .....everything!:thup:

View attachment 113083

If not it is well worth seeing. I also recommend ***Florence***, Rome, Argrigento, Pisa, and many other places.

*****SMILE*****

Roman history is one of my favorites. Love everything about it......daily life, food decoration. clothes .....everything!:thup:

images

I spent a few years in Italy on and off a couple of decades ago.

Gaeta and Formia are (were?) nice places if you're looking to get away and relax.

*****SMILE*****

View attachment 113083

*****SMILE*****

images

I spent a few years in Italy on and off a couple of decades ago.

*****SMILE*****

Sounds great! were you in Rome?

I have been to many archeological sites over the years but none have impressed me as much as Pompeii. The sheer size of it is truly astonishing. You could spend a week there and not see everything.

At Pompeii there were at least forty bakeries.

pompeii-bakery.jpg

They often owned their own grain mills operated most frequently by donkeys. These mills were rather coarse; the flour was then to be screened. It was mixed with leaven. Then water and salt were added. This mass was kneaded by a kneader: it was a cylinder of stone in which a vertical wooden shaft was rotated with fins. Finally, the shaped bread was brought in a wood-heated oven with a large-handle tray.
117Pistrinum_grande.jpg

Reviving a Child from Ancient Pompeii (Artistic Reconstruction)

A forensic reconstruction of the plaster cast of a child killed by the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in Pompeii, Italy, in 79AD.

Apparently the casts, created at the time by the super heated volcanic pyroclastic flow, are empty inside and even the bones have been reduced to dust.

Apparently the casts, created at the time by the super heated volcanic pyroclastic flow, are empty inside and even the bones have been reduced to dust.

7866294.jpg

Excavations - The Eruption of Mt Vesuvius

Amedeo Maiuri,

Senza%20titolo-8.jpg

who was the superintendent of Pompeii at the time of the discovery in 1961, was an archaeologist who liked to imagine stories that fit the nature of his discoveries. At least this was true of some of his discoveries at Pompeii. No sooner had the thirteen bodies been created at Pompeii than Maiuri concocted a story based on very little fact which he related in the November 1961 edition of National Geographic ("Last Moments of the Pompeians").

Pompeii Plaster Casts @ Mummy Tombs

Last edited:
Here this Italian Chef explains how Roman ancient bread was prepared. He follows the recipes religiously ..it's so interesting... :)

The same bread was found in Pompeii.

Bonsoir, thank you skye for the vidéo :)

I show you a link with a bakery
VII.2.22 Pompeii. The Bakery of Popidius Priscus or the Pistrinum of Vicolo Storto.
Excavated 1834, 1844 and 1865.

and it's a very well document , enjoy!

Link ; 70222

All these corpses frozen in time as shells with teeth in them is gruesome.

Even more scary is that Mother Nature can do this to us again anytime She wants to.

Shark and mammalian teeth are the only things that we create ourselves which does not naturally decay. Everything else dissolves or turns to dust.

Here this Italian Chef explains how Roman ancient bread was prepared. He follows the recipes religiously ..it's so interesting... :)

The same bread was found in Pompeii.

Unfortunately it does not have English subtitles.

I have made bread at home and it is not hard to do.

You start with bakers' yeast, which is like brown sand, and you mix a tablespoon of it with a pint of warm water and some sugar. It will start bubbling and foaming after half an hour or so, and that's when you can mix it with flour and more water. The ancients did not have sugar so they must have used diluted honey instead.

I like to add green olives to my bread mix to make olive bread.

100 Percent Whole Wheat Bread Recipe

Forum List

Back