Poll: Well-off say tax the rich

We aren't talking about the disabled, okay? Never were.

I was. They illustrate the folly of pretending that everyone is equal. On the other end, Bill Gates could not have done what he did without access to his father's wealth as start-up capital. All people are not equal, either in their starting conditions or in their circumstances, and should not be treated as such except in certain specific and narrowly-defined categories, such as equal treatment before the law (which is also not actually done in our society, by the way).

Show me anything that even talks about responsiblities and obligations.
Taxes. The subject of this thread. That's an obligation and responsibility.

A rich person and a poor person are not equal by choice....for the most part, yes, some will fall between the cracks. But it certainly isn't because of them being not having their opportunity....its by their choice. That is what you fail to recognize. Sounds more like sour grapes on your behalf.
I think you're exaggerating the degree to which people actually have that choice, but it doesn't really matter. Whether it's by their choice or not, the fact remains that rich people and non-rich people are not equal, and to treat them as if they were results in injustice.
The Constitution and my grandma said they are.

Warren Buffett says he agree's rich don't pay enough taxes, thing about warren if he would pay the taxes he owes maybe he wouldn't agree that rich don't pay enough taxes.
One Billion dollars in back taxes is a lot of money.

Warren Buffett says he agree's rich don't pay enough taxes, thing about warren if he would pay the taxes he owes maybe he wouldn't agree that rich don't pay enough taxes.
One Billion dollars in back taxes is a lot of money.

What?

Yes, there is something wrong with making him pay a higher percentage than you: it's pure robbery.

Taxes are never robbery. They are an obligation on the part of all citizens to support the common well-being.

Buying a jet wit your own money isn't a privilege. It's a right.

A right is something everyone can do. A privilege is something only a select few can do. It's a privilege.

Only an utterly servile mentality would imagine the government has the authority to tell you what you can spend your money on.

Well, in fact the government does have some limited authority to do that, but of course that's not what I was talking about. If you actually want to think and discuss things as opposed to making verbal obscene gestures as is your wont, you might care to re-read things so as to get a better understanding.

I won't hold my breath, though.

Yes, there is something wrong with making him pay a higher percentage than you: it's pure robbery.

Taxes are never robbery. They are an obligation on the part of all citizens to support the common well-being.

Buying a jet wit your own money isn't a privilege. It's a right.

A right is something everyone can do. A privilege is something only a select few can do. It's a privilege.

Only an utterly servile mentality would imagine the government has the authority to tell you what you can spend your money on.

Well, in fact the government does have some limited authority to do that, but of course that's not what I was talking about. If you actually want to think and discuss things as opposed to making verbal obscene gestures as is your wont, you might care to re-read things so as to get a better understanding.

I won't hold my breath, though.

Taxes are a legal form of robbery, sorry to bust your bubble

Setting aside legality, the government cannot rob the people at gunpoint. What happens to a government that doesn't have the support of the people, no matter how many guns it has, can be seen in the recent overthrow of Middle Eastern dictatorships and, earlier, in the fall of the Soviet Union. Guns have to be wielded by soldiers, who are part of the people, and when the people turn against the government it can't count on the soldiers, which means it is likely to lose the guns.

What is happening with taxes is that the people have, through their representatives, decided on a share of the nation's wealth to dedicate to the expenses of public service and how the payment of that share is to be apportioned among the people. It's one thing to disagree with how much spending the government does, or exactly what the money is spent on, or how the tax burden is apportioned. That's all legitimate.

But it's something else again to object to the idea of taxation in itself. Anyone doing that is calling for anarchy. Taxation is not theft and it is not robbery, and to call it that is to object to the very existence of government. Unless you are prepared to be consistent and call yourself an anarchist, you should not go there.

Setting aside legality, the government cannot rob the people at gunpoint. What happens to a government that doesn't have the support of the people, no matter how many guns it has, can be seen in the recent overthrow of Middle Eastern dictatorships and, earlier, in the fall of the Soviet Union. Guns have to be wielded by soldiers, who are part of the people, and when the people turn against the government it can't count on the soldiers, which means it is likely to lose the guns.

What is happening with taxes is that the people have, through their representatives, decided on a share of the nation's wealth to dedicate to the expenses of public service and how the payment of that share is to be apportioned among the people. It's one thing to disagree with how much spending the government does, or exactly what the money is spent on, or how the tax burden is apportioned. That's all legitimate.

But it's something else again to object to the idea of taxation in itself. Anyone doing that is calling for anarchy. Taxation is not theft and it is not robbery, and to call it that is to object to the very existence of government. Unless you are prepared to be consistent and call yourself an anarchist, you should not go there.

To take without the consent of someone is robbery, and to use a tax as a legitimate authorization is a legal form of thievery, and to raise a tax without the consent is by force and by using the law is using guns to take it.

To take without the consent of someone is robbery, and to use a tax as a legitimate authorization is a legal form of thievery, and to raise a tax without the consent is by force and by using the law is using guns to take it.

Are you an anarchist, then? Do you disagree with the idea of collective consent, so that each individual must consent to be taxed? That's a recipe for dissolving the government.

Is that what you want? If so, be honest about it. If not, reconsider.

Forum List

Back