POLL: Open the economy up and go back to work - Stay home and shutdown

Do you support reopening many US businesses 4/13/20, or prefer keeping the US shutdown longer

• Yes, Re-open the US economy such as small businesses to keep them from going bankrupt

Votes: 92 69.2%
  • No, do not open up small or big US businesses, COVID-19 is too dangerous to rush opening

Votes: 41 30.8%

• Total voters
I just cannot believe that the vast majority of the people who voted on this thread wanted the economy to open up again. Mankind will be wiped out because of stupidity.

We are now "woke" to these fucking viruses and knowing how to mitigate the risks and with the new fast tests frequent testing should allow us to work safely. The old and compromised need to stay safe. The economy needs to crank back up so that we can keep it healthy.

I just cannot believe that the vast majority of the people who voted on this thread wanted the economy to open up again. Mankind will be wiped out because of stupidity.
This has been the rampant emotion over reasoning and fact that has been in place since Trump won.
Maybe all the baloney from Stormy thru the failed impeachment was a test to see how much slop Americans would slurp up and fall in line about

I'm seeing a lot of discussion but can't figure out who has the majority.

To re-open the US economy in a limited fashion around Easter Monday (4/13/20) with masks, social distancing, no sports venues, no cruises, or major crowds, just minimal re-opening businesses. The object is to keep as many companies in-business as possible.

Or, keep the economy and businesses shutdown until the coronavirus (COVID-19) is under control as recommended by the doctors, even if that means that many businesses would NOT re-open due to the lost revenue and bankruptcy.

We can not let this thing beat us...The economy needs to get going again with the understanding that people must pay attention to their surroundings, and practice good hygine...

The only way to beat this thing, they way it has been proven to be defeated, is through extreme lockdown and testing. Lockdown and Testing are the two pillars. Until the PATHOGEN is defeated, non-essential business is irrelevant. This is a national crises and sacrifices must be made to defeat the enemy.

We won't have a country left if we allow the economy to cease to exist....

non-essential business does not = U.S. Economy

Think World War II. How many non-essential business's continued after December 7, 1941 and how vital were they to the overall economy?

Why don't you tell me Edge? 1941 is NOT 2020

Its a different year, but that's where the differences end as far as what the government and country can and must do to fight this new ENEMY!

I just love how you carp about what is being done from your arm chair, knowing that you don't have to make these decisions...

This has been the rampant emotion over reasoning and fact that has been in place since Trump won.
Maybe all the baloney from Stormy thru the failed impeachment was a test to see how much slop Americans would slurp up and fall in line about
He was impeached.

We are now "woke" to these fucking viruses and knowing how to mitigate the risks and with the new fast tests frequent testing should allow us to work safely. The old and compromised need to stay safe. The economy needs to crank back up so that we can keep it healthy.
Wrong!!!

Wrong!!!
Prove it!!

You saying there is a vaccine?

it appears so....

Annual deaths from influenza are 20-60k. It would take 20 years to get to 1.7 million deaths.

As you can see, your claim that COVID isn’t going to kill as many as influenza is unsupported.
so why incite the public into a panic, and literally stop the productive worker ant(s) from producing?
~S~

I think that is all Trump was trying to do, not scare the pants off people so that they refuse to go to work even though its relatively safe.

Cuomo had an upbeat presser today.
1. More people leaving the hospital each of the last 8-days.
2. Fewer people entering the hospitals the last few days. (a trend or a blip? we'll know next week)

Not to jinx us, but it looks from the last few days that the US curve is bending downward to a peak, like the EU appears to be doing. We'll know that in the next week or two.
View attachment 316848

I would say information like this is why the lockdowns must continue. We might, just might be starting to make some headway against this thing. Here is some other good information to report.

The percentage rate of increase in confirmed cases per day has been declining for a few days now:

March 24, 2020 - United States - 54,916
March 25, 2020 - United States - 68,489 - 24.7% increase
March 26, 2020 - United States - 85,594 - 24.97% increase
March 27, 2020 - United States - 104,256 - 21.8% increase
March 28, 2020 - United States - 123,776 - 18.7% increase
March 29, 2020 - United States - 142,224 - 14.9% increase

the trend seems to be going the right way. Trump's new date of 4/30 is looking possible.

And you're cool with that? What happened to "we must lift restrictions now!" ? Your lord and master changed his tune and you just dance merrily along?

He never said NOW, he said as soon as its safe. and yes, I am cool with it. We all hoped Easter was doable, but it appears that its not.

what did your lord and master Wolf Blitzer say about it? or was it your lordess and mistress Pelosi?

But just yesterday you said this virus was nothing compared to the seasonal flu and that we should just let old folks die so the economy can get going again. "Survival of the fittest" I believe you said. What changed your mind, drone?

I never said it was nothing, I said the annual flu kills more people EVERY year and we never shut down the country because of it. I never said that we should let old people die.

You must be related to Acosta on CNN because like him you never quote anyone accurately. What I said several times is that many of the deaths attributed to corona were probably caused by some underlying condition. If a person dies WITH corona rather than DUE TO corona, that person is still counted as a corona death, so the mortality stats are not accurate.

but I fully understand your issue, you hate Trump and will lie and cheat if you think it might hurt his chances in November, but it won't. The old senile pervert Biden has zero chance, even the DNC power brokers know that and are scrambling to find someone else.

You saying there is a vaccine?

it appears so....

Annual deaths from influenza are 20-60k. It would take 20 years to get to 1.7 million deaths.

As you can see, your claim that COVID isn’t going to kill as many as influenza is unsupported.
so why incite the public into a panic, and literally stop the productive worker ant(s) from producing?
~S~

I think that is all Trump was trying to do, not scare the pants off people so that they refuse to go to work even though its relatively safe.

Cuomo had an upbeat presser today.
1. More people leaving the hospital each of the last 8-days.
2. Fewer people entering the hospitals the last few days. (a trend or a blip? we'll know next week)

Not to jinx us, but it looks from the last few days that the US curve is bending downward to a peak, like the EU appears to be doing. We'll know that in the next week or two.
View attachment 316848

I would say information like this is why the lockdowns must continue. We might, just might be starting to make some headway against this thing. Here is some other good information to report.

The percentage rate of increase in confirmed cases per day has been declining for a few days now:

March 24, 2020 - United States - 54,916
March 25, 2020 - United States - 68,489 - 24.7% increase
March 26, 2020 - United States - 85,594 - 24.97% increase
March 27, 2020 - United States - 104,256 - 21.8% increase
March 28, 2020 - United States - 123,776 - 18.7% increase
March 29, 2020 - United States - 142,224 - 14.9% increase

the trend seems to be going the right way. Trump's new date of 4/30 is looking possible.

June 30, 2020 is more realistic. You can't take any chances with this. Its so easy to transmit among people. A choir met for practice in Washington State on March 10, 2020. 60 people came in. They had hand sanitizer, no handshakes or hugs and practice social distancing keeping several feet between each person. No one who came were showing any symptoms.

45 out of the 60 choir members were infected with coronavirus. Of those 5 were hospitalized and two died.

This shows that despite hand cleaning and social distancing, just a couple of people not showing symptoms can infect a large group of people in a building.

No one should be allowed to go back to work at a non-essential service until they have tested NEGATIVE for coronavirus. Thanks to Trump, we don't have the capability to do that yet.

you had a good post going until you added the political bullshit. thanks to Trump and his team, we have more testing capacity than any other country in the world and we are doing more testing than any country in the world.

STFU with the politics and we can beat this thing.

Please stop lying about the testing. You are FOS

No I am not. We have tested more people than any other country and we DO now have tests that give the result in 5-15 minutes. Yes, we are only testing people who have symptoms. Why would you waste a test on someone who is completely healthy?

No its not. the curve is flattening,
WTF?

Pure bullshit

Do you just lie for the hell of it?

look at the CDC stats. turn off CNN, they are filling your little head with BS.
That's bullshit. If you have a link post it

Otherwise stop lying

From the article:
A recent CDC projection estimated that the U.S. coronavirus epidemic could infect between 160 million and 214 million people over a period of more than a year — and kill anywhere from 200,000 to 1.7 million people in the country.

So much for your claim that the worst case scenario isn’t worse than influenza.

you missed "in more than a year" compare that to 2 years of flu deaths. Those projections are not recent, they are several weeks old and the current ones are significantly lower.

I am not saying we should ignore it, just that the panic is unnecessary.

Stats for the USA as of yesterday. From the CDC

142,000 cases of Corona virus
2500 deaths
4800 recoveries

mortality rate 1.75%

18,000,000 flu like illnesses
24.000 deaths
.13% mortality rate

So which one has the biggest impact on Americans and our medical system?
I’m not going to let you crawfish away from this.

You said the CDC’s worst projections indicated this would be less severe than the influenza. Your own link proves you wrong.

If COVID ends tomorrow, then it’ll clearly have a much smaller impact on Americans than influenza. But that’s unfortunately not going to happen.

that link gave old projections, that have been proven incorrect. The current stats that I posted earlier today give a much more accurate projection.

If you can do basic math, run the numbers for corona and flu out for two more months and see what you get------------then report back and admit that you were wrong.

BTW, the crawfish season is doing quite well in spite of all the restaurants being closed. Take out is booming

Projections yesterday were for 100-200k deaths, by Fauci and the president himself. That’s higher than any recent year’s tally of deaths from influenza by a factor of 2 to 10.

The statistics you just gave were not projections at all but current tallies. Go ahead and provide an updated projection if you think you’re still correct.

They both said that those were worst case projections that Fauci and Brix emphasized were not expected because of what we are doing to reduce the infection rate.

but you are free to panic if it makes you feel good.

No, that is NOT what either Fauci, Birx OR Donald said. 100-200k is the BEST case scenario assuming we do everything PERFECTLY from here on out.

The worst is 1-2 MILLION.

Sure would be nice if Donnie hadn't dithered for over two months y'think?

so lets see here, we are at 2500 deaths as of yesterday, and you are saying that in the next 4 weeks 97,000-197,000 are going to die of the virus? Is that your claim? Just trying to understand your numbers.

I said the annual flu kills more people EVERY year and we never shut down the country because of it
This statement continues to be very problematic. It’s very short sighted and ignores a lot of information.

He was impeached.

Wrong, he was acquitted of false charges. Acquitted forever. Pelosi lost another one.

Wrong!!!
Prove it!!

Wrong!!!
Prove it!!
The experts are saying we need physical distancing.

He was impeached.

Wrong, he was acquitted of false charges. Acquitted forever. Pelosi lost another one.
No, he was impeached.

I said the annual flu kills more people EVERY year and we never shut down the country because of it
This statement continues to be very problematic. It’s very short sighted and ignores a lot of information.

It happens to be true. Sure, at the moment the corona virus is scary because we don't have fully vetted treatments and vaccines, but it terms of dead americans it is minor compared to flu, heart disease, lung disease, abortion, suicide, gang violence, car accidents, and cancer.

He was impeached.

No, he was impeached.

in a partisan vote in the house, the trial takes place in the senate and it resulted in an acquittal. Pencil neck and Toad boy made fools of themselves and lied to the american people. Its over, you lost. move on.

Wrong!!!
Prove it!!

Wrong!!!
Prove it!!
The experts are saying we need physical distancing.

yes, and there is no reason why that cannot continue with a reasonable restart of the economy.

at the moment

Theres your problem. This is short sighted. You shouldn’t think about this very moment. You should be considering what happens next.

the malaria drug and the Z pac seem to be working, other drugs have shown good results in Europe and in china they claim cures from large doses of vitamin C. Medicine will get a handle on this thing very soon. Your pessimism and that of some of the media is doing nothing but stirring up panic.

at the moment

Theres your problem. This is short sighted. You shouldn’t think about this very moment. You should be considering what happens next.
So you have a crystal ball that can predict the future? No one knows what happens next. In China and Europe the rate of new infections is dropping, why is that not our future too?

Thank god we have people who do work to predict the future so that we don’t have to suffer the consequences of inaction.

Forum List

Back