Political Songs

yep. seen it & it sure gave me the warm & fuzzies ... not to mention a lot of patriotism. but lest ye may not know - our national anthem was taken from an old english drinking song.

The Star-Spangled Banner​

From Drinking Song to American Anthem :cheers2:

Ironically, the melody Key assigned to accompany the lyrics of “The Star-Spangled Banner” was a popular English drinking song called “To Anacreon in Heaven.”
Written around 1775 by John Stafford Smith, the song honored the ancient Greek poet Anacreon, a lover of wine. It was originally performed at a London gentleman’s music club called the Anacreontic Society.
The Anacreontic Song, as it was known, had a track record of popularity in the United States by 1814. In one famous case, defenders of the embattled second president, John Adams, used the tune for a song called “Adams and Liberty.”
Key himself had even used the tune before, as accompaniment for verses he wrote in 1805 commemorating American naval victories in the Barbary War.

Sources​

The Star-Spangled Banner, Smithsonian.
“Star-Spangled Banner” writer had complex history on race, The Baltimore Sun.
“How the national anthem—and subverting it—became a national tradition,” The Washington Post.
“How the National Anthem Has Unfurled,” The New York Times.
“The Song Remains the Same,” ESPN the Magazine.

Citation Information​

Article Title​

The Star-Spangled Banner

Author​

History.com Editors

Website Name​

HISTORY

URL​

The Star-Spangled Banner

.​

Thank you for the very interesting history of this song and the people involved.
When I first watched the video I posted I got tears and chill bumps.

I was lost when the green haired one came up,lol. I could handle some of the hippies, they were funny at times, but the far left is too " far Out"man,lol.

this might suit ya.........

a cover going with a whole differant genre - but the message sure is the same.

Woody Guthrie wrote a lot of good songs (he wrote This Land is Your Land) and most had a political message, including themes of belonging and exclusion, hard times and wandering and a biting criticism of the elites of his time and fascism. Not everyone’s cup of tea I’m sure.

Deporte was written about the 1948 plane crash at Los Gatos. Everyone was killed. In the news coverage, only the pilot, co-pilot and stewardess were listed by name. The rest were nameless, “deportees” and were buried in a mass grave with a marker saying only “Mexican Nationals”. In 2009 one person sought to identify each one and by 2013 all were identified and a new memorial raised with all their names.

New Topics

Forum List

Back