Political Songs

I do like some of todays music just not much or in low doses.:D

most of today's music is anemic in my opinion - auto tune & a team of writers that back up so called 'artists' is what passes for music now. it's almost non existent for bands that play real instruments, much less even write their own songs.

most of today's music is anemic in my opinion - auto tune & a team of writers that back up so called 'artists' is what passes for music now. it's almost non existent for bands that play real instruments, much less even write their own songs.
It is so digitized that there often isn’t much talent in what is popular.

Woody Guthrie wrote a lot of good songs (he wrote This Land is Your Land) and most had a political message, including themes of belonging and exclusion, hard times and wandering and a biting criticism of the elites of his time and fascism. Not everyone’s cup of tea I’m sure.

Tulsa landmark home to Woody Guthrie's rants against his landlord: President Trump's father

Editor's note: This column by Tulsa World editorial writer Ginnie Graham was first published in 2016. Other news outlets have talked about the connection of Woody Guthrie to the Trump family with the president's rally in Tulsa. Tulsa's Woody Guthrie Center houses all of the folk singer's archives is just blocks from the location of the rally.

Old Man Trump made quite an impression on Woody Guthrie, who was writing about his former landlord two years after he moved out of the Beach Haven housing project for veterans in Brooklyn, New York.

Oklahoma’s native son wasn’t kind. In fact, the acerbic words take a pretty nice bite into real estate mogul Fred Trump — the late father of Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump.
Since May, the Woody Guthrie Center, 102 E. M.B. Brady St., has had on exhibit three original writings related to the legendary folk singer’s thoughts on the elder Trump.

57a27c61d1604-image.jpg

Tulsa landmark home to Woody Guthrie's rants against his landlord: President Trump's father

Woody Guthrie wrote a lot of good songs (he wrote This Land is Your Land) and most had a political message, including themes of belonging and exclusion, hard times and wandering and a biting criticism of the elites of his time and fascism. Not everyone’s cup of tea I’m sure.

Deporte was written about the 1948 plane crash at Los Gatos. Everyone was killed. In the news coverage, only the pilot, co-pilot and stewardess were listed by name. The rest were nameless, “deportees” and were buried in a mass grave with a marker saying only “Mexican Nationals”. In 2009 one person sought to identify each one and by 2013 all were identified and a new memorial raised with all their names.

Coyote, just when I was starting to enjoy your company,lol, I'm against illegals in any shape or form or place of origin including Europe.We don't
have resources to take in more legal or illegal's.

I like Latin dance and some songs, I also like pizza ans Chinses food and care about all people, but my allegiance is for my culture, language and nation.

Coyote, just when I was starting to enjoy your company,lol, I'm against illegals in any shape or form or place of origin including Europe.We don't
have resources to take in more legal or illegal's.

I like Latin dance and some songs, I also like pizza ans Chinses food and care about all people, but my allegiance is for my culture, language and nation.

Well…not going to ruin this with politics, but you don’t have to be for or against illegals to respect basic human dignity and that is what I get out of this song. :)

I love pizza …just sayin’….here is a diversion ;)

Well…not going to ruin this with politics, but you don’t have to be for or against illegals to respect basic human dignity and that is what I get out of this song. :)

I love pizza …just sayin’….here is a diversion ;)

1656879331735.png

Editor's note: This column by Tulsa World editorial writer Ginnie Graham was first published in 2016. Other news outlets have talked about the connection of Woody Guthrie to the Trump family with the president's rally in Tulsa. Tulsa's Woody Guthrie Center houses all of the folk singer's archives is just blocks from the location of the rally.

Old Man Trump made quite an impression on Woody Guthrie, who was writing about his former landlord two years after he moved out of the Beach Haven housing project for veterans in Brooklyn, New York.

Oklahoma’s native son wasn’t kind. In fact, the acerbic words take a pretty nice bite into real estate mogul Fred Trump — the late father of Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump.
Since May, the Woody Guthrie Center, 102 E. M.B. Brady St., has had on exhibit three original writings related to the legendary folk singer’s thoughts on the elder Trump.

57a27c61d1604-image.jpg

Maybe Guthries father was living above his means. I have had to downgrade myself over the years especially when raising my kids. Lived in low income hoods with some questionable neighbor's but I worked myself out. Time!

Maybe Guthries father was living above his means.

maybe not.

I have had to downgrade myself over the years especially when raising my kids. Lived in low income hoods with some questionable neighbor's

sounds like they had to as well. how 'bout that?

but I worked myself out.

many people do.

you do know that donny & fred were sued by the gov;ment for housing discrimination, don't you?

Learn some history before you speak. More to it than what your liberal history teachers teach.

oh i see, so native americans weren't here b4 the vikings, chris columbus, or eastern europeans.

my bad.

maybe not.

sounds like they had to as well. how 'bout that?

many people do.

you do know that donny & fred were sued by the gov;ment for housing discrimination, don't you?

You do know that ghettos form when people didn't protect their communities, didn't you?
I'm probably older than you and have seen it happen far too often. I lived in a bad place because of a bad choice I made but I wised up and worked my way out.

Poverty will either kill you or make you stronger. It made me stronger and a strong desire to never be in it again. I was embarrassed to wear short sleeves because my arms were so muscular from assembly line work, cut off my pretty long hair. I could have shacked up with a man but I didn't think that was right,especially in front of my kids.
I agree today is much different but we're talking about the early 70s. I feel sorry for people who worked just to be put out of their homes and money doesn't go far.

You do know that ghettos form when people didn't protect their communities, didn't you?
I'm probably older than you and have seen it happen far too often. I lived in a bad place because of a bad choice I made but I wised up and worked my way out.

i'm 60 & have lived in a not so great place for more than 1/2 my life.

I'm not against anyone just know that we can't take in the whole third world,

nobody here has said that.

how many, IF ANY, do you have living in your home that your not sleeping with or benefitting from?

'scuse me?

Most who defend the third world invasions are benefitting or related.

' invasion'? wow wow wow.................. you sure shined a light on yerself.

anyhoo ... you don't believe in basic humanity? that's a world away than that diatribe you thought necessary to 'splain.

lol ... you're a trip.

now how old did you say you were?

oh i see, so native americans weren't here b4 the vikings, chris columbus, or eastern europeans.

my bad.

Who knows when they arrived or crossed the Eurasian Stepps, but we do know archeologist found proof they weren't the first?
So your saying lets let the whole third world come in?
Do you know that only 2% of the worlds water is fresh and 98% is salt? Do you also realize that our crop land is being depleted at least that is what libs and other oligarchs didn't sell to China, Cuba and others? Our water is being polluted and sold off so more humans is not survivable.
What nation do you know of that has no border and invites the whole world to come in?

Our water is being polluted and sold off so more humans is not survivable.

who is to blame for that?

What nation do you know of that has no border and invites the whole world to come in?

oh dear - i see you are gonna go down the rabbithole of hyperbole/talking points.

did you contribute to the wall fund set up by steve bannon who turned around & stole that money from donny's very own voters, & who was set to go to prison, until trump pardoned him?

Forum List

Back