Police State: Merkel Compared NSA To Stasi In Heated Encounter With Obama...

paulitician

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2011
German chancellor furious after revelations US intelligence agency listened in on her personal mobile phone

In an angry exchange with Barack Obama, Angela Merkel has compared the snooping practices of the US with those of the Stasi, the ubiquitous and all-powerful secret police of the communist dictatorship in East Germany, where she grew up.

The German chancellor also told the US president that America's National Security Agency cannot be trusted because of the volume of material it had allowed to leak to the whistleblower Edward Snowden, according to the New York Times.

Livid after learning from Der Spiegel magazine that the Americans were listening in to her personal mobile phone, Merkel confronted Obama with the accusation: "This is like the Stasi."

The newspaper also reported that Merkel was particularly angry that, based on the disclosures, "the NSA clearly couldn't be trusted with private information, because they let Snowden clean them out."

Snowden is to testify on the NSA scandal to a European parliament inquiry next month, to the anger of Washington which is pressuring the EU to stop the testimony.

In Brussels, the chairman of the US House select committee on intelligence, Mike Rogers, a Republican, said his views on the invitation to Snowden were "not fit to print" and that it was "not a great idea".

Inviting someone "who is wanted in the US and has jeopardised the lives of US soldiers" was beneath the dignity of the European parliament, he said.

He declined to comment on Merkel's alleged remarks to Obama. In comments to the Guardian, he referred to the exchange as "a conversation that may or may not have occurred".

Senior Brussels officials say the EU is struggling to come up with a coherent and effective response to the revelations of mass US and British surveillance of electronic communication in Europe, but that the disclosure that Merkel's mobile had been monitored was a decisive moment...

More:
Merkel compared NSA to Stasi in heated encounter with Obama | World news | The Guardian
DRUDGE REPORT 2014®

Last edited:
It isn't so much that the NSA can't be trusted, it's that we know for a FACT that dimocraps can not be trusted.

well, look who is talking.

as much as I am against NSA spying I would call this particular one to be the irony of the day.

Love how the US is becoming the red headed step child that REALLY needs beat down...I do think in my lifetime I will see the US invaded and destroyed by outside forces...its time...she has gotten to big for her britches...our government thinks it can do what it wants with impunity.

Love how the US is becoming the red headed step child that REALLY needs beat down...I do think in my lifetime I will see the US invaded and destroyed by outside forces...its time...she has gotten to big for her britches...our government thinks it can do what it wants with impunity.

I guess you plan on living 200 years or more :dunno:

I guess you plan on living 200 years or more :dunno:

Man I sure the hell hope not! I live to see 2060 I would be happy. That would make me 75/76 depending on what time of year I die. We have already seen terrorists attack the US...China is gonna be next I give it tops 15 years.

I'm not sure about that. I'm more inclined to say the U.S. is being, and could be destroyed by inside forces. The NWO Global Elitists now fully run the show here. Destroying our Freedom and Constitution is their number one goal. And they're clearly making quite a bit of progress. I guess we'll see if the People continue to go quietly. Time will tell.

Forum List

Back