Police arrest man for yelling bible passages at pride parade: Yelling on public property a crime for conservatives

One can make any law they wish. Enforcing them are another thing.

Laws are made by elected legislators. Police enforce laws made by legislature.

Anyone having a problem with the laws that police enforce should be speaking to their legislators, not blaming the police.

He will win if he decides to sue. The government does not get to decide for you where you get to protest.

So, cities requiring permits for demonstrations is against the constitution?

Is it wrong for the Govt to not allow people to block highways in a form of protest?

Laws are made by elected legislators. Police enforce laws made by legislature.

Anyone having a problem with the laws that police enforce should be speaking to their legislators, not blaming the police.

Nobody forced the cops to harass the guy.

So, cities requiring permits for demonstrations is against the constitution?

They can make you get a permit for something like a parade where you want to shut down a road. For a simple protest? No.

Locally we had a protest. It was believed to be a lot of people. The people did inform the police that it would happen but they did not ask for permission. The city took the action upon themselves to shut the road down for the protest.

It was peaceful.

No one has to get the governments permission to exercise their Constitutional right to protest.

Is it wrong for the Govt to not allow people to block highways in a form of protest?

That's more like asking if it's wrong to arrest people for breaking windows while protesting. It's not.

One can make any law they wish. Enforcing them are another thing. The courts have routinely ruled that even flipping off a police officer is protected free speech.
You as a Prog depend on the other side of those abused in rights not saying anything. There are Republican voters who see the authoritarians abuse them. They are not as loud in their responses. We are a police state in waiting.

You as a Prog depend on the other side of those abused in rights not saying anything. There are Republican voters who see the authoritarians abuse them. They are not as loud in their responses. We are a police state in waiting.

Did you have something to say?

No one has to get the governments permission to exercise their Constitutional right to protest.

Many years ago when I was in the Marines the Westboro Baptist folks came to down to protests at the funereal of a fallen Marine. A bunch of us went as a counter protest.

Both groups were given very specific areas they were allowed to protest from, keeping the two groups a good ways apart. Anyone from either group that tried to do things outside of those areas were taken into custody.

Was this an abuse of power by the city police?

Many years ago when I was in the Marines the Westboro Baptist folks came to down to protests at the funereal of a fallen Marine. A bunch of us went as a counter protest.

Both groups were given very specific areas they were allowed to protest from, keeping the two groups a good ways apart. Anyone from either group that tried to do things outside of those areas were taken into custody.

Was this an abuse of power by the city police?

Yep. You missed your chance at a payout.

Cliffs notes:
- The incident took place on Tuesday morning at a public Pride Month event in Reading

- The man, Damon Atkins, was captured on video in an altercation with police patrolling near the event after he attempted to shout a verse from Corinthians.

- police protected the pride parade from disagreement, "Let them have their day," an officer said to Atkins. "Respect it."

- “You know who's cheering for us? The people that are in hell," the man responded. "So, you do you, and I'm going to do me. This is public property."

- The officer, as seen in the clip, briefly moved to stand between Atkins and the crowd at the event, but turned back as he resumed reading the verse and arrested him.

"That's it. You're done," the officer said.

A few thoughts:
1. why are BLM/Woke people allowed to scream at conservatives, destroy their property, and police stand by, but this is an arrestable offence?
2. This guy should hire a lawyer yesterday and sue the bejesus out of the police dept/city.

Yelling bible verses on public property to protest = GO TO JAIL!
God wanted him to get arrested. Praise Jesus.

Nobody forced the cops to harass the guy.

Cops are kind of obligated to respond to complaints from the general public and enforce laws.

You can hate the game, but you can't hate the player.

Did you have something to say?
We are what we each experience in life. From family upbringings to relationships with people outside of it. We than form our political leanings. With two major political choices and the many agendas or lack of them. And our personal approval or lack of it from the same. We are beyond the greatest generation as their children has besmirched humanity advancement in easier living due their shit not stinking.

Cops are kind of obligated to respond to complaints from the general public and enforce laws.

You can hate the game, but you can't hate the player.

The man in question was simply exercising his rights. I do believe we do not instruct the police anywhere near well enough on the people's rights.

The man in question was simply exercising his rights. I do believe we do not instruct the police anywhere near well enough on the people's rights.
According to the Left, he has no rights, unless he wants to murder his unborn children or take illicit drugs

Then all of a sudden he has rights.

Cliffs notes:
- The incident took place on Tuesday morning at a public Pride Month event in Reading

- The man, Damon Atkins, was captured on video in an altercation with police patrolling near the event after he attempted to shout a verse from Corinthians.

- police protected the pride parade from disagreement, "Let them have their day," an officer said to Atkins. "Respect it."

- “You know who's cheering for us? The people that are in hell," the man responded. "So, you do you, and I'm going to do me. This is public property."

- The officer, as seen in the clip, briefly moved to stand between Atkins and the crowd at the event, but turned back as he resumed reading the verse and arrested him.

A few thoughts:
1. why are BLM/Woke people allowed to scream at conservatives, destroy their property, and police stand by, but this is an arrestable offence?
2. This guy should hire a lawyer yesterday and sue the bejesus out of the police dept/city.

Total violation of his First amendment rights, and a law suit will be coming.

Cliffs notes:

A few thoughts:

To Democrats, Bible verses / pasages are 'Hate Speech'.

According to the Left, he has no rights, unless he wants to murder his unborn children or take illicit drugs

Then all of a sudden he has rights.

If you want to make some sort of generalized rant you can do that without quoting me. If you wish to address something I said, great, do so.

Forum List

Back