Planet Found in Habitable Zone Around Nearest Star

Pale Red Dot campaign reveals Earth-mass world in orbit around Proxima Centauri
24 August 2016
Planet Found in Habitable Zone Around Nearest Star - Pale Red Dot campaign reveals Earth-mass world in orbit around Proxima Centauri
Astronomers using ESO telescopes and other facilities have found clear evidence of a planet orbiting the closest star to Earth, Proxima Centauri. The long-sought world, designated Proxima b, orbits its cool red parent star every 11 days and has a temperature suitable for liquid water to exist on its surface. This rocky world is a little more massive than the Earth and is the closest exoplanet to us — and it may also be the closest possible abode for life outside the Solar System. A paper describing this milestone finding will be published in the journal Nature on 25 August 2016.

Just over four light-years from the Solar System lies a red dwarf star that has been named Proxima Centauri as it is the closest star to Earth apart from the Sun. This cool star in the constellation of Centaurus is too faint to be seen with the unaided eye and lies near to the much brighter pair of stars known as Alpha Centauri AB.

During the first half of 2016 Proxima Centauri was regularly observed with the HARPS spectrograph on the ESO 3.6-metre telescope at La Silla in Chile and simultaneously monitored by other telescopes around the world [1]. This was the Pale Red Dot campaign, in which a team of astronomers led by Guillem Anglada-Escudé, from Queen Mary University of London, was looking for the tiny back and forth wobble of the star that would be caused by the gravitational pull of a possible orbiting planet [2].

Awesome and amazing news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A earth like planet in the habital zone of our closes star!!!!!
They say 75% of the stars are like this star so if there is life around this star they'll theorize life is probably common.

And they say there's probably more life on moons than there are on planets since there are more moons. I don't understand how life can be on a moon. We need our moon to live so how can life be on a moon? Maybe life but not like us. That's OK but I hope to find a place we can live in 1 million years. Doesn't have to be ready now.

There are two factors that would lessen the likelihood of advanced life on the planet. The X-ray influx could be as much as 400X that of Earth and it could be tidally locked to its sun, leaving only a thin band of the planet that isn't either searingly hot or very cold.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/24/health/proxima-b-centauri-rocky-planet-habitable-zone-neighbor-star/

It would also need an Iron core to produce an electromagnetic field. to protect any kind of atomosphere

24 August 2016
Planet Found in Habitable Zone Around Nearest Star - Pale Red Dot campaign reveals Earth-mass world in orbit around Proxima Centauri
Astronomers using ESO telescopes and other facilities have found clear evidence of a planet orbiting the closest star to Earth, Proxima Centauri. The long-sought world, designated Proxima b, orbits its cool red parent star every 11 days and has a temperature suitable for liquid water to exist on its surface. This rocky world is a little more massive than the Earth and is the closest exoplanet to us — and it may also be the closest possible abode for life outside the Solar System. A paper describing this milestone finding will be published in the journal Nature on 25 August 2016.

Just over four light-years from the Solar System lies a red dwarf star that has been named Proxima Centauri as it is the closest star to Earth apart from the Sun. This cool star in the constellation of Centaurus is too faint to be seen with the unaided eye and lies near to the much brighter pair of stars known as Alpha Centauri AB.

During the first half of 2016 Proxima Centauri was regularly observed with the HARPS spectrograph on the ESO 3.6-metre telescope at La Silla in Chile and simultaneously monitored by other telescopes around the world [1]. This was the Pale Red Dot campaign, in which a team of astronomers led by Guillem Anglada-Escudé, from Queen Mary University of London, was looking for the tiny back and forth wobble of the star that would be caused by the gravitational pull of a possible orbiting planet [2].

Awesome and amazing news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A earth like planet in the habital zone of our closes star!!!!!
They say 75% of the stars are like this star so if there is life around this star they'll theorize life is probably common.

And they say there's probably more life on moons than there are on planets since there are more moons. I don't understand how life can be on a moon. We need our moon to live so how can life be on a moon? Maybe life but not like us. That's OK but I hope to find a place we can live in 1 million years. Doesn't have to be ready now.

Many, many stars have gas giants orbiting them at right about the same distance we are to our Sun, respectively. Imagine Europa if Jupiter were in the habitable zone. Imagine the view of the sky!

O_Space-HabitableMoon&Gas.jpg

ETA: I'll bet it's also just a matter of time before we find a gas giant with an Earth-sized (captured planet, perhaps?) moon in it's orbit.

No, because there is more evidence against that than for it. The Neanderthal may have been a result of natural processes and the other extinct ancient species. There are indications that the homo sapiense humans swarm the Earth now in function different from their original invention.
Feel free to cite those "indications".
The statistics of history, money, and networks.

Okay, as an example, humans are the only ones that match their rate of changing their environment with the rate they change their characteristics. Like ants are hive types and were designed as such. Cats are individual types and were designed as such. But people are now not what they were designed, they are not even what they were like 1000 years ago. Complete reprogramming. In this example, from individual to hive. But other e ampules of the artificiality of humans can be computed easily too.

Not bad, but inconclusive since:

1) we only know about the last 10,000 or so years of human history. Modern man has been around for about 200,000 years and modern thinking man about 20,000. Those are pretty big gaps to make assumptions upon. Look how far we've come over the past 3 thousand years. There's room enough in those gaps to have reached our present level of tech and then have had a cataclysmic collapse back to the stone age a few times over.

2) "An absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence". Just because we haven't discovered evidence of fellow earthlings as smart or even smarter than use doesn't mean they didn't exist. Those gaps are big question marks, not periods marking finality.

3) Cats are designed? Are you a young earth creationist? While I believe the Universe was created about 13.82 Billion years ago, I also believe a) it was created with specific rules and b) the creator doesn't violate those rules.

4) In 1970 mathematician John Conway created a BASIC "cellular automaton" computer simulation most people called "Life". A person inputs cells in certain places and the game plays out according to its rules. It was fun to watch the "evolution" of the specific simulation and some tried to develop specific shapes that would eventually evolve once the game was started. I have no doubt the creator of our Universe could cause the Big Bang and know the consequences of the action. IMHO, those who are Bible literalists are limiting God and those who don't accept both the Big Bang and evolution are also limiting God.

John Conway's Game of Life

http://ddi.cs.uni-potsdam.de/HyFISC...kt/proj_gamelife/ConwayScientificAmerican.htm

Last edited:
No, because there is more evidence against that than for it. The Neanderthal may have been a result of natural processes and the other extinct ancient species. There are indications that the homo sapiense humans swarm the Earth now in function different from their original invention.
Feel free to cite those "indications".
The statistics of history, money, and networks.

Okay, as an example, humans are the only ones that match their rate of changing their environment with the rate they change their characteristics. Like ants are hive types and were designed as such. Cats are individual types and were designed as such. But people are now not what they were designed, they are not even what they were like 1000 years ago. Complete reprogramming. In this example, from individual to hive. But other e ampules of the artificiality of humans can be computed easily too.

Not bad, but inconclusive since:

1) we only know about the last 10,000 or so years of human history. Modern man has been around for about 200,000 years and modern thinking man about 20,000. Those are pretty big gaps to make assumptions upon. Look how far we've come over the past 3 thousand years. There's room enough in those gaps to have reached our present level of tech and then have had a cataclysmic collapse back to the stone age a few times over.

2) "An absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence". Just because we have discovered evidence of fellow earthlings as smart or even smarter than use doesn't mean they didn't exist. Those gaps are big question marks, not periods marking finality.

3) Cats are designed? Are you a young earth creationist? While I believe the Universe was created about 13.82 Billion years ago, I also believe a) it was created with specific rules and b) the creator doesn't violate those rules.

4) In 1970 mathematician John Conway created a BASIC "cellular automaton" computer simulation most people called "Life". A person inputs cells in certain places and the game plays out according to its rules. It was fun to watch the "evolution" of the specific simulation and some tried to develop specific shapes that would eventually evolve once the game was started. I have no doubt the creator of our Universe could cause the Big Bang and know the consequences of the action. IMHO, those who are Bible literalists are limiting God and those who don't accept both the Big Bang and evolution are also limiting God.

John Conway's Game of Life

http://ddi.cs.uni-potsdam.de/HyFISC...kt/proj_gamelife/ConwayScientificAmerican.htm
Yes I am one of those few Christian's that are not against the theory of evolution. This way it remains possible that satan's hand remains in humans. This may be through alien meddling or other. It is true that a scientific statement needs to be proven before it can be believed, but there is very little proof because government's fight against such proof ever since the Sumerian texts. But I need to observe that in addition to statistical observations, most "religious" texts all over the world hint this too. And yes this may be explained probably fully by evolutionary models, but we can't prove that it is a full explanation or not. A lot of times it is simpler to build if you assume a series of external nudges, satan's hand, if you will. I am still leaning that like with everything, models seem to converge around the simplest explanations that they can produce. The cellular evolutionary game program sound like revolutionary at its time, very interesting, I think.

Last edited:
Yes I am one of those few Christian's that are not against the theory of evolution. This way it remains possible that satan's hand remains in humans. This may be through alien meddling or other. It is true that a scientific statement needs to be proven before it can be believed, but there is very little proof because government's fight against such proof ever since the Sumerian texts. But I need to observe that in addition to statistical observations, most "religious" texts all over the world hint this too. And yes this may be explained probably fully by evolutionary models, but we can't prove that it is a full explanation or not. A lot of times it is simpler to build if you assume a series of external nudges, satan's hand, if you will. I am still leaning that like with everything, models seem to converge around the simplest explanations that they can produce. The cellular evolutionary game program sound like revolutionary at its time, very interesting, I think.
I disagree with your perception of "Satan" (and probably your perception of "evil" even though we haven't discussed it).

Two questions of which I'll provide the answer. Feel free to comment on either the questions or the answers.

1. Who created Lucifer? God. If God truly is all knowing and all powerful, then not only does God know what Lucifer will do, but good really will triumph over evil and can do so at any time. So why all the fuss? Discuss.

2. Who is responsible for the death of Christ? God.

We'll sit here and do nothing until that next big asteroid rams into our planet...You're the one that is on drugs, idiot.
Could happen, which is why I fully support both an active national space program and more international programs for problems as you suggested.

Ahh, still shitfaced or just drunk again?

Lets say there is a god for a second...Do you really think he gave us a brain and the ability to use it to just sit around and be wiped out?
Grow a spine.

Why would God create an entire Universe then only put life on one rock spinning in the backwater of a medium-sized galaxy when there are a hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe? Even if God only put life on one planet in each galaxy, that seems better use of all that space than just one planet in it all.

I disagree with your perception of "Satan" (and probably your perception of "evil" even though we haven't discussed it).

Two questions of which I'll provide the answer. Feel free to comment on either the questions or the answers.

1. Who created Lucifer? God. If God truly is all knowing and all powerful, then not only does God know what Lucifer will do, but good really will triumph over evil and can do so at any time. So why all the fuss? Discuss.

2. Who is responsible for the death of Christ? God.

Lucifer is partly the role that generates what we know as time in the universe. But satans hand in people can be shown up in experimental ways too like when you put people under stress. Under stress, people behave programmatically, they skip sensory adaptation cycles. All other biology, including the early man, behaves the opposite, under stress they become a simple one step response action to any stimulus.

This way, we can keep the science at the valid problem of how the people situation works. And so the time that is generated by God through Satan provides the framework by which programming and programming people is possible. A simple action-response system needs no time but only causality.

The sooner the star shot probe can be launch the better the chances I'll be able to see this planet. That is what matters.

The JWT will shine a light on these new worlds. All puns intended, of course.

24 August 2016

I like your AVI !

Lucifer is partly the role that generates what we know as time in the universe. But satans hand in people can be shown up in experimental ways too like when you put people under stress. Under stress, people behave programmatically, they skip sensory adaptation cycles. All other biology, including the early man, behaves the opposite, under stress they become a simple one step response action to any stimulus.

This way, we can keep the science at the valid problem of how the people situation works. And so the time that is generated by God through Satan provides the framework by which programming and programming people is possible. A simple action-response system needs no time but only causality.
Citations needed, please.

The sooner the star shot probe can be launch the better the chances I'll be able to see this planet. That is what matters.
While that's interesting, it'll take at least 20 years to get there and 4+ years to send back any messages. Since it appears to be at least a decade before they start sending a flotilla of Starshots toward Alpha Centauri, you're going to have a long wait. Keep those fingers crossed we aren't hit by a big rock first! ;)

Citations needed, please.
What citation do you have in mind? I think this was discussed at this forum some time ago too. But even if wasn't, it is logical that the time is facilitated by that bio programming and vice versa.

Forum List

Back