Planet Found in Habitable Zone Around Nearest Star

We use anti-matter that can get up to 20% of the speed of light, build a ship that can support 3-5 people with shielding strong enough to take the beating.

Antimatter_Rocket.jpg

Project Valkyrie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yea but then we go fast to another planet where there too we are vulnerable to super volcano's, global warming, drought, nuclear attack, meteors, the elements.

Why are we interested in trading one prison for another? Don't get me wrong we should inhabit this planet and others for as long as we can but I think we should build a man made planet where a colony of humans can live indefinitely.

We need to be on more planets taht can support our form of life as it just simpler...
1. Gravity- .8 to 1.3 of our gravity would be a heaven sent for our bone structure. Mars only has 1/10th of earth gravity. We could of course spin this generational colony ship to make this...
2. Surface pressure. The moon, mars and anything besides maybe floating around the cloud tops of venus and/or Titan would boil a human a live without expensive machinery to boost the pressure. That would be quite a machine to keep the pressure high enough for 100,000 people or more! Republicans don't even want to pave our roads or regulate our air or water quality.
3. Probably the most important reason would be radiation and solar winds. A earth sized planet like this one and most of the possible habitable planets discovered so far would likely have a very thick atmosphere because of their high gravity. We could probably get around this with electrical force field but it would have to be powered by nuclear reactors.
4. People would be more supportive of such a ship that can get to a habitable planet. Doubtful we'd get the support for a floating colony as many would think it has no real purpose. The purpose of the ship would be the same as landing in the new world in the 15th century! A new world that could support humans.

I believe we probably should build such a generational ship but nothing beats another earth like planet.

We need to be on more planets taht can support our form of life as it just simpler...
1. Gravity- .8 to 1.3 of our gravity would be a heaven sent for our bone structure. Mars only has 1/10th of earth gravity. We could of course spin this generational colony ship to make this...
2. Surface pressure. The moon, mars and anything besides maybe floating around the cloud tops of venus and/or Titan would boil a human a live without expensive machinery to boost the pressure. That would be quite a machine to keep the pressure high enough for 100,000 people or more! Republicans don't even want to pave our roads or regulate our air or water quality.
3. Probably the most important reason would be radiation and solar winds. A earth sized planet like this one and most of the possible habitable planets discovered so far would likely have a very thick atmosphere because of their high gravity. We could probably get around this with electrical force field but it would have to be powered by nuclear reactors.
4. People would be more supportive of such a ship that can get to a habitable planet. Doubtful we'd get the support for a floating colony as many would think it has no real purpose. The purpose of the ship would be the same as landing in the new world in the 15th century! A new world that could support humans.

I believe we probably should build such a generational ship but nothing beats another earth like planet.
All I know is this weekend I was up north away from the city lights and there are so many stars and they are all so very far away. I just hope we don't nuke ourselves and take a huge step backward. Imagine if instead of for the last 70 years instead of a cold war with Russia we worked with them and spent that money colonizing Mars. And working with China. We'd be way further along.

But then again the cold war advanced technology too

If the loserterians get into power and do what they want = pretty much nuking ourselfs. Why? Half of all research dollars come from the federal government and without the energy department that would be a huge blow to science.

We also should be on mars by now, but you can't do that on a few billion dollars human space flight budget. When considering such a mission, you have to consider 1. it needs to be big enough to provide everything it needs to keep humans a live and 2. needs to have the ability to land on teh surface.

The mission is going to take a few years and food, water and air are important elements.

Such a mission would probably cost 100 to 500 billion dollars and this is probably not considering the mars base on the planet.

"Christianity" doesn't believe we are the only life in the Universe, nor does Christianity teach such narcissistic nonsense. Christianity merely teaches us how to be more godly towards one another. Everything else, is people.
Most American Christians, especially Evangelicals and Southern Baptists, believe mankind to be unique. That, if the Bible is true, we're the only life in the 6000 year old universe.

Meh. Most I know are fine with believing that a day in God's life could be any number of actual years. I'm one of the ones that believe God said, "The four-dimensional divergence of an anti-symmetric second rank tensor equals zero!" and there was light.

Meh. Most I know are fine with believing that a day in God's life could be any number of actual years. I'm one of the ones that believe God said, "The four-dimensional divergence of an anti-symmetric second rank tensor equals zero!" and there was light.
LOL.

Regarding time, it's a construct for our universe. Obviously God, being eternal, is not bound by time nor space.

We use anti-matter that can get up to 20% of the speed of light, build a ship that can support 3-5 people with shielding strong enough to take the beating.

Antimatter_Rocket.jpg

Yea but then we go fast to another planet where there too we are vulnerable to super volcano's, global warming, drought, nuclear attack, meteors, the elements.

Why are we interested in trading one prison for another? Don't get me wrong we should inhabit this planet and others for as long as we can but I think we should build a man made planet where a colony of humans can live indefinitely.

There are also technologies that we already have that can be further produced for interstellar travel.

Bussard ramjet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interstellar travel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Simply traveling at .1c isn't gonna cut it to get to Proxima b. We're gonna have to factor in time for acceleration and deceleration. Maybe accelerate at 1g to save energy on centrifugal force. If the ship could be turned around 180° before deceleration, it could also be done at -1g. So, we're talking 50 - 60 years with current technology, and that could just be barely long enough that a human could make it there within his/her lifetime, if they're healthy enough to live well into their 90's.

Or, a probe could be sent with said technology to gather data ahead of a human expedition. It could easily make the journey in ~44 or so years, just as long as we have something figured out for shielding from things like interstellar dust particles, which would have quite an explosive impact at 1860 mp/s!

Before any of that, we're gonna need a lot of materials. 3D printers will be the key to mining the asteroid belt for millennia worth of precious metals and vital building materials. We're gonna need 3D printers out there printing little mining robots that feed the printer more materials to make more robots.

My generation will see mankind set foot on Mars. It's my grandchildren's generation that will see commercial travel to the gas giants.

LOL.

Regarding time, it's a construct for our universe. Obviously God, being eternal, is not bound by time nor space.

Spacetime itself isn't bound by time either. ;)

Antimatter_Rocket.jpg

There are also technologies that we already have that can be further produced for interstellar travel.

Bussard ramjet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interstellar travel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Simply traveling at .1c isn't gonna cut it to get to Proxima b. We're gonna have to factor in time for acceleration and deceleration. Maybe accelerate at 1g to save energy on centrifugal force. If the ship could be turned around 180° before deceleration, it could also be done at -1g. So, we're talking 50 - 60 years with current technology, and that could just be barely long enough that a human could make it there within his/her lifetime, if they're healthy enough to live well into their 90's.

Or, a probe could be sent with said technology to gather data ahead of a human expedition. It could easily make the journey in ~44 or so years, just as long as we have something figured out for shielding from things like interstellar dust particles, which would have quite an explosive impact at 1860 mp/s!

Before any of that, we're gonna need a lot of materials. 3D printers will be the key to mining the asteroid belt for millennia worth of precious metals and vital building materials. We're gonna need 3D printers out there printing little mining robots that feed the printer more materials to make more robots.

My generation will see mankind set foot on Mars. It's my grandchildren's generation that will see commercial travel to the gas giants.
Just heard some astronauts just returned from spending a year on the international space station. We're getting there. Slowly.

Planet Found in Habitable Zone Around Nearest Star
Pale Red Dot campaign reveals Earth-mass world in orbit around Proxima Centauri
24 August 2016
Planet Found in Habitable Zone Around Nearest Star - Pale Red Dot campaign reveals Earth-mass world in orbit around Proxima Centauri
Astronomers using ESO telescopes and other facilities have found clear evidence of a planet orbiting the closest star to Earth, Proxima Centauri. The long-sought world, designated Proxima b, orbits its cool red parent star every 11 days and has a temperature suitable for liquid water to exist on its surface. This rocky world is a little more massive than the Earth and is the closest exoplanet to us — and it may also be the closest possible abode for life outside the Solar System. A paper describing this milestone finding will be published in the journal Nature on 25 August 2016.

Just over four light-years from the Solar System lies a red dwarf star that has been named Proxima Centauri as it is the closest star to Earth apart from the Sun. This cool star in the constellation of Centaurus is too faint to be seen with the unaided eye and lies near to the much brighter pair of stars known as Alpha Centauri AB.

During the first half of 2016 Proxima Centauri was regularly observed with the HARPS spectrograph on the ESO 3.6-metre telescope at La Silla in Chile and simultaneously monitored by other telescopes around the world [1]. This was the Pale Red Dot campaign, in which a team of astronomers led by Guillem Anglada-Escudé, from Queen Mary University of London, was looking for the tiny back and forth wobble of the star that would be caused by the gravitational pull of a possible orbiting planet [2].

Awesome and amazing news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A earth like planet in the habital zone of our closes star!!!!!

God help them! Liberals have discovered a new world to infect.

No wonder aliens always hide from us.

Just heard some astronauts just returned from spending a year on the international space station. We're getting there. Slowly.
Too slowly. We went from Kitty Hawk to jets and atomic bombs in 42 years. From Kitty Hawk to the Moon in 66 years. It's been 47 years since we first went to the moon and all we have for our space program is renting space on Russian capsules and startup private Low-Earth-Orbit supply rockets.

Thanks, Democrats!

Too slowly. We went from Kitty Hawk to jets and atomic bombs in 42 years. From Kitty Hawk to the Moon in 66 years. It's been 47 years since we first went to the moon and all we have for our space program is renting space on Russian capsules and startup private Low-Earth-Orbit supply rockets.

Thanks, Democrats!

Unfortunately the more we learned the more we realized just how big space is and what a challenge it's going to be to get anywhere whether in person or by probe. But we will get there. We got plenty of time.

They calculated that Earth's habitable-zone lifetime is as long as 7.79 billion years. (Earth is estimated to be about 4.5 billion years old.)

Are you in a hurry? How much are you willing to pay to pick up the pace? Or is this like the Iraq war or Iran war that you want? Where you want to fight it and you want all the defense spending but you don't want to pay a dime for it.

Relax, private $ is doing it since your cheap ass won't.

Breakthrough Starshot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks, Democrats!

Unfortunately the more we learned the more we realized just how big space is and what a challenge it's going to be to get anywhere whether in person or by probe. But we will get there. We got plenty of time.

They calculated that Earth's habitable-zone lifetime is as long as 7.79 billion years. (Earth is estimated to be about 4.5 billion years old.)

Are you in a hurry? How much are you willing to pay to pick up the pace? Or is this like the Iraq war or Iran war that you want? Where you want to fight it and you want all the defense spending but you don't want to pay a dime for it.

At the earliest, I'd be 85 by the time images of Proxima b could be beamed back to Earth . :(

....Are you in a hurry? How much are you willing to pay to pick up the pace? Or is this like the Iraq war or Iran war that you want? Where you want to fight it and you want all the defense spending but you don't want to pay a dime for it.

Ask Matthew. He's the one worried a giant rock will take us all out before the human race can move off planet.

As for your lies, I expect it from you.

Thanks, Democrats!

At the earliest, I'd be 85 by the time images of Proxima b could be beamed back to Earth . :(
85? That's young.

....Are you in a hurry? How much are you willing to pay to pick up the pace? Or is this like the Iraq war or Iran war that you want? Where you want to fight it and you want all the defense spending but you don't want to pay a dime for it.

Ask Matthew. He's the one worried a giant rock will take us all out before the human race can move off planet.

As for your lies, I expect it from you.
When a con calls me a liar I wear it like a badge of honor

Thanks, Democrats!

85? That's young.

Considering I probably won't live past my 40's, 85 may as well be older than Methuselah.

Thanks, Democrats!

85? That's young.

Considering I probably won't live past my 40's, 85 may as well be older than Methuselah.

I'm 45 now. I live a pretty hard lifestyle. I do what I want, drink what I want, smoke what I want, fuck what I want, do the drugs that I want. I'm built like a tank too. That's good when you are young and in sports but not when you are old. Those guys have heart attacks. I doubt I'll see retirement age too to be honest with you. LOL. But boy did I have a fun life.

Thanks, Democrats!

85? That's young.

I'm 45 now. I live a pretty hard lifestyle. I do what I want, drink what I want, smoke what I want, fuck what I want, do the drugs that I want. I'm built like a tank too. That's good when you are young and in sports but not when you are old. Those guys have heart attacks. I doubt I'll see retirement age too to be honest with you. LOL. But boy did I have a fun life.

Mine was definitely not boring. lol

Forum List

Back