Zone1 Phishing Attempt

I ignore all such texts and emails. Anything received from the bank shows your full name and the last 4 digits of your bank card in the UK.

I received missed calls from the bank, so I enquired at my local branch if the number was legit. It was, so I rang that number as it was the fraud department. They blocked some transactions and sent me a new card.

Second incident was the taxman rang me and wanted to go through security with me. I declined, asked for his name and I rang the legit HMRC phone number off their website. They put me through to the guy, it was legit. It was just to go over a CIS tax query that I had asked them about via letter.

My rules are, never ever trust any communication that comes through, never click any links, and never assume the supplied phone number is correct.

They have to have your acct's routing number, and permission to access your acct. So yes, you're a lot more vulnerable; hackers can steal that info like they can any other stuff. Most cities have grocery stores where you pay everything from your water bill to your phone bills in cash. No need to send anything, and money orders work fine, too. They're cheap, and those stores usually just charge a buck or so for paying your bills there.
No
The receiver sees no banking information.
It is bank to bank.
Your bank pays their bank.
All they see is the deposit and a unique number that corresponds to your account with them.
I do these transactions in our business everyday.
People make payments to us via Authnet.
At my bank, money is deposited. I see no information, just a code number and the amount.
Each day I launch Authnet and it automatically applies the payments to the proper account using a unique code that is not related to their CC or bank account.

Why use your credit card or debit card on;ine when you can just buy a prepaid card and use that? It's just stupid to buy anything online any other way. It's also stupid to hand out your bank acct routing numbers to utilities and other companies for 'automatic billing services'. PAy by cash or money order.

We use one card for internet purchases.
We keep it at $500 dollar limit and they alert us for every purchase over $100 bucks.
Our cards used to get compromised frequently sometimes 2 or 3 times a month.
Once covid hit we stopped going out to eat all the time,not because we're afraid of covide but the rules made going out much less enjoyable.
The compromised card shit stopped immediately. Never could figure out where it was happening though.

Yes.
in this day and age of literally 100,000s of people a year getting their accounts hacked and compromised, everyone should do a number of things like this.
What I do:
1) Every single day I look online to see the balance and any transactions. Every day. This is important, many banks have the same kinds of protections as credit cards do - with one large difference; You must report the missing funds within 48 hours of occurrence. If not - you lost the money.
2) I receive email for every transaction over $100. I wish it happened immediately, but it does happen fairly quick. Usually within an hour of the transaction.
3) I use the banks service to autopay bills rather than having the utility companies etc. having my account information. When you use your bank to autopay bills - the receiver sees no banking information. Less people having your account information - the better.
4) I use a credit card, rather than a debit card for online purchases. Generally CC companies have better security options and offer better protections than a bank debit card. And you are never giving access to your actual money.
I also do 2 step verification and never let them "recognize" my computer so i have to use the 2 step every single time.

I also do 2 step verification and never let them "recognize" my computer so i have to use the 2 step every single time.
Indeed - you might remember my post a little while back about Chrome and Googles absolutely INSANE "password sharing for convenience".
I installed a new dekstop computer, signed into my gmail and wait... what... I could log into the companies bank account because I use that gmail address on a different computer.
Absolute madness.

Indeed - you might remember my post a little while back about Chrome and Googles absolutely INSANE "password sharing for convenience".
I installed a new dekstop computer, signed into my gmail and wait... what... I could log into the companies bank account because I use that gmail address on a different computer.
Absolute madness.
I use Firefox, been using them mostly from near the very beginning. The only time I stopped using them was way back when they became resource heavy which they ultimately fixed. Never liked Google Chrome or the old M$ IE/Edge, I do use the current Edge for some very limited uses. Brave is not bad but Firefox offers far more privacy with features like their Total Cookie Protection.
One of the main reasons I like Firefox is because one can activate the upper menu bar which I love.

I use Firefox, been using them mostly from near the very beginning. The only time I stopped using them was way back when they became resource heavy which they ultimately fixed. Never liked Google Chrome or the old M$ IE/Edge, I do use the current Edge for some very limited uses. Brave is not bad but Firefox offers far more privacy with features like their Total Cookie Protection.
One of the main reasons I like Firefox is because one can activate the upper menu bar which I love.
Hey you are the one that pointed me to Brave! :lol: j/k
I may give Firefox another try at some point, been using Brave for quite awhile now. I stopped using Firefox awhile back as it was becoming a memory behemoth just like IE.
I don't know if they fixed all the memory leaking it was doing a couple years ago.
I used FF for many years before that.

Hey you are the one that pointed me to Brave! :lol: j/k
I may give Firefox another try at some point, been using Brave for quite awhile now. I stopped using Firefox awhile back as it was becoming a memory behemoth just like IE.
I don't know if they fixed all the memory leaking it was doing a couple years ago.
I used FF for many years before that.
The possibility for heavy RAM usage and leakage is still there but I think it has more to do with certain add ons than FF itself. I say that because I use only 2 add ons and never had a problem.
Mozilla does offer solutions if you should experience those problems.

Firefox uses too much memory or CPU resources - How to fix | Firefox Help

We use one card for internet purchases.
We keep it at $500 dollar limit and they alert us for every purchase over $100 bucks.
Our cards used to get compromised frequently sometimes 2 or 3 times a month.
Once covid hit we stopped going out to eat all the time,not because we're afraid of covide but the rules made going out much less enjoyable.
The compromised card shit stopped immediately. Never could figure out where it was happening though.

Same here; the fees are negligible when you charge up $500 or so; it's well worth the small fee to keep your accts. exposure to a minimum. I pay cash for small stuff; I spend a lot less that way, since I can see it going out.

Why use your credit card or debit card on;ine when you can just buy a prepaid card and use that? It's just stupid to buy anything online any other way. It's also stupid to hand out your bank acct routing numbers to utilities and other companies for 'automatic billing services'. PAy by cash or money order.

Because CC's offer fraud protection for unauthorized purchases. Prepaid cards do not.

Credit cards also offer cash back. I currently have over 550 dollars of free cash sitting on my card from rewards. That's like a free laptop.

Vulnerable Americans are being bilked out of their life savings and there ain't a thing the local, state and federal enforcement can do or cares to do about it.

Credit cards also offer cash back. I currently have over 550 dollars of free cash sitting on my card from rewards. That's like a free laptop.

lol no, it isn't free. Stores tack on the fees to their prices on every transaction. You're getting back less than you're paying in extra fees for using plastic. Some stores actually don't overcharge cash customers and tack on 3% or so on top of the prices for plastic users. I've never been poor enough to have to use plastic and do just fine.

The big 'thing' right now is cloning phones and using the dual verification (2^x) to screw you.

That's why you need to be very careful and also the smaller phone exchanges have more people (inside job) willing to sell your IMEI information for a sim over-write.

lol no, it isn't free. Stores tack on the fees to their prices on every transaction. You're getting back less than you're paying in extra fees for using plastic. Some stores actually don't overcharge cash customers and tack on 3% or so on top of the prices for plastic users. I've never been poor enough to have to use plastic and do just fine.

There is no discount at Wal Mart or my power company for using cash over card, so yea, it is free money.

In fact I will walk out of any retail establishment that charges me more for using my card. That few percent that the CC company charges them is called the cost of doing business which I REFUSE to pay for.

Last edited:
I love all these ideas.

If I feel like really messing with them, I give a little scream and tell them I've got something on the stove boiling over, put down the phone and then leave it there for a half hour.

Or I press the "O" button on the phone and hold it down while I go on about my business.

Or I do my best impression of a severely developmentally disabled adult.

It's fun screwing with criminals when they're halfway across the world.

Deepen your voice, "Third Precinct, Sgt Preston speaking"

There is no discount at Wal Mart or my power company for using cash over card, so yea, it is free money.

In fact I will walk out of any retail establishment that charges me more for using my card. That few percent that the CC company charges them is called the cost of doing business which I REFUSE to pay for.

So what?

Cash costs business. It's something that can often gets stolen by staff, even it's just a small amount now and then. It needs paid man hours to count it, it needs paid man hours to go to the bank to pay it in. Depending on the bank account, there could be a charge on cash deposits. No such problems with card transactions.

The law in the UK and EU, you can't charge people for using cards. So card or cash, you pay the shelf price.

Forum List

Back