Zone1 Phishing Attempt

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
Just had a well set up phishing attempt. First off received a text from what appeared to be my bank's fraud department asking if I'd authorized a charge for $XXX amount, I responded NO. A few minutes later I received a call IDed only as the initials of my bank, the man (had a slight Indian accent) started relating what were allegedly 3 attempted charges on my card but in Georgia, even asked if I was traveling. Then claimed there was an attempt to access my account online, rambled off a bogus user name and password. Told him no, not mine so he stated the fraud department need to update my user name and password, not have me do it but have them do it............... What is my user name and password.........? (Your banking institution will never ask for those online or over the phone). I almost laughed out loud and told him emphatically nope, I will call my bank directly. He said the number on my screen ID is the bank's number, kept claiming they needed to make the change over the phone. Told him it wasn't going to happen and I was calling my bank fraud dept right away. He didn't like that and hung up.

So be on the look out and remember NEVER give out your account user name(s) or password(s).

Just had a well set up phishing attempt. First off received a text from what appeared to be my bank's fraud department asking if I'd authorized a charge for $XXX amount, I responded NO. A few minutes later I received a call IDed only as the initials of my bank, the man (had a slight Indian accent) started relating what were allegedly 3 attempted charges on my card but in Georgia, even asked if I was traveling. Then claimed there was an attempt to access my account online, rambled off a bogus user name and password. Told him no, not mine so he stated the fraud department need to update my user name and password, not have me do it but have them do it............... What is my user name and password.........? (Your banking institution will never ask for those online or over the phone). I almost laughed out loud and told him emphatically nope, I will call my bank directly. He said the number on my screen ID is the bank's number, kept claiming they needed to make the change over the phone. Told him it wasn't going to happen and I was calling my bank fraud dept right away. He didn't like that and hung up.

So be on the look out and remember NEVER give out your account user name(s) or password(s).

People still give out all kinds of info online, which is stupid.

PJ and I have been getting those texts, sometimes regarding banks we deal with, but other times, funds, banks and credit unions we have never dealt with or haven't dealt with in 20 or 30 years. We never answer, but just delete and report. If it is one of my banks or funds, I still don't respond there, but dial in, direct to my bank, adviser or broker from numbers in my phone book.

The way to handle telephone Scammers is to ask them what they want on their pizza.
And if that doesn't work start asking them for money.
And if that doesn't work start talking about their mother.
Have some fun screwing with them.

Whenever I get such a communication, I walk up the street to my bank and walk up to any teller and just ask. If it's after hours, I ask my next door neighbor, who is also my banker at my small local Midwest bank.

And I never talk to anyone with an Indian accent over the phone. Especially someone whose name is Mike.

The way to handle telephone Scammers is to ask them what they want on their pizza.
And if that doesn't work start asking them for money.
And if that doesn't work start talking about their mother.
Have some fun screwing with them.

I love all these ideas.

If I feel like really messing with them, I give a little scream and tell them I've got something on the stove boiling over, put down the phone and then leave it there for a half hour.

Or I press the "O" button on the phone and hold it down while I go on about my business.

Or I do my best impression of a severely developmentally disabled adult.

It's fun screwing with criminals when they're halfway across the world.

People still give out all kinds of info online, which is stupid.

Several years ago, they got my late hubby to give up control of his computer and he had his credit card in hand ready to start reading the number. I grabbed the phone and said some choice words and found that the only way I could get them to relinquish control of the computer was to disconnect it from the power supply.

When I explained what almost happened, he "got it". His 100 year old mother never did"get it" and we were forever cleaning up the messes that the scammers made of her life. "But she sounded like such a nice girl and she was telling me a story about something that happened while she was in church!" They know that the elderly can be naïve.

I love all these ideas.

If I feel like really messing with them, I give a little scream and tell them I've got something on the stove boiling over, put down the phone and then leave it there for a half hour.

Or I press the "O" button on the phone and hold it down while I go on about my business.

Or I do my best impression of a severely developmentally disabled adult.

It's fun screwing with criminals when they're halfway across the world.

I got cussed out by one once

I have had several attempts like this just in November.
I had one attempted charge to my card in the month of October. Had to deactivate it and order a new card.
It might be coincidence but it all seems to have started when I used my card to pay for my PO box.
Cash only at the USPS from now on.
I set my card up a few years ago so every purchase must be approved by text message. I strongly recommend doing that. It works.

I have had several attempts like this just in November.
I had one attempted charge to my card in the month of October. Had to deactivate it and order a new card.
It might be coincidence but it all seems to have started when I used my card to pay for my PO box.
Cash only at the USPS from now on.
I set my card up a few years ago so every purchase must be approved by text message. I strongly recommend doing that. It works.

I've found it worth it to pay as many of my bills as possible with cash, in person at the local offices of the communications company, the city and county buildings and the insurance company. Since I do a lot of work on my home, I also pay for most of my materials from the local home improvement store with cash at POS.

When my late hubby and I moved out of Seattle to a small Washington town, we had a rash of identity theft attempts until I had the wifi removed and everything hardwired. Then it stopped, as did the regular occasions of the same car cruising slowly down our street, stopping and parking directly across from our home, and spending at least fifteen minutes doing nothing.

Why use your credit card or debit card on;ine when you can just buy a prepaid card and use that? It's just stupid to buy anything online any other way. It's also stupid to hand out your bank acct routing numbers to utilities and other companies for 'automatic billing services'. PAy by cash or money order.

My credit card bank sends me a text alert whenever my card is used without a swipe or actual chip scan so I know immediately if an unauthorized purchase is made.

And just another tip on getting those emails. Don't reply to the email but rather call the number on the back of your credit card.

Those Indians have diversified in their scam attacks. No longer is it only "Windows Technical Support".

Now it can be Amazon, your bank, Verizon, and I forget another one.

My credit card bank sends me a text alert whenever my card is used without a swipe or actual chip scan so I know immediately if an unauthorized purchase is made.

And just another tip on getting those emails. Don't reply to the email but rather call the number on the back of your credit card.
Yes.
in this day and age of literally 100,000s of people a year getting their accounts hacked and compromised, everyone should do a number of things like this.
What I do:
1) Every single day I look online to see the balance and any transactions. Every day. This is important, many banks have the same kinds of protections as credit cards do - with one large difference; You must report the missing funds within 48 hours of occurrence. If not - you lost the money.
2) I receive email for every transaction over $100. I wish it happened immediately, but it does happen fairly quick. Usually within an hour of the transaction.
3) I use the banks service to autopay bills rather than having the utility companies etc. having my account information. When you use your bank to autopay bills - the receiver sees no banking information. Less people having your account information - the better.
4) I use a credit card, rather than a debit card for online purchases. Generally CC companies have better security options and offer better protections than a bank debit card. And you are never giving access to your actual money.

Yes.
in this day and age of literally 100,000s of people a year getting their accounts hacked and compromised, everyone should do a number of things like this.
What I do:
1) Every single day I look online to see the balance and any transactions. Every day. This is important, many banks have the same kinds of protections as credit cards do - with one large difference; You must report the missing funds within 48 hours of occurrence. If not - you lost the money.
2) I receive email for every transaction over $100. I wish it happened immediately, but it does happen fairly quick. Usually within an hour of the transaction.
3) I use the banks service to autopay bills rather than having the utility companies etc. having my account information. When you use your bank to autopay bills - the receiver sees no banking information. Less people having your account information - the better.
4) I use a credit card, rather than a debit card for online purchases. Generally CC companies have better security options and offer better protections than a bank debit card. And you are never giving access to your actual money.

#1 is a good habit that I picked up from my late hubby.

I will look into all the other options.

Thank you.

I use the banks service to autopay bills rather than having the utility companies etc. having my account information. When you use your bank to autopay bills - the receiver sees no banking information.

They have to have your acct's routing number, and permission to access your acct. So yes, you're a lot more vulnerable; hackers can steal that info like they can any other stuff. Most cities have grocery stores where you pay everything from your water bill to your phone bills in cash. No need to send anything, and money orders work fine, too. They're cheap, and those stores usually just charge a buck or so for paying your bills there.

Forum List

Back