Philosophy: The Meaning of Life

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
A thread in the CDZ bombed badly because the OP was determined that 'family' is the answer no matter what the question. I have come to the conclusion that passion is actually the right answer - and not in the tunnel-vision sense, but rather in the "Pleasantville" sense. Whatever you are passionate about, if you follow that passion, that is where you find fulfillment and happiness.

So - the next questions would be:

1) what is your passion, and

2) are you making an effort to fulfill that desire?

In my mind, that leads to my next question. Are you so single-mindedly following that chosen path that you are blind to what else life has to offer?

there is no "meaning to life" It is just.... life.

the meaning is what you make it to be. Yes, that could be called your passion....or passions.

I don't think there is one answer. We all change. What we are passionate about in youth may not be the same as you get older.

the meaning of life, right now, this moment for me..... is the warm kitten in my robe. Ask me again in a few hours....and i may say..... coffee!

• Banned

the meaning is what you make it to be. Yes, that could be called your passion....or passions.

I don't think there is one answer. We all change. What we are passionate about in youth may not be the same as you get older.

the meaning of life, right now, this moment for me..... is the warm kitten in my robe. Ask me again in a few hours....and i may say..... coffee!

If I had to guess, for you - and I'd probably be wrong, but I would guess cooking.

If I had to guess, for you - and I'd probably be wrong, but I would guess cooking.

that would be one of them,yes..... for a very long time it was ballet and art. Which is why i say there is no meaning...it is just life. I relish....life.

• Banned
When you consider the alternative, the meaning of life is life itself.

Some consider the alternative, and it wins out because there is no passion to be found.

I was speaking philosophically, not about troubled individuals.

And I was speaking of the same. When you consider the alternative, for some that is a better choice.

Or were we meant to /end thread when you posted that Brilliant Gem.

Why are there so many threads on this? Did you people not see the movie?!

I actually think this is a better thread..... and better placenta.

most of the other ones asking are asking for an agenda response that agrees with their religious ideals... and will brook no other opinions. They ask no so much for opinions... but reassurance of their own particular values.

Some consider the alternative, and it wins out because there is no passion to be found.

I was speaking philosophically, not about troubled individuals.

And I was speaking of the same. When you consider the alternative, for some that is a better choice.

Or were we meant to /end thread when you posted that Brilliant Gem.

Again, I'm not talking about troubled individuals. I was under the impression that this was a philosophical topic in the philosophy forum.

The alternative to life is nothingness. A universe with nothing but lifeless hunks of matter.
When one considers that, life is meaning, in and of itself.

I honestly don't give two craps about some cutter who was bullied into committing suicide, nor do I consider discussions of that particularly "philosophical." But to each his own.

A thread in the CDZ bombed badly because the OP was determined that 'family' is the answer no matter what the question. I have come to the conclusion that passion is actually the right answer - and not in the tunnel-vision sense, but rather in the "Pleasantville" sense. Whatever you are passionate about, if you follow that passion, that is where you find fulfillment and happiness.

In my mind, that leads to my next question. Are you so single-mindedly following that chosen path that you are blind to what else life has to offer?

I am not sure what the meaning is.

I am not passionate about anything.

For the most part life is depressing but I just move through it.

I care about people.

I care about people.

Were you passionate about anything before June?

:smiliehug:

I care about people.

Well my sister's suicide in june was the 3rd death I had this year, prior to her death my cousin and my dad.

Aside from 2013 being the worst year in my life ever......

I care about human issues and people who are suffering.

I wouldn't say I am passionate about anything tho.

No hobbies.

I care about people.

Well my sister's suicide in june was the 3rd death I had this year, prior to her death my cousin and my dad.

Aside from 2013 being the worst year in my life ever......

I care about human issues and people who are suffering.

I wouldn't say I am passionate about anything tho.

No hobbies.

Honey, I would be seeing life in shades of gray myself had I sustained that many losses in such a short time frame. When my marriage was destroyed, I was given to bouts of crying on a regular basis, just storms of weeping, felt like my heart was literally shattering. That went on for a few months. And that is NOTHING compared to what you've sustained.

Mourning one loss, traditionally, was a year. You got triple-whammied. It's like an emotional amputation that you've been through.

Forum List

Back