Philosophy Professor Calls For Jailing Global Warming “Denialists” For Criminal Negli

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
holy smokes, these globull warming-aka "climate change" cult members are becoming damn scary
links in article at site

SNIP:

Via James Delingpole:

Scientists who don’t believe in catastrophic man-made global warming should be put in prison, a US philosophy professor argues on a website funded by the UK government.

Lawrence Torcello – assistant professor of philosophy at Rochester Institute of Technology, NY, writes in an essay at The Conversation that climate scientists who fail to communicate the correct message about “global warming” should face trial for “criminal negligence”. (H/T Bishop Hill)

The Conversation - no relation of Breitbart’s blogging chatroom – is a website promoting articles by academics and funded by nineteen of Britain’s leading universities, as well as several government agencies, including the Higher Education Funding Council For England (HEFCE) and the Higher Education Funding Council For Wales (HEFCW) and Research Council UK.

Its motto is “Academic rigour, journalistic flair” – both qualities which are mysteriously absent from Torcello’s essay, titled “Is Misinformation About The Climate Criminally Negligent?”

Keep reading…

ALL of it here
Philosophy Professor Calls For Jailing Global Warming ?Denialists? For Criminal Negligence? | Weasel Zippers

Well, there have been plenty of scary people in the past, and actually they went beyond scary. Just take a look at all the vile spewed against those who tell the facts on these boards. I do not need to wonder what they will do given enough power and continued opposition.

Human Nature repeats itself, concentration camps and re-education for those who oppose the Leftist/Liberal/Democrats.

Bring it on... Will match the LA Times attempt to muzzle legit debate by refusing to
publish "denier" editorials.. The SCIENCE is NOT settled and neither is the lesson to
learned from the political angles of this.. So I ENCOURAGE the leftist supporters of this
con job to demonstrate their true colors.. They should all go full authoritarian mode, right now

Throw a major hissy fit, so that the public sees the nature of the folks behind the fraud..

holy smokes, these globull warming-aka "climate change" cult members are becoming damn scary
links in article at site

SNIP:

Via James Delingpole:

Scientists who don’t believe in catastrophic man-made global warming should be put in prison, a US philosophy professor argues on a website funded by the UK government.

Lawrence Torcello – assistant professor of philosophy at Rochester Institute of Technology, NY, writes in an essay at The Conversation that climate scientists who fail to communicate the correct message about “global warming” should face trial for “criminal negligence”. (H/T Bishop Hill)

The Conversation - no relation of Breitbart’s blogging chatroom – is a website promoting articles by academics and funded by nineteen of Britain’s leading universities, as well as several government agencies, including the Higher Education Funding Council For England (HEFCE) and the Higher Education Funding Council For Wales (HEFCW) and Research Council UK.

Its motto is “Academic rigour, journalistic flair” – both qualities which are mysteriously absent from Torcello’s essay, titled “Is Misinformation About The Climate Criminally Negligent?”

Keep reading…

ALL of it here
Philosophy Professor Calls For Jailing Global Warming ?Denialists? For Criminal Negligence? | Weasel Zippers

Some people think free speech only applies to those who agree with them.

Bring it on... Will match the LA Times attempt to muzzle legit debate by refusing to
publish "denier" editorials.. The SCIENCE is NOT settled and neither is the lesson to
learned from the political angles of this.. So I ENCOURAGE the leftist supporters of this
con job to demonstrate their true colors.. They should all go full authoritarian mode, right now

Throw a major hissy fit, so that the public sees the nature of the folks behind the fraud..

Spencer just found out that the JDL doesn't seem to have a problem with the term 'denier' affixed to clime skeptics. The hypocrisy is overwhelming.

Spencer just found out that the JDL doesn't seem to have a problem with the term 'denier' affixed to clime skeptics. The hypocrisy is overwhelming.

I'll have to have a talk with those folks next time they solicit me..

Way I see it.. I could use a nice quiet cubicle with library access and free food and med care for a couple months.. Probably would walk out of prison with a certificate in Climate Science..

:D

links in article at site

SNIP:

Via James Delingpole:

Keep reading…

ALL of it here

Could get behind putting the contributors in prison, but not people who simply don't believe in something. Where's that end? Religion too? Bad idea doc.

It's not like he was being facetious and calling for them to be shot

Was it a good victimhood orgasm, denialists?

Light up a cigarette and bask in the glow now. Being you fail so hard at the science and logic, tossing out those victimhood cards is really the only tactic you have left.

Last edited:
It's good to see a philosopher weigh in on this issue. The prosecution and jailing cannot be compared the Gulag or gas chambers. Facing the end of the species is no light matter. No rigorous, intelligent scientist denies that humanity is marching towards a cliff. Without serious action to eliminate propaganda and intentional misinformation from affluent sources, we are guaranteeing climate change/environmental degradation will threaten survival and ensure scarcity for centuries to come.

Lawrence Torcello said:
When it comes to global warming, much of the public remains in denial about a set of facts that the majority of scientists clearly agree on. With such high stakes, an organised campaign funding misinformation ought to be considered criminally negligent....I don’t believe poor scientific communication should be criminalised because doing so will likely discourage scientists from engaging with the public at all...scientists have an ethical obligation to communicate their findings as clearly as possible to the public when such findings are relevant to public policy.

Consider cases in which science communication is intentionally undermined for political and financial gain.

https://theconversation.com/is-misi...ate-criminally-negligent-23111#comment_333276

Indeed we should consider faux science that derives its obvious source from affluence. The affluent have one goal in mind: obtain more affluence. And so they use information as a tool to mislead people. Information can be true or false and can be employed for good or for destruction.

Last edited:
I don't think they're criminally negligent. The fossil fuel industry's misinformation campaign is not committing a sin of omission. They are actively passing known falsehoods. They are committing fraud. In the case of elected civil servants using the powers of their office to participate in this activity (Senator Inhofe and others come to mind) I think the laws cover their actions and impeachment and jail are a real possibility. For the civilians, however, who run this nation's fossil fuel industries, I see no laws they break by paying others to lie to us for them. I do see the potential for private lawsuits. Unfortunately, by the time it is possible to identify individuals or groups with sufficient legal standing for a successful suit, it will be far, far too late to do any good. It's easy enough to argue that it's already too late.

It is easy to argue that it's too late. Especially when people are aiming to profit off global warming. I heard this quote the other day about profiting off end times, I'm paraphrasing,

"While we expect the end to be full of human misery, the preceding era will be fraught with unprecedented abundance and opportunities."

Meaning there is much to profit on before the world ends.

There is precedent here. In 2005, the US tobacco industry was charged and convicted under RICO laws, after it was proven they had been conspiring for years to deliberately lie about the effects of smoking. But being that you can't jail a corporation, nobody went to jail over the RICO conviction.

The lesson for denialists? Eventually, the the denialist conspiracy to lie big is going to become impossible to hide, and the RICO charges will follow. The spokespeople for those lies better have a corporation to hide behind when it all hits the fan.

Last edited:
It's hard to believe people still believe that global cooling err global warming err climate change, that's it, crap. I guess it's understandable because I was a believer when in school. Once I learned some science though things changed.

Forum List

Back