People ARE working

Why not have one parent working and one stay home?

Great idea. Lots of families are doing that. But here we have a ton of you guys bitching about a labor crisis and no one “wanting” to work as if staying home and raising their kids is inconvenient for you.
Agree. But my issue is that leftists want to give OPM (other people’s money) to parents to allow one to stay home and still be able to buy the house they want.

My point is that parents can elect one of them (usually mom) to stay home, especially when kids are young, and make the financial sacrifices to allow that to happen.

Take my family: with two little kids in tow, my parents bought a small home (1100 sf) that they could afford just on Dad’s income. Then, when we were 14 and 11, my mother went back to work, and with that second income they bought a larger house. They didn’t feel entitled to just get taxpayer money in the early years to enable them to have a mom stay home AND buy the larger house.

Way too much entitlement in this country, thanks to leftists.

I do not pay much attention to the participation rate unless it is a relevant piece of information. Such as here, it is relevant because there was a massive decline due to the pandemic and then it DID NOT RECOVER. That is a problem because that dip is not due to a fundamental change in productivity or society.

I would generally agree that the fewer people that must work the better society is. That is what happened over the industrial revolution. We went from a society that had to employ virtually everyone above the age of 5 just so people did not starve to death to a society where almost half do not have to work and can, instead, do something like raise a family. That is simply NOT the case here and you can see that by the simple fact we are not seeing an increase of overall quality of life for people. It is going the other direction, people have less, make less and are unable to even get the things they can afford and want.

That is a parody and is flatly incorrect.

The problem is not whether a small number of poor employees are no longer working, the problem is that when you disincentivize work you get fewer people that do it. Most of those will not be shitty employees and to reach to a personal attack on them to support your position shows your position is lacking.

Irrelevant, that is not the case here. More people are not leaving the workforce because they are financially secure enough to raise a family.

No it cannot. What you replace work with is not the reason for exiting work. The reason you stop working is because you can.

If you can because society has progressed, good. If you can because government is suppressing productivity, bad. One leads to an explosion of wealth and progress like the aftermath of the industrial revolution and the other leads to starvation and death like the aftermath of USSR's collapse.,
People have not returned to the workforce for several reasons. First, some have found that it was just not worth it. They learned to cut back expenses, and then when they no longer had to pay for childcare, commuting, and meals out, they discovered that what little bit they had left over after expenses was just not worth the time they had away from their family. Second, some of them were forced to take on a side hustle and discovered that the money they made on the side almost replaced the income they had lost. The worked odd jobs for cash, did some buying and selling on Facebook, some even threw up a You Tube channel. Millennials are some adaptive individuals, they adapted. No way in hell they are going back to the way it was before.

But now I have a story for you. A true story, that demonstrates my pay them to stay out the way theory. Years ago I worked in a furniture store, it was commission only. We used an "ups" system, which means you took turns greeting guests that came through the door. Well, the company hired this girl, she was six or seven months pregnant, and when she had guests, instead of trying to sell them, she begged. "I don't have any money, can you give me some money so I can eat for my baby". So I called a meeting with all the other sales reps. I couldn't fire her, you can imagine why. They all agreed she was, what we call, "burning ups". She was taking guests, that if one of us had them, we would probably sell them. I mean there were some legendary closers on that team. Now I live in one of the reddest districts in the country, almost all the sales people were Republicans, except for a few yankee transplants. So I suggested, lets take up a collection, pay this worthless salesperson to stay home, and we get her ups. They all thought it was a fantastic idea. Then I said, welcome to the Democratic party. Oh me and those yankees were all laughing our asses off. And those Republicans, you could see the light bulbs going off in their head.

People have not returned to the workforce for several reasons. First, some have found that it was just not worth it. They learned to cut back expenses, and then when they no longer had to pay for childcare, commuting, and meals out, they discovered that what little bit they had left over after expenses was just not worth the time they had away from their family. Second, some of them were forced to take on a side hustle and discovered that the money they made on the side almost replaced the income they had lost. The worked odd jobs for cash, did some buying and selling on Facebook, some even threw up a You Tube channel. Millennials are some adaptive individuals, they adapted. No way in hell they are going back to the way it was before.

But now I have a story for you. A true story, that demonstrates my pay them to stay out the way theory. Years ago I worked in a furniture store, it was commission only. We used an "ups" system, which means you took turns greeting guests that came through the door. Well, the company hired this girl, she was six or seven months pregnant, and when she had guests, instead of trying to sell them, she begged. "I don't have any money, can you give me some money so I can eat for my baby". So I called a meeting with all the other sales reps. I couldn't fire her, you can imagine why. They all agreed she was, what we call, "burning ups". She was taking guests, that if one of us had them, we would probably sell them. I mean there were some legendary closers on that team. Now I live in one of the reddest districts in the country, almost all the sales people were Republicans, except for a few yankee transplants. So I suggested, lets take up a collection, pay this worthless salesperson to stay home, and we get her ups. They all thought it was a fantastic idea. Then I said, welcome to the Democratic party. Oh me and those yankees were all laughing our asses off. And those Republicans, you could see the light bulbs going off in their head.

cool story Bro.

I get a huge chuckle from those of you who feel you are owed someone waiting on you. Why don't you apply for full time at those places you are crying about. Grab a tissue while you are at it.

Perhaps people don't want to make sacrifices so one can stay home. They want a much much better life than that redundancy.

Forum List

Back