Pearl Jam - Better man

Mr. Friscus

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2020
This song has been in my head recently. It's such an intimate song, a gruff opening, a wailing distortion that makes you wonder what's the point of the song... which is interrupted by a distorted guitar, trading between two chords with a piercing, soft, personal, lonesome melody. Eddie Vedder frets as he describes a tender power struggle... "Tell him" he pleads, but to no avail, she cannot express her despair. It spills over into a wandering rise in key as he arrives home without objection, she's unable to voice her concerns... until the song releases and flattens into a warm, unimpeding chorus, describing the wisdom of the situation while tragic in its subject. As soon as all makes sense and is comforting musically, we are suddenly drained back into the meak, wallowing guitar that began, a picking, isolating second verse, sitting quietly as it empoweringly accelerates in intensity, tempo, progresses in accompaniment to bass and drums, and charges towards a repeat of the first chorus, but with fanfare and encouragement for any woman in such a situation. The rest of the song feeds off this as it simultaneously harvests a bad situation with a comforting familiarity... unable to identify whether leaving him or staying is the correct action.

If you haven't heard it, here's the link:

Last edited:
One of the best things about Sirius XM is the Pearl Jam station. Some of the best written and performed music of the "Grunge" era.
"Grunge" can certainly be overrated, but it has its moments.

And this is coming from a Grunge-era guy. I'm Late Gen-X, early Millenial. I sat in my room pre-cell phone/internet with the radio on listening to pop radio after school to Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Offspring, etc.

Thank you for your post OP.

Sorry to impose an opinion here but.....I only like two songs from Pearl Jam...."Alive" and I love "Last Kiss"

Pearl Jam-Last Kiss​

"Grunge" can certainly be overrated, but it has its moments.

And this is coming from a Grunge-era guy. I'm Late Gen-X, early Millenial. I sat in my room pre-cell phone/internet with the radio on listening to pop radio after school to Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Offspring, etc.
Like every genre there's the real deal like the groups you mentioned and the wanna bees.

It's a great song. I am not a big fan of theirs or anything, but this song has total heart and understanding.

It's a great song. I am not a big fan of theirs or anything, but this song has total heart and understanding.
Post by Mr. Friscus deleted at Mr. Friscus request.

Forum List

Back