Peaceful Palestinians at it Again !!!

I'm pretty sure Israel acknowledged their mistake about using it and will refrain from using it in future confrontations

The only reason they stopped was because Israel built a fence and has taken other security measures to protect Israeli civilians !

You mean like lobbing white phosphorous at Gazan civilians?

They used that to illuminate the skies, not to injure civilians intentionally. Anybody who got hurt as a result is collateral damage.

Israel, A Light to the Nations(Isaiah 49)

White-Phosphorus-001.jpg

Palestinian civilians and medics run to safety during an Israeli strike using phosphorus shells at a UN school

I'm pretty sure Israel acknowledged their mistake about using it and will refrain from using it in future confrontations

i am not quite sure what that means, or if it mitigates anything.

I don't know how to explain it any clearer .

well, the whole thing gets pretty complicated.

for example only...

i know guys who set up claymores with a trip wire who were shocked when they found out it was illegal. stuff like that. that was a mistake.

i knew one guy though who had showed people how to set them up even though he knew they were illegal and didn't convey that info. that was a different kind of mistake.

most artillery grunts know that, except in really rare cases, using WP riunds is illegal, but they'll pop them when told.

sometimes war crimmes are unintentional mistakes but no less a war crime.

I agree , a war crime is a war crime no matter what. But I also think it's important to look at the intention of the act instead of JUST looking at the end result

I agree , a war crime is a war crime no matter what. But I also think it's important to look at the intention of the act instead of JUST looking at the end result

the pathways to hell...

there is no justification to use rounds of that nature in an urban battlefield with civilians present. it is a war crime.

it doesn't matter. israel got away with it.

the pathways to hell...

there is no justification to use rounds of that nature in an urban battlefield with civilians present. it is a war crime.

it doesn't matter. israel got away with it.

I already told you what they used it for . They have no intentions on intentionally burning civilians . What good does that do them ?

No sense in using white Phosphorus as an illuminating round during daylight

i am not quite sure what that means, or if it mitigates anything.

WELL, I read they used it in November of 2012 in Gaza too. Israel does not listen to criticism about her human rights violations.

No they didn't use it in 2012. Stop lying.
Do you enjoy reading lies about Israel?

No sense in using white Phosphorus as an illuminating round during daylight
Nor at night, WP is not an illuminating source and in 20 years in the Infantry I never saw any kind of WP rounds used at night. It is used basically as a marker for artillery forward observers and secondarily as a smoke screen. And Air Force FACs use WP rockets to mark bombing and strafing runs. Using WP against against troops in the open is not illegal as far as I know but using it knowingly against civilians is probably a war crime. I never saw it used in a civilian area by US troops. However the Battalion of Vietnamese I advised for a year saw it differently.

I'm pretty sure they did not acknowledge their "mistake" until their feet were to the fire with evidence that they had used it - they denied it, then claimed it was used only in very limited ways (to create smoke) and then finally, were forced to admit it was used in dense civilian areas.

I'm pretty sure they did not acknowledge their "mistake" until their feet were to the fire with evidence that they had used it - they denied it, then claimed it was used only in very limited ways (to create smoke) and then finally, were forced to admit it was used in dense civilian areas.

Its not Israels fault that Hamas militants operate in dense civilian area

They used that to illuminate the skies, not to injure civilians intentionally. Anybody who got hurt as a result is collateral damage.

you never were a soldier, were you? i was a master gunner in the united states army field artillery at the battalion level and at the division level and as soon as i saw the pic of WP rounds being fired i knew they was being used illegally.

secondly, you illuminate yourself as well. now if i have some insurrectionaries on their own familiar turf who knows where to hide and has superior numbers in all probability, it is to my advantage if i am going in to attack them to be as concealed as possible.

besides, they were using them in daylight as well.

I see no problem with using WP to either illuminate or create a smoke screen. I agree the line is crossed when it is intentionally used to Incinerate either Combatants or Civilians. There is no excuse for that.

I have serious issues with ever using WP in any urban setting. For one thing, they could have used the far less lethal smoke shells to create dense smoke if that had been their intention. White phosphorous burns a long time and can not be put out by traditional methods. It cause tremendous suffering as it burns and the only reason to use it in a densely populated civilian area is if you don't care what happens to the civilians. It's horrible stuff and if alternatives were available to provide smoke I utterly fail to see why they were not used :(

Forum List

Back