...PBS/Frontline and that Insurrection brouhaha...

Trump was leading... then votes for Biden mysteriously appeared after midnight.
They did not "mysteriously appear". They were absentee and early voting ballots that had always been there UNCOUNTED until then.

That was HOW the Republican legislatures set it up. Those votes could NOT be counted until after the polls shut down.

Iā€™ve watched the news coverage over the January 6th ā€˜eventsā€™ at the Capitol closely.
Have posted occasionally on this venue about the people and the alleged transgression by them.

So when I saw this TV documentary on PBS, put together by Frontline & ProPublica I was intrigued.
I watched it and was impressed.

I posted a recent thread about it, but, because Iā€™m a newbie and failed to follow common-sense protocols of the site, the thread was closed.

Still, the topic itself is still of importance. I bring it up again as in my opinion it remains a topic of important public interest and appropriate for political debate. Hopefully, Iā€™ll do it right and the thread will offer an opportunity for all to demonstrate their own personal opinion on January 6thā€™s importance.

January 6th will be one of those events that will long resonate with Americans for generationā€¦like Kennedy being shot, like the Challenger explosion, like 9/11.
A mob of partisans attacked the seat of our government, the ā€˜Peoplesā€™s Houseā€™, in attempt to disrupt or reverse a constitutionally mandated step in our sacred democratic process of choosing our leadership.

Therefore, because I have long admired PBS and the Frontline productions I was keenly interested in their perspective on January 6th.
I was not disappointed in their treatment.

From the Tea Party movement, to Birtherisms, to Charlottesville, to the Capitol takeover in Lansing, Michigan to the violence at the Capitol in January, Frontline shows us a thru-line.
A narrative that is credible and understandable.

I strongly recommend that readers here find the PBS documentary and watch it:
Here is what one reviewer said about it:

ā€œLaw enforcement officials might have been caught off guard by the assault on the U.S. Capitol in January, but ā€œAmerican Insurrectionā€ makes it painfully clear that the pieces for the attack had been put in play years before Donald Trump told his supporters to ā€œtake backā€ their country in Washington D.C. Part an examination of the various extremist groups that gained prominence during Trumpā€™s presidency and part a condemnation of the forces that have aided and abetted them, PBSā€™ ā€œAmerican Insurrectionā€ offers a wholly compelling portrait of how the nationā€™s most notorious fascist organizations operate and recruit members.

The 90-minute documentary, an investigative collaboration between Frontline, ProPublica, and the UC Berkeley Investigative Reporting Program, follows journalist A.C. Thompson as he reports on some of the nationā€™s most violent incidents over the last several yearsā€¦.ā€
The demleftist party is so pathetic it has to have its own taxpayer funded ā€œnewsā€ program.

Trump was leading... then votes for Biden mysteriously appeared after midnight.
They did not "mysteriously appear". They were absentee and early voting ballots that had always been there UNCOUNTED until then.
That was HOW the Republican legislatures set it up. Those votes could NOT be counted until after the polls shut down.
The fraud was so bad countless lawsuits were filed. We've never seen anything like this in our history.

Iā€™ve watched the news coverage over the January 6th ā€˜eventsā€™ at the Capitol closely.
Have posted occasionally on this venue about the people and the alleged transgression by them.

So when I saw this TV documentary on PBS, put together by Frontline & ProPublica I was intrigued.

I posted a recent thread about it, but, because Iā€™m a newbie and failed to follow common-sense protocols of the site, the thread was closed.

Still, the topic itself is still of importance. I bring it up again as in my opinion it remains a topic of important public interest and appropriate for political debate. Hopefully, Iā€™ll do it right and the thread will offer an opportunity for all to demonstrate their own personal opinion on January 6thā€™s importance.

January 6th will be one of those events that will long resonate with Americans for generationā€¦like Kennedy being shot, like the Challenger explosion, like 9/11.
A mob of partisans attacked the seat of our government, the ā€˜Peoplesā€™s Houseā€™, in attempt to disrupt or reverse a constitutionally mandated step in our sacred democratic process of choosing our leadership.

Therefore, because I have long admired PBS and the Frontline productions I was keenly interested in their perspective on January 6th.

From the Tea Party movement, to Birtherisms, to Charlottesville, to the Capitol takeover in Lansing, Michigan to the violence at the Capitol in January, Frontline shows us a thru-line.

ā€œLaw enforcement officials might have been caught off guard by the assault on the U.S. Capitol in January, but ā€œAmerican Insurrectionā€ makes it painfully clear that the pieces for the attack had been put in play years before Donald Trump told his supporters to ā€œtake backā€ their country in Washington D.C. Part an examination of the various extremist groups that gained prominence during Trumpā€™s presidency and part a condemnation of the forces that have aided and abetted them, PBSā€™ ā€œAmerican Insurrectionā€ offers a wholly compelling portrait of how the nationā€™s most notorious fascist organizations operate and recruit members.

The 90-minute documentary, an investigative collaboration between Frontline, ProPublica, and the UC Berkeley Investigative Reporting Program, follows journalist A.C. Thompson as he reports on some of the nationā€™s most violent incidents over the last several yearsā€¦.ā€
I love Frontline a lot. They put in the work, and let the documentary be as long as it has to be. As to Jan 6, it is very important. Are you an armchair historian of sorts?

I love Frontline a lot. They put in the work, and let the documentary be as long as it has to be. As to Jan 6, it is very important. Are you an armchair historian of sorts?
Yeah, that was a good one but it wasn't one of their better ones. Whenever this guy is on there, they go crazy with the close-ups on him and drone shots. I don't mind the drone shots so much as I do the constant flashing to the interviewer.

Well, as long as poster 'carthistic' sparked up this previous thread, I thought last night's news article in The Washington Post had relevance.

From WaPo, posted last night at 7:55pm to subscribers newsfeeds:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Not patriots, not political prisoners ā€” U.S. judges slam Capitol riot defendants at sentencing"

"A federal judge rejected claims that detained defendants in the Jan. 6 Capitol breach are ā€œpolitical prisonersā€ or that riot participants acted out of patriotism before sentencing a Michigan man to six months in prison Wednesday.

U.S. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson of Washington said Karl Dresch, 41, of Calumet, Mich, was held because of his actions, not his political views, and that others who joined the attack on Congress as it met to confirm the results of the 2020 presidential election could face prison time.

ā€œHe was not a political prisoner,ā€ Jackson said. ā€œWe are not here today because he supported former president Trump .ā€‰.ā€‰. He was arrested because he was an enthusiastic participant in an effort to subvert and undo the electoral process.ā€

ā€œā€¦ā€¦ in a string of plea and sentencing hearings in the riot cases, federal judges appointed by presidents of both parties condemned such claims. Some have gone further to challenge U.S. prosecutorsā€™ acceptance of misdemeanor plea deals for individuals involved in ā€œterrorizing members of Congress,ā€ forcing the evacuation of lawmakers and violence that authorities have led to several deaths and assaults on nearly 140 police officers.

In Dreschā€™s case, Jackson said he has the right to vote for whomever he wants, ā€œbut so does everyone else. Your vote doesnā€™t count any more than anyone elseā€™s. You donā€™t get to cancel them out and call for a war because you donā€™t like the results of the election.ā€

The judge continued, ā€œYou called yourself and the others patriots, but thatā€™s not patriotism. Patriotism is loyalty to country, loyalty to the Constitution, not loyalty to a single head of state. Thatā€™s the tyranny we rejected on July 4th of 1776.ā€

Judges at sentencings have been delivering a cold splash of reality to defendants, including some who say they were lied to by Trump or led astray by right-wing commentators or social media. So far, about 30 of more than 550 defendants charged have pleaded guilty, and six have been sentenced.

Dresch had a 2013 felony conviction for eluding police in a 145-mph vehicle chase that spanned two states. And despite a ban on felon possession of weapons, law enforcement searches of his Upper Peninsula home on Jan. 19 turned up a Russian SKS rifle, two shotguns, a Glock pistol and more than 100 rounds of ammunition, prosecutors said."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So there is that.
That mob attacking the Capitol on the 6th was filled, in my opinion, with society's losers, grievance-filled misfits, and ne'er-do-wells.
The short biographical thumbnails we've seeing about them supports that view. Not every single one, of course.......but those uber supporters of "the Steal" by and large fall into the 'society's dimwits' category.

And that's a pity because those dimwits have done much to label Conservativism, Patriotism, Republicanism as anti-American and delusional.

Hate to be harsh. But it is what it is.

Well, as long as poster 'carthistic' sparked up this previous thread, I thought last night's news article in The Washington Post had relevance.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Not patriots, not political prisoners ā€” U.S. judges slam Capitol riot defendants at sentencing"

"A federal judge rejected claims that detained defendants in the Jan. 6 Capitol breach are ā€œpolitical prisonersā€ or that riot participants acted out of patriotism before sentencing a Michigan man to six months in prison Wednesday.

U.S. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson of Washington said Karl Dresch, 41, of Calumet, Mich, was held because of his actions, not his political views, and that others who joined the attack on Congress as it met to confirm the results of the 2020 presidential election could face prison time.

ā€œHe was not a political prisoner,ā€ Jackson said. ā€œWe are not here today because he supported former president Trump .ā€‰.ā€‰. He was arrested because he was an enthusiastic participant in an effort to subvert and undo the electoral process.ā€

ā€œā€¦ā€¦ in a string of plea and sentencing hearings in the riot cases, federal judges appointed by presidents of both parties condemned such claims. Some have gone further to challenge U.S. prosecutorsā€™ acceptance of misdemeanor plea deals for individuals involved in ā€œterrorizing members of Congress,ā€ forcing the evacuation of lawmakers and violence that authorities have led to several deaths and assaults on nearly 140 police officers.

In Dreschā€™s case, Jackson said he has the right to vote for whomever he wants, ā€œbut so does everyone else. Your vote doesnā€™t count any more than anyone elseā€™s. You donā€™t get to cancel them out and call for a war because you donā€™t like the results of the election.ā€

The judge continued, ā€œYou called yourself and the others patriots, but thatā€™s not patriotism. Patriotism is loyalty to country, loyalty to the Constitution, not loyalty to a single head of state. Thatā€™s the tyranny we rejected on July 4th of 1776.ā€

Judges at sentencings have been delivering a cold splash of reality to defendants, including some who say they were lied to by Trump or led astray by right-wing commentators or social media. So far, about 30 of more than 550 defendants charged have pleaded guilty, and six have been sentenced.

Dresch had a 2013 felony conviction for eluding police in a 145-mph vehicle chase that spanned two states. And despite a ban on felon possession of weapons, law enforcement searches of his Upper Peninsula home on Jan. 19 turned up a Russian SKS rifle, two shotguns, a Glock pistol and more than 100 rounds of ammunition, prosecutors said."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So there is that.
That mob attacking the Capitol on the 6th was filled, in my opinion, with society's losers, grievance-filled misfits, and ne'er-do-wells.
The short biographical thumbnails we've seeing about them supports that view. Not every single one, of course.......but those uber supporters of "the Steal" by and large fall into the 'society's dimwits' category.

And that's a pity because those dimwits have done much to label Conservativism, Patriotism, Republicanism as anti-American and delusional.

Amy Berman Jackson

Nuff' said

Oh is this program about the January 6th assassination attempts against AOC and Nancy Pelosi?
I just had a thread closed for an "Unclean OP"?????? (by willhaftawait)
WTF is that? I had a link and a poll and personal content.

Responding to your post, there were no assassination attempts.

So there is that.

Thanks for the article. That the jan 6 people are stupid is obvious, I think people underestimate the petty bourgeoise aspect- IE, lots of small business types.

I called it on day one...
Eventually the Supreme Court would be tossed under the bus. You guys are so predictable.
Some of them deserve it. I'm all for a change that let's a president dump a judge he appointed if that judge makes bad decisions.

They weren't caught off guard, they intentionally kept the Capitol police understaffed for the day.....even with the offer of national guard troops to help.......anything from PBS is crap.........as Kurt Schlicter pointed out, this was barely a frat party gone bad, it wasn't an insurrection......the democrats are exploiting this as their Reichstag fire...

You do know that the majority of the Michigan guys who said they wanted to kidnap Whitmer were on the FBI payroll..right?

Some of them deserve it. I'm all for a change that let's a president dump a judge he appointed if that judge makes bad decisions.
So Supreme court appointment approved by the Senate, basically become patronage jobs at the pleasure of anybody of any party, elected president?
I am pretty sure you haven't thought this through.

New Topics

Forum List

Back