Zone1 Paying Reparations for the Past

The opposition to black reparations is based on sheer racist hatred. Precedents have been set as other groups who have been harmed by the government have received reparations. As for the tired worn out excuse of “why should I pay for something I did not do,” here is an example of reparations made in modern times for things done by past generations:

I am quite sure no one living in 1980 was alive when the U.S. government made the Fort Laramie treaty with the Sioux Nation or were participants in Custers violation of that treaty. Nor were they alive when President Grant decided it was OK to let settlers and people prospecting for gold tresspass into land promised to the Sioux thereby violating the treaty. No one in 1980 was alive when the U.S. government decided to take the land from the Sioux by military force. No one in 1980 was alive when the U.S. government decided to cut off supplies they promised the Sioux as condition for their surrender after whipping the U.S. Army at The Battle of Little Bighorn. But in 1980, the government of the United States decided reparations were due to the Sioux Nation for what was done to them in the 1800’s. They awarded the Sioux nation 105 million dollars. Now to our Sioux Nation brothers and sisters, let me say that money is just a pittance of what you are truly owed, but my point here is to render the excuses made in opposition to reparations for blacks to what it is, the racist refusal to take responsibility for what this government has done to black citizens of this nation.

United States v. Sioux Nation of Indians :: 448 U.S. 371 (1980) :: Justia US Supreme Court Center, United States v. Sioux Nation of Indians, 448 U.S. 371 (1980)

When mentioning situations like the one cited above, I get told how the government made treaties with the First Nations and how treaties are not reparations. Inevitably there is always one person who calls themselves being a smart aleck who will ask me to show any treaties blacks made with the government. This dumbing down of our culture is the result of listening to victimhood radio, better known as right wing talk radio.

The Webster’s definition of reparations: a repairing or keeping in repair, b. reparations plural : REPAIRS 2a: the act of making amends, offering expiation, or giving satisfaction for a wrong or injury; b: something done or given as amends or satisfaction, 3: the payment of damages : INDEMNIFICATION specifically : compensation in money or materials payable by a defeated nation for damages to or expenditures sustained by another nation as a result of hostilities with the defeated nation. The treaties made to First Nations set the precedent for American government payment of reparations. The government has consistently paid citizens of the First Nations reparations although the truth of the matter is that there will NEVER, EVER be enough United States currency printed to provide the proper reparations the First Nations deserve. Still whatever feeble effort that has been made has also been done in recent times to repay for things no one today was alive do do. Therefore the opposition to black reparations based on that argument is without merit.
How much reparation money do you think I owe you?

More importantly is how are you going to collect it from me?

We are allowed to shoot thieves here in Florida.

The problem with this mumbo jumbo is the fact that blacks who have endured the effects of Jim Crown and the people today who grew up during jim crow who make laws and policies in our current system have suffered from continued violations and the refusal of whites to follow equal opportunity laws.

You really don't have an argument. But you'll keep trying.
The argument is simple

You have not been harmed by slavery and are not entitled to money as compensation

The same people who funded the reparations Native American tribes have received for crimes committed before you were born.

So the taxpayers. You want me and everyone else to give you free money. We already do that. It's called the welfare state.

Again, the end of slavery did not end white atrocities against blacks. There was no war to end slavery. America didn't pay shit to the people that created the wealth that began making America the wealthiest country on earth. Again, you really have no argument, and it gets old repeating that reparations are not just for slavery to a bunch of people who want to play silly games.

“From its inception, the country’s legal foundations, political architecture, and civic fabric were designed to privilege the well-being of those who declared themselves white at the expense of Native Americans, African Americans, and other people of color. Generation after generation, as the baldest tactics were challenged, white America creatively renewed and reworked this pact to protect ourselves from political disempowerment, economic uncertainty, legal jeopardy, and physical violence. When the weight of the blood spilled by over 750,000 Americans shattered outright slavery, white America picked up the shards, fashioning them into a ramshackle but effective system of sharecropping, lynching, convict leasing, segregationist Jim Crow laws, restrictive immigration policies, appeals to “states’ rights,” voter suppression, and mass incarceration.” -Robert P. Jones

We cannot discuss what women are owed because white women were complicit in slavery and apartheid. On top of that, women who got divorced have been getting alimony payments for years. Those are reparations. I mean you guys think you're making logical arguments but you aren't.

Please pick a side and stick with it. Did the South fight the war in order to keep their slaves? Was the South Carolina flag a symbol of the fight to keep slavery? Or was the war about secession? Either the war was about slavery or it was not. You can't have it both ways.

No. This is a case against the government.
Nonsense. The government can only spend OUR money. So getting reparations from the government is getting them to give out our money. For what? For shit we never did; done to people who weren’t you.

It’s not hatred of any race. It’s disdain for irrationality.

We heard the slogan, “Make America Great Again” (MAGA) from 2016 to 2020. Millions of working-class whites purchased red baseball caps, proudly sporting them on their heads. M.A.G.A refers to a return to days right-wing whites believed America grew and prospered based on hard work and merit. The leader of this movement was a man born in 1946. This is important because most people in national leadership today were born shortly after World War II and grew up in the prosperous aftermath. They were children while their parents availed themselves of the massive government assistance primarily given to whites. They grew up in racially segregated suburbs in homes their parents paid for with the help of guaranteed loans backed by the government.

Their parents, primarily fathers, were able to take advantage of all the government benefits from the G.I. bill. They watched the government enact a massive infrastructure project that has created permanent jobs in all fifty states called the interstate highway system. As children during that era, they were oblivious to the enormous government assistance whites received. As they grew up during this era and the so-called American work ethic was preached about, they saw only the progress and grew up to believe it was due to rugged individualism and earned by merit.

These are the people telling us today that government cannot help us. And you descend from these people talking about how blacks should not get reparations.

Are you suggesting that GI Bill benefits didn't apply to black veterans? This is the first I've heard this. Tell us more.

As for segregated suburbs, I'm glad to hear you're finally coming around against segregation.

Will you speak out against black only schools and the harm they do to black children? Will you speak out against black only activities at mixed race schools and the harm they do to black and white children?

This is no troll thread. Those like you don't seem to understand the importance of this issue. You guys dismiss the last 160 years as if everything was OK. You guys seem to believe that words on paper are automatically followed. Maybe that's how it is for whites, but that doesn't happen for us. And I do think it's time you guys faced this instead of making these wack arguments that do not make sense.
Nobody dismisses the past 160 years as being OK. We dismiss it as being 160 years ago. Tell us what direct harm came to you as a result of racism today and you might get a different response - but make it real, not theoretical consequences of indirect activities by unnamed or general white people.

Are you suggesting that GI Bill benefits didn't apply to black veterans? This is the first I've heard this. Tell us more.

As for segregated suburbs, I'm glad to hear you're finally coming around against segregation.

Will you speak out against black only schools and the harm they do to black children? Will you speak out against black only activities at mixed race schools and the harm they do to black and white children?

I find it sad how disingenuous people like you are.

Black only schools do not happen because blacks decided to segregate themselves from white people. I won't be speaking out on black only activities created because blacks get ignored. Again those like you come up with these false equivalences because you don't research the issues. All you do is try to look for something to use in order to continue to deny the real problem and to try making blacks into racists to dismiss our legitimate grievances.

Yes, I am saying that millions of blacks were denied GI benefits after WW2 at minimum. My father was one of them. It is a matter of record and this goes to show the lack of research you have done on matters of race/racism.

Erin Blakemore, How the GI Bill's Promise Was Denied to a Million Black WWII Veterans, How the GI Bill's Promise Was Denied to a Million Black WWII Veterans, June 21, 2019
Brandon Weber, How African American WWII Veterans Were Scorned By the G.I. Bill, The Progressive, November 10, 2017, How African American WWII Veterans Were Scorned By the G.I. Bill

Nobody dismisses the past 160 years as being OK. We dismiss it as being 160 years ago. Tell us what direct harm came to you as a result of racism today and you might get a different response - but make it real, not theoretical consequences of indirect activities by unnamed or general white people.
You have been shown real consequences of racist public policy. We live based on a document ratified 235 years ago. So you don't get to dismiss things from 160 years ago or ask people to show you something because you don't want to believe what we are saying.

You have been shown real consequences of racist public policy. We live based on a document ratified 235 years ago. So you don't get to dismiss things from 160 years ago or ask people to show you something because you don't want to believe what we are saying.
You don’t get to tell us to worry about things from long ago over which we had no control and for which we have no blame.

The Constitution is still in effect. Slavery isn’t. The present day effects of past discrimination have been largely stamped out by law. I of course agree that there are still some lingering effects. And the time has come for you to step-up and do that heavy lifting. In the interim, all your constant bellyaching about the travesty of racism is undercut by your own anti-white views.

I find it sad how disingenuous people like you are.

Black only schools do not happen because blacks decided to segregate themselves from white people. I won't be speaking out on black only activities created because blacks get ignored. Again those like you come up with these false equivalences because you don't research the issues. All you do is try to look for something to use in order to continue to deny the real problem and to try making blacks into racists to dismiss our legitimate grievances.

Yes, I am saying that millions of blacks were denied GI benefits after WW2 at minimum. My father was one of them. It is a matter of record and this goes to show the lack of research you have done on matters of race/racism.

Erin Blakemore, How the GI Bill's Promise Was Denied to a Million Black WWII Veterans, How the GI Bill's Promise Was Denied to a Million Black WWII Veterans, June 21, 2019
Brandon Weber, How African American WWII Veterans Were Scorned By the G.I. Bill, The Progressive, November 10, 2017, How African American WWII Veterans Were Scorned By the G.I. Bill
Actually, black only schools exist because black communities asked for them to exist. I didn't provide those quotes because most of those are charter schools and I didn't want to get into that discussion; I knew you'd object to the idea of charter schools because you object to teaching black children to read and write.

I do research issues. Your accusation that if I don't know everything you know about racism means I don't care is ludicrous. I told you I hadn't heard that blacks weren't eligible for the GI Bill and asked you to give more information. Not knowing something is not racist.

But now you've provided some links about blacks not getting the GI Bill and now I know you lied about that.

The very first story in your first link is about a guy who tried to buy a house in Levittown, NY using the GI Bill. Actually, the fact that the GI Bill was involved was completely meaningless in the story but since the author was trying to make up a fake news story about blacks being denied the GI Bill, they made the black veteran's financing choice the key to the story. But, as the author openly admits in the story, the GI Bill was absolutely a financing option for the veteran. It was racist home buying policies of the builder of the Levittown community that denied the veteran the opportunity to buy the house. That's terrible that it happened but it wasn't the GI Bill that did it.

Next, the author talks about black veterans wanting to go to school in the trades under the GI Bill. Sadly, terribly even, black students weren't allowed by the schools to take the training programs in the trades. Nothing in the GI Bill prevented blacks from using the GI Bill for any educational program available to whites. When black vets didn't get into those programs, the racism was in the schools, not the GI Bill.

Then the author talks about Congressman John Rankin, claiming perhaps correctly that Rankin was a racist, voting against a $20 dollar a week unemployment for a year for veterans. It makes the assumption that Rankin hated blacks so much that he harmed every single returning veteran, including white veterans, by denying them $20 a week in unemployment, just so that he, Rankin, could deny it to black vets.

Because everything that harms black people, even if it harms every other race equally, is done out of hatred for black people. For instance, the holocaust was designed to kill black people. There were twenty blacks in the concentration camps and one black killed, "euthanized". So the six million Jews killed were just cover for the German's hatred of black people. Everything evil is hatred of black people.

Again, the end of slavery did not end white atrocities against blacks. There was no war to end slavery. America didn't pay shit to the people that created the wealth that began making America the wealthiest country on earth. Again, you really have no argument, and it gets old repeating that reparations are not just for slavery to a bunch of people who want to play silly games.

“From its inception, the country’s legal foundations, political architecture, and civic fabric were designed to privilege the well-being of those who declared themselves white at the expense of Native Americans, African Americans, and other people of color. Generation after generation, as the baldest tactics were challenged, white America creatively renewed and reworked this pact to protect ourselves from political disempowerment, economic uncertainty, legal jeopardy, and physical violence. When the weight of the blood spilled by over 750,000 Americans shattered outright slavery, white America picked up the shards, fashioning them into a ramshackle but effective system of sharecropping, lynching, convict leasing, segregationist Jim Crow laws, restrictive immigration policies, appeals to “states’ rights,” voter suppression, and mass incarceration.” -Robert P. Jones

We cannot discuss what women are owed because white women were complicit in slavery and apartheid. On top of that, women who got divorced have been getting alimony payments for years. Those are reparations. I mean you guys think you're making logical arguments but you aren't.
Did the government give white women reparations from the tax payers!

The argument is simple

You have not been harmed by slavery and are not entitled to money as compensation
The OP showed you a case where the existing government paid reparations for past harm. You have no argument and so take your "I'm white and I say so attitude," and...

Actually, black only schools exist because black communities asked for them to exist. I didn't provide those quotes because most of those are charter schools and I didn't want to get into that discussion; I knew you'd object to the idea of charter schools because you object to teaching black children to read and write.

I do research issues. Your accusation that if I don't know everything you know about racism means I don't care is ludicrous. I told you I hadn't heard that blacks weren't eligible for the GI Bill and asked you to give more information. Not knowing something is not racist.

But now you've provided some links about blacks not getting the GI Bill and now I know you lied about that.

The very first story in your first link is about a guy who tried to buy a house in Levittown, NY using the GI Bill. Actually, the fact that the GI Bill was involved was completely meaningless in the story but since the author was trying to make up a fake news story about blacks being denied the GI Bill, they made the black veteran's financing choice the key to the story. But, as the author openly admits in the story, the GI Bill was absolutely a financing option for the veteran. It was racist home buying policies of the builder of the Levittown community that denied the veteran the opportunity to buy the house. That's terrible that it happened but it wasn't the GI Bill that did it.

Next, the author talks about black veterans wanting to go to school in the trades under the GI Bill. Sadly, terribly even, black students weren't allowed by the schools to take the training programs in the trades. Nothing in the GI Bill prevented blacks from using the GI Bill for any educational program available to whites. When black vets didn't get into those programs, the racism was in the schools, not the GI Bill.

Then the author talks about Congressman John Rankin, claiming perhaps correctly that Rankin was a racist, voting against a $20 dollar a week unemployment for a year for veterans. It makes the assumption that Rankin hated blacks so much that he harmed every single returning veteran, including white veterans, by denying them $20 a week in unemployment, just so that he, Rankin, could deny it to black vets.

Because everything that harms black people, even if it harms every other race equally, is done out of hatred for black people. For instance, the holocaust was designed to kill black people. There were twenty blacks in the concentration camps and one black killed, "euthanized". So the six million Jews killed were just cover for the German's hatred of black people. Everything evil is hatred of black people.
Go study history. Everything you say here is incorrect. Blacks were excluded from the G.I Bill. That's what happened. Nobody is goinh to play your game of I can't see the words or its the schools fault. Whites were not denied bebefits, blacks were. That's what happened and your denial or looking for reasons to deny doesn't change that.

Rankin did that. But what you fail to understand is that Rankin and southern democrats were able to get iit so that occupations primarily worked by blacks would be ineligible for unemployment. You want so desperately to tell me what I am saying didn't happen that you fail to understand that I had relatives who served that were denied benefits and that I have studied and researched these things.

Last edited:
Please pick a side and stick with it. Did the South fight the war in order to keep their slaves? Was the South Carolina flag a symbol of the fight to keep slavery? Or was the war about secession? Either the war was about slavery or it was not. You can't have it both ways.
There was no south. The confederacy was a separate nation. The United States did not fight to end slavery. The United States fought to restore the union.

Go study history. Everything you say here is incorrect. Blacks were excluded from the G.I Bill. That's what happened. Nobody is goinh to play your game of I can't see the words or its the schools fault. Whites were not denied bebefits, blacks were. That's what happened and your denial or looking for reasons to deny doesn't change that.

Rankin did that. But what you fail to understand is that Rankin and southern democrats were able to get iit so that occupations primarily worked by blacks would be ineligible for unemployment. You want so desperately to tell me what I am saying didn't happen that you fail to understand that I had relatives who served that were denied benefits and that I have studied and researched these things.

I asked you to provide some information about blacks being denied the GI Bill and you did. But not a thing in the link you provided showed where any black person was denied benefits under the GI Bill. When you lie like that you really harm the cause of black people trying to end racism. You're really a fraud on the scale of Jussie Smollett - probably even more of a fraud since he only, to our knowledge, did it once.

The article you provided did not say Rankin blocked the unemployment only for blacks or jobs that blacks held. You're lying. Or, at a minimum, you failed to make your case. If you're going to make the claim then you should have done some research in gaining what you're claiming as your knowledge. If you researched it then just share your research. Or admit you're Jussie Smollett's cousin and a liar.

The OP showed you a case where the existing government paid reparations for past harm
And while not agreeing to reparations for anyone, I explained to you why the Indians have a stronger case than you do

Forum List

Back