Paul Fussell — “Thank God for the Atom Bomb”

Yes, we see that you could care less if these men died as POWs, that they were tortured and starved by the Japanese.
You call the Japanese who perpetrated these crimes, innocent, have you not any morals?

View attachment 582150

This men remember me to my father when he came back from Russia. He died young. And by the way: Many German soldiers died in the pow camps of the USA on hunger after world war 2.

Last edited:
elektra

What your blind nationalism doesn't like to see are the blessed and holy men and women of other nations and the criminal perverts of your own nation.

use subtitle "English (Vereinigte Staaten)"

Last edited:
Mercantilism is really a very strange form of philosophy. Do you really think humanity and justice depend on the taxes Donald Trump never paid - although he had been an elected "first" (German: "Fürst") for some years - or is a man like him not just simple only a devilish traitor of the values of the western world?
You are angry about someone else's life? What they pay or do not pay, imagined by yourself?

Trump has not paid any tax? You pay more tax than Trump?

How thin a thread must a fool grasp to find fault in those that are good

elektra

What your blind nationalism don't likes to see are the blessed and holy men and women of other nations and the criminal perverts of your own nation.

Says the bigot, stereotyping me, without knowing me. I have spent five years of my life in Brazil. I have spent a year in Brazil. I have spent 2 years in other countries, Argentina, Spain, England, Canada.

Nope, a bigot sees evil in others, which is the evil is in his own heart.

Human nature knows no time period, is not isolated to a single culture, human nature is not contained in one race or the borders of a nation. And, neither is ignorance, bigotry, and hatefulness, which the immoral such as yourself display.

elektra

What your blind nationalism doesn't like to see are the blessed and holy men and women of other nations and the criminal perverts of your own nation.

use subtitle "English (Vereinigte Staaten)"

I will say no thanks to Beethoven arranged by Wagner, the german anti Semitic composer

wagner.jpg

You are angry about someone else's life? What they pay or do not pay, imagined by yourself?

Trump has not paid any tax? You pay more tax than Trump?

How thin a thread must a fool grasp to find fault in those that are good

Aha. You are lost in his narcissistic personality disorder where lies and truth are loyalty to the person Donald Trump.

Says the bigot, stereotyping me, without knowing me. I have spent five years of my life in Brazil. I have spent a year in Brazil. I have spent 2 years in other countries, Argentina, Spain, England, Canada.

Nope, a bigot sees evil in others, which is the evil is in his own heart.

Human nature knows no time period, is not isolated to a single culture, human nature is not contained in one race or the borders of a nation. And, neither is ignorance, bigotry, and hatefulness, which the immoral such as yourself display.
Do you use drugs?

For example said general Patton about German Pows: „I am also opposed to sending PW’s to work as slaves in foreign lands [in particular, to France] where many will be starved to death.“

Some informations:

Last edited:
LeMay had the B-29s remove their guns because he moved to bombing at night to reduce casualties and gain accuracy by bombing at low altitude, NOT because the Japanese interceptors were impotent. The “survivors” interviewed weren’t the militarists who were running Japan when the nukes were dropped. The Air Force always overestimated the results of bombing, it promised that daylight strategic bombing would knock Germany out of the war in short order. It didn’t. They also claimed that they could force the North Vietnamese to surrender and were wrong again as they were in Korea.
The Japanese has thousands of suicide boats hidden to attack the landing craft and ships of the invasion forces divers prepared to use suicide charges on landing craft, tens of thousands of Kamikazes aircraft hidden and waiting.
The Japanese had no intention of surrendering, they were prepared to fight to the last man woman and child for their “honor” rather than being disgraced by surrendering. Look at their attitude towards western military and civilians who surrendered to them for an example of what they thought of surrender to an enemy. To the Japanese a person who surrendered rather than dying was less than human.

Repeating debunked myths does not make them true. First off, LeMay removed the machine guns because the bombing raids were losing so few planes due to Japan's pitifully weak air defenses. How can you not know this? Hoyt:

General LeMay called his wing commanders to meet at his Quonset hut headquarters on Guam. He showed them the results of the [February 26] Tokyo firebomb raid. . . . His XXI Bomber Command was going to switch to night raids.​
Moreover, they were going to change their entire tactics. No more high-altitude raids. They would go in low, 5,000 to 6,000 feet, and the crews would be reduced to save weight for more bombs. . . . Japanese anti-aircraft defenses were nothing like the German, LeMay knew from his European Theater experience. He anticipated losses due to flak would be only 5 percent. . . .​
Only two aircraft had been lost to flak to date because the Japanese relied on searchlights and radar, while the German flak batteries were controlled electronically. . . .​
What about fighters? Somebody asked.
That would not be a problem. The Japanese had only two groups of night fighters in all the home islands, LeMay said. “That’s why I’m sending in the B-29s without machine guns or ammunition.” (Edwin Hoyt, Inferno: The Fire Bombing of Japan, New York: Madison Books, 2000, Kindle Edition, locs. 231-243)​

Two, by April 1945, nearly all of Japan's top civilian leaders, including Hirohito, wanted to surrender. This has been so well documented that it is amazing that you would get on a public board and claim that "the Japanese had no intention of surrendering." Good grief, that is inexcusable fiction given what we've known for at least two decades now. The whole reason that Hirohito and Kido engineered Tojo's forced resignation was to get a more moderate prime minister who would help them end the war, and in a few months they got just that person in Admiral Suzuki, who played a crucial role in overcoming the militarists' opposition to surrender. How can anyone who claims to be a serious researcher on this subject not know this stuff?

Three, as for your pathetic exaggerations about Japan's military capability to repel an invasion, they are just laughable. On what planet did Japan have "thousands of suicide boats" and "tens of thousands of kamikaze aircraft" ready to repel an invasion?

Japan's total number of military aircraft of any kind by mid-1945 was about 9,000, and many of those aircraft were not fit to be called "military" in any meaningful sense of the word, not to mention the fact that Japan was so low on fuel that they were training new pilots using movies instead of actual air training. Where in the devil do you get the claim that Japan had "tens of thousands" of kamikaze planes available?

And "thousands of suicide boats"???!!! Not on this planet. And, pray tell, what fuel would those alleged thousands of boats have used? Who would have piloted them? How would they have even gotten near a U.S. Navy ship that had even minimal weaponry? The Japanese navy was virtually non-existent by early 1945, as was Japan's merchant sea force, especially in the waters around Japan. Where do you get this figure of "thousands of suicide boats"? This dubious figure must be heavily counting small fishing boats and other small commercial vessels, which would have been easily and quickly blown out of the water if they had tried to approach even a smaller-sized American destroyer, much less a heavy cruiser, a battleship, or an aircraft carrier.

Repeating debunked myths does not make them true. First off, LeMay removed the machine guns because the bombing raids were losing so few planes due to Japan's pitifully weak air defenses. How can you not know this? Hoyt:

General LeMay called his wing commanders to meet at his Quonset hut headquarters on Guam. He showed them the results of the [February 26] Tokyo firebomb raid. . . . His XXI Bomber Command was going to switch to night raids.​
Moreover, they were going to change their entire tactics. No more high-altitude raids. They would go in low, 5,000 to 6,000 feet, and the crews would be reduced to save weight for more bombs. . . . Japanese anti-aircraft defenses were nothing like the German, LeMay knew from his European Theater experience. He anticipated losses due to flak would be only 5 percent. . . .​
Only two aircraft had been lost to flak to date because the Japanese relied on searchlights and radar, while the German flak batteries were controlled electronically. . . .​
What about fighters? Somebody asked.
That would not be a problem. The Japanese had only two groups of night fighters in all the home islands, LeMay said. “That’s why I’m sending in the B-29s without machine guns or ammunition.” (Edwin Hoyt, Inferno: The Fire Bombing of Japan, New York: Madison Books, 2000, Kindle Edition, locs. 231-243)​

Two, by April 1945, nearly all of Japan's top civilian leaders, including Hirohito, wanted to surrender. This has been so well documented that it is amazing that you would get on a public board and claim that "the Japanese had no intention of surrendering." Good grief, that is inexcusable fiction given what we've known for at least two decades now. The whole reason that Hirohito and Kido engineered Tojo's forced resignation was to get a more moderate prime minister who would help them end the war, and in a few months they got just that person in Admiral Suzuki, who played a crucial role in overcoming the militarists' opposition to surrender. How can anyone who claims to be a serious researcher on this subject not know this stuff?

Three, as for your pathetic exaggerations about Japan's military capability to repel an invasion, they are just laughable. On what planet did Japan have "thousands of suicide boats" and "tens of thousands of kamikaze aircraft" ready to repel an invasion?

Japan's total number of military aircraft of any kind by mid-1945 was about 9,000, and many of those aircraft were not fit to be called "military" in any meaningful sense of the word, not to mention the fact that Japan was so low on fuel that they were training new pilots using movies instead of actual air training. Where in the devil do you get the claim that Japan had "tens of thousands" of kamikaze planes available?

And "thousands of suicide boats"???!!! Not on this planet. And, pray tell, what fuel would those alleged thousands of boats have used? Who would have piloted them? How would they have even gotten near a U.S. Navy ship that had even minimal weaponry? The Japanese navy was virtually non-existent by early 1945, as was Japan's merchant sea force, especially in the waters around Japan. Where do you get this figure of "thousands of suicide boats"? This dubious figure must be heavily counting small fishing boats and other small commercial vessels, which would have been easily and quickly blown out of the water if they had tried to approach even a smaller-sized American destroyer, much less a heavy cruiser, a battleship, or an aircraft carrier.

By early May 1945, US Intelligence estimated that the Japanese has some 246,000 military personnel on Kyushu of which about 128,000 were in Army ground combat units. The Intelligence Staff estimated that the four additional divisions expected by 1 November 1945 and the increase in support troops would add another 100,000 men to the total on the island.

By early June, further intercepted communications had revealed that the Japanese had moved two more divisions to Kyushu, one from Hokkaido and another from Korea, while activating two Army-level headquarters in north and south Kyushu. As the Japanese tended to subordinate three divisions to an army-level headquarters, it tended to confirm that the Japanese were aiming to deploy six combat divisions on Kyushu, evenly split between the two parts of the island. Added to this, the Japanese seemed to be preparing to conduct wide-ranging suicide attacks with one series of messages indicating that up to 2,000 obsolete planes were being used to equip and train Kamikaze units, in some cases for night operations.

"Operation Downfall"

America figured it would lose at least 200,000 men invading the southern island of Japan.

Two, by April 1945, nearly all of Japan's top civilian leaders, including Hirohito, wanted to surrender. This has been so well documented that it is amazing that you would get on a public board and claim that "the Japanese had no intention of surrendering."
Yaaaaawn. A tired revisionist argument unsupported by any fact.

You speak as if Japan was a giant democracy and not the dictatorship that Japan was. And of course let us not forget that you claim (wrongly) that Japan only surrendered because Russia entered the war. Now your contradicting that claim by stating Japan wanted to surrender long before Russia fired one shot at the Japanese?

You are so full of shit with your crap you can not even keep your own revisionist history straight.

Had Japan wanted to surrender, they would of. The fact is they only surrendered to the USA after a 2nd atomic bomb was dropped on Japan.

One bomb destroying a entire city is pretty scary shit.

My 12 year old granddaughter was asking about Japan the other day. She thought it looked like an interesting country to visit.

I reminded her that Japan was the only country on earth that was such a terrible country that it made another country mad enough to drop atom bombs on them.

My 12 year old granddaughter was asking about Japan the other day. She thought it looked like an interesting country to visit.

I reminded her that Japan was the only country on earth that was such a terrible country that it made another country mad enough to drop atom bombs on them.
anger had nothing to do with it, no more than using bullets, bombs, torpedoes, and any other weapon in our arsenal

What is a interesting fact, is no other country in the world has advanced from the medieval world to the modern world in less time.

And I dont think any other country has embraced the USA and our culture as much as the USA.

War is hell, for losers and winners, for those who fought with a medieval mentality, for those who followed the Geneva convention.

As inventions go, Nuclear Weapons have done more to foster peaceful co-existence than any other.
I agree but I also think that we will see these horrors employed again, at some point. Humanity could be on the edge of annihilation within a couple of hours from the first weapon being detonated. Rather than becoming more circumspect, we seem to be losing our collective minds at a time when we least can afford to do. For example, there are huge numbers of fools in the U.S. and many more in Europe who think Iran having the bomb either will not happen OR that if it does, no big deal, they have just as much a right to them as anyone else.

Forum List

Back