Parents Of Michigan High School Shooting Suspect Charged With Four Counts Of Involuntary Manslaughter

I've seen nothing to note that the parents were aware he had taken the gun. Maybe the authorities know things we do not but that is what I'm asking.
I didn't see anything. To charge them with manslaughter it would seem they at least arguably broke some law. I guess we'll find out.

They're probably broke already, but if the report of them blowing off a school meeting are correct, they're gonna get sued.

I've seen nothing to note that the parents were aware he had taken the gun. Maybe the authorities know things we do not but that is what I'm asking.
That's reasonable, but I would suspect that there's some evidence or the charges wouldn't be entertained. This thread will soon develop into a debate over whether the evidence is valid or not, etc., etc.
And a whole pile of other sh-t on parental responsibility.

Parents have the ultimate responsibility for the child.
So, tell me:
My friend raised her children in the family setting. Both parents in a loving, warm home. When in high school, their daughter started doing drugs. They have done everything. Everything to keep her alive and get her the help she needs. It's killing them.
The girl stole from every job she had. Should the police have gone to her mother's workplace and arrested her for theft also?

I didn't see anything. To charge them with manslaughter it would seem they at least arguably broke some law. I guess we'll find out.

From the state of Michigan... not sure what constitutes "unlawfully stored"

You may be criminally and civilly liable for any harm caused by a person less than 18 years of age who lawfully gains unsupervised access to your firearm if unlawfully stored. As such, a trigger lock, gun case or other device designed to prevent unauthorized access to a firearm is strongly recommended.

That's reasonable, but I would suspect that there's some evidence or the charges wouldn't be entertained. This thread will soon develop into a debate over whether the evidence is valid or not, etc., etc.
And a whole pile of other sh-t on parental responsibility.
The parents are scum bags in my personal opinion if it is true that they refused to allow the cops to talk to their son and the mother sent the text they claim. Not sure it rises to murder but that will depend on the actual laws in that State. My personal opinion is drag them to court for their egregious actions that can be proven.

Not defending him at all.....

But I will defend the parents, they are not responsible for his crime. They are most likely guilty of a few things when it comes to his crime but manslaughter ain't one of them.
I don’t think you understand involuntary manslaughter, which is what they’ve been charged with. It doesn’t require intent, it requires some measure of reckless disregard for life. Every state’s definition is different but I have no doubt that this prosecutor has carefully considered the burden before laying the charges, she knows she’ll face the wrath of the NRA and the rabid gun owners of America (as opposed to responsible gun owners, who doubtless support this approach to accountability). These parents were made aware that their kid was exhibiting troubling behavior at school with an intersection to guns and ammo. If they’d been paying an ounce of attention to his social media and the content of his phone, they’d have known he was intent on a mass shooting. I hope they spend a long time in prison after being judged by their peers and I hope this starts a trend as I’m sick of gutless prosecutors failing to hold parents and guardians responsible when kids get access to guns and kill other kids and even adults.

Although the parents may not be criminally responsible....the more I hear about these text messages between the mom and her son....the more any sympathy I had for them, vanishes...

Example....when the school shooting hit the news....the mom texted her son and said "Ethan, don't do it" -- hard to claim the parents were not aware of anything if this is what they text during a school shooting..she didn't text "OMG, are you ok!!" -- nope -- she just asked him not to do it...

At least one of the two is a known trumpanzee. Another one off the streets and removed from society. Good riddance.

The parents are scum bags in my personal opinion if it is true that they refused to allow the cops to talk to their son and the mother sent the text they claim. Not sure it rises to murder but that will depend on the actual laws in that State. My personal opinion is drag them to court for their egregious actions that can be proven.
Dial yourself back; murder isn't being charged.
This shit happens every day, but this one differs in that there's a huge precedence that could be established.

They're probably broke already, but if the report of them blowing off a school meeting are correct, they're gonna get sued.

They seem to be perhaps quite irresponsible.........the kid seemed to have issues. I would argue that it's incredibly hard for parents to get their kid help when he needs it. On the other hand it once wasn't a crime for a kid to be interested in things like guns. So, I don't know.

Dial yourself back; murder isn't being charged.
This shit happens every day, but this one differs in that there's a huge precedence that could be established.
I seriously doubt they can get involuntary manslaughter which IS a form of murder. But perhaps other charges.

Although the parents may not be criminally responsible....the more I hear about these text messages between the mom and her son....the more any sympathy I had for them, vanishes...

I get that. If he had been say at lunch looking up guns and a teacher ratted him out that would be one thing......but then again, maybe the teacher would have a reason to. Maybe there were concerns he was violent.

On the other hand, it appears he was caught in class. You don't tell your kid in that instance to be more careful and not get caught.

Example....when the school shooting hit the news....the mom texted her son and said "Ethan, don't do it" -- hard to claim the parents were not aware of anything if this is what they text during a school shooting..she didn't text "OMG, are you ok!!" -- nope -- she just asked him not to do it...

Yes, good point. As I said, it's very possible that the authorities know far more than we do. I'm just asking questions.

Forum List

Back