Papa John Pizza is the worst

Nosmo King

Send me a good pizza pleeaseeeee!
Pizza, unfortunately, is not a 'durable good'. The shelf life of a good pizza prohibits shipment. You really have to be there.

Twenty odd years ago, I had a project that took me to Naples, Itsly. There, they have a government agency, Pizza Police if you will, to assure the purity of ingredients and the method of production. A Neopolitan pizza MUST be baked in a proper wood fired oven, have buffalo mozzarella cheese, fresh basil (not oregano) and fresh tomatoes. Extra virgin olive oil, hand tossed dough and locally caught anchovies.

Pizza is a sacred food.

Sigh...I know, I know. It was a good thought though.
Hey I do get shipments of things on dry ice that does great...(not pizza, perishables though)
I'll send you good pizza, you send me Dreamland Ribs from Tuscaloosa.

Ahhh It'sa deal!
6797.gif

Nosmo King

Pizza, unfortunately, is not a 'durable good'. The shelf life of a good pizza prohibits shipment. You really have to be there.

Twenty odd years ago, I had a project that took me to Naples, Itsly. There, they have a government agency, Pizza Police if you will, to assure the purity of ingredients and the method of production. A Neopolitan pizza MUST be baked in a proper wood fired oven, have buffalo mozzarella cheese, fresh basil (not oregano) and fresh tomatoes. Extra virgin olive oil, hand tossed dough and locally caught anchovies.

Pizza is a sacred food.

Hey I do get shipments of things on dry ice that does great...(not pizza, perishables though)

Ahhh It'sa deal!
6797.gif
I've thought about ordering it online, but haven't done it yet - a bit pricey:

Tuscaloosa Dreamland Bar-b-que Restaurant

Best ribs in the world.

• Thanks
Reactions: Kat
Nosmo King

Pizza is a sacred food.

Ahhh It'sa deal!
6797.gif

Best ribs in the world.

Will they send it to where you are???

I prefer Donatos Pizza these days. A pizza chain not everywhere but is here in Ohio and I heard that McDonald's owns it. Just ask for double toppings and thin crust. Delivered with a smile.

• Thanks
I prefer Donatos Pizza these days. A pizza chain not everywhere but is here in Ohio and I heard that McDonald's owns it. Just ask for double toppings and thin crust. Delivered with a smile.

You are making me jealous!

The Mom and Pop joints in my area are far too good to order a chain pie. It would be blasphemy.

Have you tried a Papa Murphy's?

Never heard of it. I don't believe there isn't any in area.

They build your pie to order and you bring it home and cook it yourself.
The best part? A 16 inch pie is only 15 bucks and they load it down with toppings of your choice.
You like your crust crispy? Pull the tray out at 14 minutes and let it go for another five.
I shit you not it's the best pie you'll ever eat!!!!
Thick crust,thin or double stacked,your choice.
And you can get a couple of em and cook one the next day.
[/QUOTE]

Problemo! My oven is top of the line but it's too small to bake a large pizza. Papa Murphy only makes large pies.

That REALLY sucks![/QUOTE]

Thats weird,the one by the house has smaller sizes.

Pizza is a sacred food.

Ahhh It'sa deal!
6797.gif

Best ribs in the world.

Will they send it to where you are???
I think they'll send it wherever UPS delivers.

• Thanks
If you ever get to Tucson, eat at Magpies.

Its one Magnificent Pie!

There are several locations and while eating on the patio of one, I struck up a conversation with the chef. I was amazed when he told me the secret to gourmet red sauce. It changed my cooking forever.

But, Magpies also has some really wonderful variations, like the pesto pizza. Way past mere nirvana.

The best pizza shop in town went out of business seven years ago. Orlando's Pizza was a mainstay here from 1953. The owner/operator, Orlando, pushed out large Sicilian (square cut) pizza. He was perpetually covered in flour and displayed a .45 revolver on the butcher block counter where he kneaded and rolled the dough. I think the gun would have exploded in his hand if he ever had to fire it as it too was perpetually covered in flour.

I remember as a wee bairn not being able to see over the counter. But Orlando would snap off a piece of dough about the size of a golf ball and toss it to the little kids to play with. Of course those drams of dough went home and eventually got stomped into Mom's carpet. As a teenager, I would visit Orlano's, sometime with a date. Orlando would slip in a couple extra slices if you brought a girlfriend.

Later, as an adult, Orlando and I would discuss the trials and tribulations of the Pittsburgh Pirates. It was fun in the Roberto Clmente and Willie Stargell era, less enjoyable during the 20 years of Pirate losing seasons.

Orlando was a devotee of trivia and would quiz his customers. If you knew what the only man made object visible from space, you could walk out with a few free slices.

The pizza sold for 20 cents a slice and probably cost Orlando a dime to make. Pepperoni and mushroom and extra cheese were the only toppings at Orlando's.

Every four years the high school alumnae association throws a big all class reunion. Expatriates of my home town flood back home. Everyone wants Orlando's pizza. Alas, I want Orlando's too.

The best pizza shop in town went out of business seven years ago. Orlando's Pizza was a mainstay here from 1953. The owner/operator, Orlando, pushed out large Sicilian (square cut) pizza. He was perpetually covered in flour and displayed a .45 revolver on the butcher block counter where he kneaded and rolled the dough. I think the gun would have exploded in his hand if he ever had to fire it as it too was perpetually covered in flour.

I remember as a wee bairn not being able to see over the counter. But Orlando would snap off a piece of dough about the size of a golf ball and toss it to the little kids to play with. Of course those drams of dough went home and eventually got stomped into Mom's carpet. As a teenager, I would visit Orlano's, sometime with a date. Orlando would slip in a couple extra slices if you brought a girlfriend.

Later, as an adult, Orlando and I would discuss the trials and tribulations of the Pittsburgh Pirates. It was fun in the Roberto Clmente and Willie Stargell era, less enjoyable during the 20 years of Pirate losing seasons.

Orlando was a devotee of trivia and would quiz his customers. If you knew what the only man made object visible from space, you could walk out with a few free slices.

The pizza sold for 20 cents a slice and probably cost Orlando a dime to make. Pepperoni and mushroom and extra cheese were the only toppings at Orlando's.

Every four years the high school alumnae association throws a big all class reunion. Expatriates of my home town flood back home. Everyone wants Orlando's pizza. Alas, I want Orlando's too.

This would be referred to as the good old days.

Forum List

Back